AU58 coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Boxeldercoin, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

When buying coins check out coins graded as AU58. I have noticed that a lot of AU58 graded coins are better than most of the MS60 thru MS62 coins. AU 58 coins are AU coins with no problems and MS60 thru MS62 coins are mint state coins usually with some problems. I am not saying to not buy mint state coins as I buy lots of them, but in mint state I try to buy MS64 or higher coins but with some dates these can get pricey in that high of grades. So, check out those AU58 coins and see what you think. Jim :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

All au58 coins are better than MS60 coins.

4. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Not necessarily.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

But most times.....:)

I'll take a 'slight rub' '58 over a bag marked '60-'62 any day. :)

6. cciesielski01

cciesielski01 Laced Up

the majority of the au-58 coins will be nicer looking than their mint state cointerparts but they will have a slight amount of rub in the high points tthat the mint state coins dont have. that being said the au58 coin to me is a nicer example *usually.

cody

7. mouse

mouse Active Member

When I buy a coin graded or not I look for eye appeal. I would rather a AU 58 with great I appeal then a ms 65 without eye appeal

8. Morgandude11

I think AU 58 coins can be incredible values sometimes. However, if one is a MS collector, they're really not filling the bill. Are SOME Au 58 coins more attractive than low grade MS? Yes. Are they consistently better? Not always. They are comparatively best "bang for the buck" compared to MS 60-62 coins in that price category.

9. green18

Completely agree 'dude........:)

10. Boxeldercoin

Boxeldercoin New Member

I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Morgandude11

Don't know that I'd pick the AU 58, all things being equal. This is a "tough date" Morgan in nice condition, and two examples of it--AU 58, and low level MS. I know which I'd rather have based on eye appeal. Based on price, it is a whole different ball game. :)

$(KGrHqF,!jkE6FDfneOZBOsuds1k8!~~60_3.jpg $(KGrHqV,!jUE6D3ilmTvBOsudz1BGw~~60_3.jpg 20101798.jpg 20101798r.jpg

12. green18

When you're pickin' commem's (classic), sometimes ya need the '58-'55 safe harbor of affordability.......:)

13. Morgandude11

Oh, I agree--of those two Morgans, the AU 58 is $450, and the MS 62 is $3800. Quite a difference there, price wise.

14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I buy AU58's all the time. In fact you could call it a buying secret of mine. :yes:

15. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

I thought this coin would be higher, but its au 58
    1920 Pilgrim.jpg

16. green18

And quite nice indeed Tyler. :)

17. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

Thanks.... and also you have the date for these Pilgrims wrong in your album :)

18. green18

How so Tyler?

19. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think this is the best way to think about this. Often, AU58 coins have very nice eye appeal and are wonderful bang for the buck. However, MS60 coins are technically better and have higher value. Also, sometimes you will find a very nice looking low MS coin. I would say that generally...AU58 coins have better eye appeal than MS60-62 but that is a guideline, not a rule.

20. green18

Oh dear......he's correct. Thank goodness for YN's to point out old codger mistakes.......:)

21. Tyler G.

Tyler G. Active Member

:)

Draft saved Draft deleted