Auction listed coin-Fake?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by MerlinAurelius, Jul 5, 2017.

1. MerlinAurelius

MerlinAurelius Well-Known Member

Saw someone claiming this coin listed at an auction house was fake. I would like to know what the consensus is here on this coin. Real or fake?
    fake.jpg

Pellinore likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I cannot tell you fake or authentic, but I do not like the looks of the obverse. Just not right.

MerlinAurelius, Pellinore and Smojo like this.
  4. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I agree - but to reiterate your point that it's not settled, there can be a lot of variation between dies. Analogously sometimes old master paintings look plainly wrong and totally out of time, but have secure provenance or technical evidence that they're genuinely old.

MerlinAurelius and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Bing

That's why I won't call it out as fake. It might help to know the weight and measurements as well.

Nerva likes this.
  6. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

IMG_0539.JPG
    This from a recent auction really bothered me. I went to view the sale and asked auctioneer. They just said it had 'been through their processes' and that there was a money-back guarantee of authenticity. Beware those guarantees, I say! It's extremely hard to prove that something is certainly a fake. It isn't worth the hassle of suing them, and if you did the courts would find it hard to understand the evidence. I'm not saying it's fake, but I wasn't surprised that it didn't sell.

7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

8. red_spork

red_spork Triumvir monetalis

The person who pointed it out is an expert on these types and seems to believe it is of modern style so I'm inclined to agree with him. The auction house pulled it so they seem to agree as well.

Nerva likes this.
  9. Nerva

Nerva Well-Known Member

I'm not disagreeing on the specific case, and it certainly looks close to the fake die above, but experts aren't infallible and there are false positives and false negatives. Plenty of cases of experts who have devoted careers to a narrow specialty and still been caught out. There's a picture at Sotheby's tonight that looks like it was painted in the 1930s. Loads of experts have dismissed it. But it's probably a Frans Hals. Technical evidence places it securely in the seventeenth century.

10. Bing

In this case I believe the expert to be correct. It is a close match to the fake shown by @Ed Snible

Andres2 likes this.
  11. Amentia

Amentia New Member

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Welcome Amentia!

Tell us about your collecting interests.

John

13. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

ehhh..could be... not a exact match for the forgery but very close. it just doesn't "look" ancient made nor old.

Nerva likes this.
  14. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Something about that coin is troublesome, portraiture appears to be non-ancient.

15. ValiantKnight

ValiantKnight Well-Known Member

I think he might be the oldest member here on CT... 106 years old.

16. Theodosius

I noticed that! Congratulations!

17. Theodosius

Actually I am guessing that is a mistake.

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted