Attribution Trouble

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Youngcoin, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

Hello everyone I've been trying to attribute this coin for quite some while now and Its very challenging and this one I just can't get, so bear with me can I have some help? It was a very kind gift from @Valentinian here's the coin I thought Nero at first but I don't think so. Thank's for all of the help!

20171205_220915.jpg 20171205_220931.jpg

Thanks,
    Jacob

TJC and Alegandron like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Hi Jacob,
    Yeah, if you're not familiar with coins of the period of the one you are looking to identify... it can be tough.

If you have any experience using spreadsheets this link is soooo helpful for many of the more common coin types you will run across: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/dane/

Go to the IOVI CONSERVATORI list and see if that can help you narrow it down. If you can't open or don't know how to use the spreadsheets... I'm sure more hints will come! (hint... think 300s AD) Oh and use the "Jupiter Follis" tab.

Another hint is that it is an Augustus rather than Caesar... due to the obverse legend starting with IMP and ending with AVG.

Josh

Alegandron likes this.
  4. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

Hint 2: On the reverse... that's a wreath to the left (that you can just barely see in the lower left) and a gamma to the right... start there.

5. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

Can you read the reverse legend? It belongs to Jupiter = IOVI
    and follows with CONS-ERVATORI AVGG
    A search on vcoins or elsewhere will limit the options.

6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Hmmm...could be Licinius

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

What a nice gift!

Here's another useful site for attributing late Roman bronzes (LRBs), and once you've browsed various Roman eras you'll be able to tell at a glance that a coin such as yours is indeed an LRB.

https://www.tesorillo.com/aes/_rev/index1i.htm

I've linked to the page where you can find the reverse types because that is usually the easiest way to begin the identification process if you're having trouble reading the obverse.

TJC and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted