Auction lot of Romans I won: what have I got here?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Eduard, May 24, 2010.

1. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I purchased these two lots of roman denarii at a recent auction. I have never bid on multiple lots before, only single coins, and certainly not w/o first looking in detail at them.

Given the excellent quality of the lots at this auction, however, I went ahead and bid on these two based only on the catalogue description and picture, and won them.

They should get here in the next few days. I wonder exactly what is in them.

These are the catalogue pictures:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Hopefully you an take pics of them when you have them, some look interesting.

4. svessien

svessien Senior Member

I guess this is from the Rauch auction?
    The lots look promising in deed. Congrats.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Thes are a long way from the quality of denarii that usually get sold in lots. There are some great coins in the stack. We will wait for individual photos for details but I see the Titus sow and piglets (very anti-Jewish type issued during the Judean war), Commodus with Apollo Moneta and the Antony legionary. All but four (?) seem to be 2nd Century and in good shape. Most importantly, they do not appear to be recent hoard material that have been harshly cleaned as often is the case with large lot coins. Post individual photos and I'm sure we will have nice things to say.

6. davemac

davemac dave

well done. from the pics looks like some good strikes on them.
    looking forward to your own pics. :):hammer:

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Awsome lots! Cant wait to see the individual pics.

8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Well, the package arrived already ia few days ago, but just now do I get around to taking a few pictures.

I am very pleased with the coins - some scarce and well preserved denarii, and one quinarius were included in this lot.

Here are a few pictures (sorry for the poor quality of the pics).

Attached Files:

9. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

And a few more pictures:

Attached Files:

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

oh wow! very cool, thanks for posting :D that quinarius of Octavian looks cool, and I like the portraits of Sabina and one of the Hadrains alot, but they all look good!

11. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

Wow, that is a cool lot of romans. I love that Hadrian.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What I see here is a nicely selected mix of coins that are either common and nice or interesting and slightly flawed. The Titus and Commodus are premium types that could be in better shape while the group of women are nice examples of the common female coins of the second century. It is not a random mix but a ready made beginning collection of the period. The two Hadrians span the range of his portrait styles as well as two coins could. One Pius is posthumous. One almost has to wonder were are the Trajan and Marcus Aurelius coins that would fill out the set.

13. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Thats a great batch of coins. Glad you took pics of them, thanks for sharing.

14. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Thank you all for your comments.

As mentioned, I am please with what I got. No rarities, but a nice, well composed group, with an Octavian quinarius as bonus.

(One slight dissappointment, if at all, was the Legionary Denarius which is nice but turned out to be a Legio VI - now I have 2 of these.)

As mentioned, this was a very unusual auction due to the large quantity of lots, and the quality of the coins in those lots.

There were for example 4 lots of Julius Caesar portrait denarii, with 6 coins per lot, and 10 lots of Octavian/Augustus denarii with 10 coins in each. I was aiming for a 13-coin lot of Marcus Antonius legionary denarii - (I have a faible for these) - which included 2 x Chortivm Praetoriarvm, and 2 x Chortis Specvlatorvm; but no chance.

Eduard

Draft saved Draft deleted