AU or XF?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Pickin and Grinin, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Thanks for the break down folks,
    There is nothing wrong with getting opinions of grade. Either to check your skills personally or to help someone else learn.

I do hear ya. the surfaces do have a few dings compliments of being circulated. The majority though are bag marks.

You mean ETSY right?

Kentucky and -jeffB like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

In general most people aren't good at grading circulated memorials. I think part of it is most people don't care since circulated memorials are seen as "pocket change" and in most cases essentially "valueless" outside of mint state.

This coin is pretty worn, most obvious wear is on the memorial. I'm at EF-40/45 at best. No way this makes AU, it would need to be showing some red and some luster IMO.

MIGuy likes this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

It has plenty of luster, enoigh luster left to get an XF, Maybe these are better photos.
    Actually, I will refrain from Photoing coins with a buzz from now on. Those are terrible photos of the surfaces.
    upload_2022-6-19_17-20-55.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-19_17-21-22.jpeg

-jeffB likes this.
  5. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion, but the wear on the lower jaw separating the neck downgrades this coin to EF, certainly not AU. The reverse could be AU, but since the overall grade is determined by the most worn part of the coin, it seems to me to be EF. Again, just my opinion.

Cheech9712 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  6. Pickin and Grinin

Great point Wopper! The neck is worn into the Jaw line. There is some slight separation, The brow does meet the cheek by way of the temple. It still has the AU bump in todays standards.

whopper64 likes this.
  7. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

You're right when you state "todays standards", especially when it comes to IHC. I guess I should not be upset since quite a few of my IHC's & Lincoln cents are graded higher than what I would grade them myself (NGC/PCGS/ANACS).

8. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Lol

9. montynj3417

montynj3417 Active Member

Yes! It said: "Very Sharp Coin!" in the listing.

J.T. Parker likes this.
  10. Peter M Black

Peter M Black Active Member

11. Peter M Black

Peter M Black Active Member

Here are the top 4 1980D's from a tube I have. (I can send a picture of the reverses of these, and also the other 46 from the tube if I get a screaming demand for same.) What in the world is a "cottonwood round" anyway? I'm not sure whether mine ever saw a "cottonwood round" so maybe I shouldn't be sending my reply. I don't know mine are EF's or AU's or otherwise, and I've got alon so far without knowing.. I hope I'm not offending anybody with this reply - it's just that it's a raining day outside and I have too much time on my hands!
    img021.jpg

BadThad likes this.
  12. Joe Rohrbaugh

Joe Rohrbaugh My prize AU-55 coin

This is NOT a wheat penny! Do you mean the steps?

13. Pickin and Grinin

It was friendly, Sone of the old timers around here think that a Memorial under MS just isn't worthy. It has to have some Wheat Ears.
    Learn from their mistakes. Coins are ever evolving.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Just Ed’s horse cents

Draft saved Draft deleted