Attribution Quiz #2 - Victor Clark

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by LaCointessa, May 28, 2017.

1. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Constantine obv.JPG Constantine camp gate rev.JPG Several CT members sent me coins from their collections to help me learn how to determine the attribution of ancients. This is one of the coins that Victor Clark sent to me. As I try to attribute the coins I am sure I will make mistakes or omissions. I will post them as I accomplish them and I hope our CT experts will chime in and correct my errors. Thank you Victor!!

Here is my tentative attribution of the coin:

It's a "Campgate."

We call these coins "campgates" but the reverses may not depict campgates. I believe the "signaling tower" theory. There's a good article about this in an old Celator (Vol 18, No. 1, January 2004), Campgate Bronzes and Roman Fire Signalling, Murray K. Dahm.
    (Thanks to @TIF)

Obv:
    CONSTAN - TINVS AVG
    Head laureate, draped, cuirassed bust right
    Constantine II, AD 327-328,
    Bronze
    3.4 grams
    19.05 mm

Rev:
    PROVIDEN TIAE AVG
    campgate with two turrets, dot above right turret, ten layers, door handle or dot on door.
    Mint Mark SMANTE in exergue
    Mint: Antioch

Question: Has anyone seen one of these coins with a 10 layer campgate?
    The rows vary on campgates, but yes I have seen 10 rows - Thanks to @Victor_Clark).

What about the dot above the right turret which I don't see on other campgate (or city gate) reverses?
    The dot you are talking about is actually part of the turret and is on both of them. [The dot on the door] is definitely a dot, being used as a control mark. Dots appear frequently in many different places.
    [T]he potentially confusing part though.. [a dot] may not be a control mark; but a centering mark. I have a page about these-- http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/dots/
    (Thanks to @Victor_Clark)

These issues make me think *RIC:505 attribution which is the closest, is not correct.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

ProvidentiaeAnt71.JPG

Constantine I

A.D. 326- 327

CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; laureate head right.

PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; camp gate, two turrets, no doors, star above; • in doorway

In ex. SMANTE

RIC VII Antioch 71

the rows vary on campgates, but yes I have seen 10 rows (see above)

the dot you are talking about is actually part of the turret and is on both of them

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Constantine II 17.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II
    AE3 Follis
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C - Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust left
    REVERSE: PROVIDENTIAE CAESS - Campgate with two towers, 10 rows and star above. SMANTB in ex.
    Struck at Antioch, 325-335 AD
    2.81g, 18mm
    RIC VII 65

Constantine II 19.jpg
    CONSTANTINE II
    AE Follis
    OBVERSE: CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, laureate head right
    REVERSE: PROVIDENTIAE CAESS, campgate with two turrets, star above, eSIS(double crescent) in ex.
    Struck at Siscia 328-29 AD
    2.9g, 20mm
    RIC VII 216

5. LaCointessa

I see little decorative knobs on top of the turrets!! Oh Constantine I. But really, that looks just like a door knob or knocker. But I'll refer to it as a dot. Thank you, again, Victor

chuck123 likes this.
  6. LaCointessa

Thank you, Bing. I count, like 14 'layers' in the campgate in the lower coin. I did see reference to campgate with up to 12 by another mint (something with an "A" but not Antioch).

That top coin has a delicious color.

BTW, I will be going back over all your posts to carefully read and compare and see where I have gone wrong and to compare with the examples you posted. Thank you all so much. I can't tell you how tired my eyes are right now.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  7. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

That is a fantastic gift you got from Victor Clark. I've always been a big fan of campgates, yet surprisingly I still don't have one. I may have to gift myself one for my b-day in August.

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. LaCointessa

LooLll, Sallent - I see how you did that! I love this campgate coin. It's so cool and I love that it has many 'layers.'

9. Victor_Clark

It's definitely a dot, being used as a control mark. Dots appear frequently in many different places. A few examples...the Thessalonica campgate below has a dot in the right field.

PROVIDENTIAE Thessalonica153b.jpg

Constantine I
    A.D. 326- 328
    CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; laureate head.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; camp gate with two turrets and star between them, • in right field.
    in ex. SMTSB
    RIC VII Thessalonica 153

The Siscia campgate below has two dots in the mintmark and a bunch of dots in the top and bottom row of the campgate, which are merely decorative.

PROVIDENTIAE AVGG Siscia 200.JPG

Constantine I
    A.D. 326- 327
    CONSTAN-TINVS AVG; Laureate head right.
    PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; camp gate, two turrets, no doors, star above.
    in ex. • BSIS •
    RIC VII Siscia 200

This example from London has a dot in the bottom of the doorway and a dot in the brick above the doorway.

PROVIDENTIAE London 293 var.JPG

Constantine I
    A.D. 324-5
    CONSTANT-INVS AVG; Laureate bust
    PROVIDEN-TIAE AVGG; camp gate with two turrets and star between them, dot in bottom of doorway.
    in ex. PLON
    RIC VII London 293 var.

This is the potentially confusing part though...the dot above the arch is not a control mark; but a centering mark. I have a page about these-- http://www.constantinethegreatcoins.com/dots/

dlhill132, Bing, Johndakerftw and 7 others like this.
  10. LaCointessa

Thank you @Victor_Clark. Something my brain will enjoy thinking about.

11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

A neat coin

LaCointessa likes this.
  12. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Fantastic, @LaCointessa! What a nice gift, and good job with the attribution :)

A couple of years ago I bought a group lot containing many campgates. Here's one of the better coins from that group:

[​IMG]
    Constantine I, RIC VII Antioch 84, SMANTE

This was discussed recently but I'll post it again here: We call these coins "campgates" but the reverses may not depict campgates. I believe the "signaling tower" theory.

There's a good article about this in an old Celator (Vol 18, No. 1, January 2004), Campgate Bronzes and Roman Fire Signalling, Murray K. Dahm.

dlhill132, Alegandron, Ajax and 4 others like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Campgates are cool.

So is "desert" (sandy, earthen, Levant) patina like that seen on the first coins posted by @Victor_Clark and @Bing. That contrast makes the design "pop", and for me anyway, coins with contrasting patina or toning like that much more readily "leap off the monitor" at me.

These days I'm more an aesthetic rather than scholarly collector, which is why you'll often find me talking about patinas and toning and designs and such rather than citing RIC numbers.

I learned a while ago that the deeper scholarly work of detailed attribution will never be my strong suit (not in ancients, anyway), but I do love reading and learning about them. And I'm glad other people like to dig deep in the reference books, because research and knowledge like that benefits everyone when it's shared.

Last edited: May 29, 2017
    LaCointessa and TIF like this.
  14. lordmarcovan

PS- it looks like the coin he sent you also has some traces of the original silvering?

That's always nice. A big plus.

LaCointessa likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

PPS- I just looked at my old collection and it seems my first (maybe only) campgate was this Constantine I. Probably common as dirt, but it was cheap, and I liked it.

Speaking of dirt, note the sandy patina and my earlier comment about that.

[​IMG]

dlhill132, Ajax, Bing and 3 others like this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Congrats on adding that sweet campgate, LaCointessa

Constantine II open door campgate follis

Minted 325-326
    Diameter: 19.0 x 20.9 mm
    Weight: 3.1 grams
    Obverse: Constantine II right, CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C

Reverse: 12 row campgate with open doors, 4 turrets and star above, VIRTVS CAESS, TA(crescent)RL in exergue
    Reference: RIC VII:294 for Arles

constantine II rocks.jpg

:rolleyes:

dlhill132, Ajax, Bing and 5 others like this.
  17. TIF

TIF Always learning.

That's such a great coin!!

I bought that group lot of campgates in part because the picture suggested they had a lot of silvering and I didn't have any campgates or any LRBs with retained silvering. Everyone always says "ooh, it has some of the silvering" so I thought the silvering would be a good thing.

Not to disparage other people's taste, but after seeing the coins, I decided I don't like silvering-- at least not on most of the coins in the lot I bought. Perhaps if it were pristine, yeah... but when it is patchy it can camouflage the coin's details even if the relief is well-preserved.

Andres2, stevex6 and LaCointessa like this.
  18. lordmarcovan

Good point, but I don't think it looks bad in LaCointessa's OP example, if that is in fact silvered (it's hard to tell from the photos?)

But yeah, I'm of a similar mind with some of the heavy, mottled toning collectors of US coins often gush about. So what if it has "rainbow" colors, if those colors are in a puke-splash pattern and the toning obscures the coin?

So ... yeah, I get what you're saying.

But generally speaking, silvering on LRBs, like colorful toning, can be a plus. IF it's well-distributed.

@TIF is gonna make me start appending asterisks and footnotes to my already verbose posts, it seems. Sheesh! *

*-;)

LaCointessa likes this.
  19. LaCointessa

@TIF - Thank you for your feedback, information about the history behind the name 'campgates' and for posting yours. This one you posted has 12 'layers!" And it is beautiful.

@Victor_Clark - I must examine my coins and photographs of ancients much closer. I did not at first see that dot above the door in the third coin, above. I suppose I will forever ask myself "why this dot and why here?" I'll understand a centered dot. But a way off-centered dot in the field, when the maker of the coin could have used the same place the 'turret ornament' would be placed, will probably always confound me just a wee bit.

@lordmarcovan - I loooove that sandy color and contrast, too! I fell in love with Bing's coin. I love the silvery one as well. I wonder if I can take better photographs. I'll see if I can. Probably should shoot the lighter/silvery ones against a black background. I'll be more careful to take better photographs in the future. (Sorry, Victor!).

"Puke-splashed?" You got the first giggle out of me this morning (as well as my first "Ewwwww!). Thank you!

@stevex6 - Wow! 12 "layers" - Cool! And 4 turrets! Open doors!!
    (I am impressed by your campgate). I would feel very safe and secure behind those gates! And it looks like there are many dots on the interior side of your doors - but I can't see it closer up. Amazing campgate. Thank you for posting it!

stevex6 and TIF like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great campgate @LaCointessa :

I only have one to offer:
    RI Crispus 317-326 CE AE Folles Caesar in Trier Campgate - Heraclea mint.jpg
    RI Crispus 317-326 CE AE Folles Caesar in Trier Campgate - Heraclea mint

21. Victor_Clark

Arles campgates can be frequently found with 12 layers

Arles305.jpg

Arles306.JPG

the doors from Arles campgates also have a great deal of variety

below is a picture from Bruun's “The Constantinian Coinage of Arelate”

VIRTVS_doors.jpg

I believe that the most interesting campgates can be found from the Rome mint though.

VIRTVS_Rome.JPG

Note that the turrets have windows. Regarding the signal tower versus campgate, I don't believe that it is necessarily always the same thing depicted and the two ideas are not mutually exclusive- a fortified campgate could have signal towers.

dlhill132, Andres2, zumbly and 7 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted