Auction gone bad!!

Discussion in 'Auction Listings' started by hammerhead, Mar 21, 2006.

1. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

May not be the place to air this but the lot of foreigns that I sold from here turned into a problem. I traded them for 15 slabbed Ikes. Now after carefull thinking he says he would like his coins back.(no prob right?) Oh by the way I have sold some of them off and would like my coins back, with me keeping 3 as a gift. Does this sound wrong or what?? sad thing is,
    its a forum member who I will not say. What would you do??? David

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

These are his words "

"David, after careful consideration I have decided that I desire to return all of your coins to you and request that you do the same. you can keep the three NGC slabs as compensation for some of the minor coins that I was very fortunate to sell at my coin club meeting at 1.00 for 50 of them."

He said he sold $2.00 worth = 100 of the 464 coins are now gone!!

HMMM..... What to do??

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

My response to your question could range from "Stop thief - give back what's left, let him keep your garbage, and pay him what you got for the ones you sold" to "Tell him to stick it in his ear, and unmask the scumbag" - all depending on the answers to these two questions:
    1. How long was it between his receipt of your coins and his first request to unwind the exchange?
    2. Did he give you any reason, aside from the fact that his club members apparently didn't value the coins much?

5. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

coins were exchanged last week threw the mail, got them yesterday, after almost a week of sending photo's and discussing the coins. The deal was 392 loose foreign coins,72 nazi and soviet coins in flips, and 255 foreign bills for 15 certified ikes. he said monday that he wanted more coins and was unhappy. This day he writes that he sold 100 of the coins and would like to trade back!! If I did not like the deal I do not believe I would have sold any, just requested to undo the deal. How now am I suppose to know what he sold and for how much, other than his word??

#1 the time frame was a day from receipt.
    #2 he said they were not worth the deal

6. sgklee

sgklee Member

100 coins gone? Deal is done! That's life.:whistle: Sgklee

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Seems to that there is plenty of blame to be shared by the two of you.

There's a huge difference between seeing photos of coins, and having the coins in hand. If I sell or trade coins, the other party wants to back out within a week or so of receiving his coins, I would unwind the deal with each of us bearing his own shipping costs - unless the problem was that I had (unknowingly) sent some fakes, in which case I would pay his return shipping expense.

I certainly wouldn't dispose of what I received in trade for at least a week to 10 days.

However, once the other party sells part of his purchase, I don't think he has the right to decide on his own what to pay for them, and in my mind that sale confirmed the transaction with you.

If your sale of part of what he sent you was before he said he wanted to unwind, it seems to me that it was a pretty hair trigger deal, and if it came after he offered to unwind it just served to complicate an already messy situation.

That's my two sen.

8. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

David,

If he has sold some of the coins out of what you traded him for the Ikes, then it's a no brainer! You keep the Ikes and he keeps the remainder of the lot that you traded him. You don't go back on a deal (trade) after you have already sold some of the traded coins!!!!:rolling: :rolling:

If the person persists in their attempt to get the Ikes returned, then I think everyone on the Forums would like to know who it is! We surely wouldn't want to go through a similar situation with the same person!

Frank

9. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

I think you have this backwards?? he sold the coins, I still have all the ones he sent to me. He sold the coins after he said he wanted to undo the deal. Thats why I'm up in arms!! I would not of had a problem undoing the deal, but now before I could respond to him he sold the 100 coins. I woke up to the email about him selling the coins and now wanting to trade back? hmmm.... I'm pretty honest but... which coins are gone?... and for how much?? I think if I would of presented this as an e-bay problem the answers would be very different?? I sure dont want to offend the forum because I live here reading everything posted. I just want an answer to how I should sleep tonight?? David

10. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

I think what should be done is this matter should be left alone until (or if) he answers this.
    If no responce is made to this thread by him then I think we all know who is right?
    In no way did I want to bring this on this forum. I am sorry if anyone thinks my actions were bad.
    And we will leave the next post up to him.:confused: David

11. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

I don't think you should have to trade back.....
    If this happened to me I would say that all of the coins I sent him had to come back or no deal.
    Sure...nice guy to tell you to keep some of the Ikes....but that doesn't cut it for me.....if he sold them he keeps them---kindof like buying something at a store....if you buy it and use it....its yours.

Speedy

12. huntsman53

huntsman53 Supporter**

David,

I don't think anyone on the Forum other than the person you made the trade with, will ever think that your actions were bad! The other person should know that once he has sold some of the coins that you traded him, then the trade is a done deal and you can't go back on it!

Frank

13. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

kinda like sitting down for a hair cut, then requesting to put some back on when he is finished with your new do??

14. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Your first post was a little unclear and sounded like each of you had disposed of some of the coins. Now that you have clarified that aspect, and explained that his sale of 100 coins came after he asked to unwind, I'm in agreement with the general consensus - he absolutely confirmed the trade when he sold off part of it.

15. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I am in agreement how on earth can he ask for the trade to be null & void after he has sold a large number of your part of the trade!! If he wants his stuff back and you are willing to swap then tell him you expect every coin from the original trade returning to you BEFORE YOU RETURN HIS.

De Orc :thumb:

16. hammerhead

hammerhead New Member

Thank you everyone for the answers, I was just hoping that I wasn't acting wrong by telling him no but after all the input I think I can sleep well tonight. Thanks again, David :hammer:

17. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

You might give him 2 options.
    Return whats left of your coins and let you decide the value of whats missing and what of his coins you will keep. or... Live with the deal as in stands now.

18. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

Another Opinion

First off, I can not believe ANYONE would ask to nulify a trade after some of the items involved in the trade are no longer available to return.

Hammer, Either that other person return ALL of the coins (providing your agreeable) to you and you return ALL of the coins. Or the deal is done.

Pick and choose. what a concept.

Hey (PUT IN NAME).... How about you send me 10-1909SVDB's, and I will send you an equal value of 1916D dimes. I will sell some of the SVDB's and then want my 16D's back minus one of course for trouble? Geeeez. what a conept. Oh by the way, I only sold the three highest graded ones, so you will be getting the other 7 back!

Sleep well Hammer, you got my vote...

19. CoinOKC

CoinOKC Don't Drink The Kool-Aid

Put yourself in the shoes of a dealer. What would a dealer do?

First, the dealer would say, "I'll offer you "X" amount of dollars for the remaining coins". The seller can either accept or refuse the dealer's offer.

Second, the dealer would say, "Here are the slabbed Ikes you initally sold to me. The price is "X" amount of dollars". The buyer can either refuse or accept the dealer's offer.

That's business, plain and simple.

In your case, HAD HE NOT SOLD ANY OF THE COINS, it would have been gracious of you to make an even exchange (minus shipping costs, of course).

But, he's not offering to return the exact items of the initial deal. So, therefore, the offer is unbalanced and you have every right to refuse the exchange.

20. Dockwalliper

Dockwalliper Coin Hoarder

I think that the 10 post Min. for the open forum needs to be rethought.

21. bigd349

bigd349 New Member

David

It's a done deal. Once your partner sold even just one of his coins, then that is his way of telling you he accepts and wants them. He took the profits from the coins and put them in his pockets, right, now he wants his coins back too. No way, Not today. You have every right to tell this person NO, and you would be a foolish to do otherwise.

Dave