Atwood-Coffee Owners: Help Request

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by SorenCoins, Aug 1, 2022.

1. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!

I recently purchased some Beloit Bus Company token when I was in South Beloit, Illinois. It was awesome to buy a token at an antique mall in the actual town (I bought them in South Beloit, but I passed through Beloit, Wisconsin to get there so it counts, lol).

Anyways I looked them up in TokenCatalog and saw this:
    Screen Shot 2022-08-01 at 12.36.18 PM.png

I see listings for AC WI 70 B, C, and D. But... what does AC WI 70 A look like? I was hoping someone here who has the Atwood-Coffee catalog could help me out.

Thanks,

SorenCoins

mlov43 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

I'm not sure what you mean by "AC". I have the B, C, and D and have never seen the 70A but it's 19mm and Beloit Traction company.

I suspect it's scarcer than the $2 catalog price suggests.

SorenCoins likes this.
  4. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

Hey! Thank you so much for taking the time to check that out. I have often seen "AC" as a shortened form for Atwood-Coffee, much like "KM" for Krause and Mishler.

So, it seems 70A is not for Beloit Bus Company. That helps a lot! I found one on eBay that could be 70A:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/372652542917

Very good to know.

Since you have 70B, 70C, and 70D -- I have another question for you if you don't mind.

What is the difference between 70B and 70C? I can tell that 70D is different because it has two diamonds/rhombuses separating the phrases "GOOD FOR" and "ONE FARE," but I do not see anything on TokenCatalog that distinguishes 70B and 70C.

5. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

Not much. 70B is brass and 70C is bronze. Most of the ones I've seen are easy enough to tell apart but both metals sometimes look brass and sometimes bronze. The brass 70B is usually tan and 70C brown. An Unc that I've never seen would be red. I'd be surprised if their definitions don't overlap as well. AC says 70B was made in 1944 and C in '47.

Draft saved Draft deleted