Attribution help with Alexandrian Tet

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by jb_depew, Apr 27, 2019.

1. jb_depew

jb_depew Well-Known Member

I was hoping my CT friends with knowledge of later Alexandrian tetradrachms might be able to help me with an attribution problem I'm having. I picked up this tet of Aurelian recently, which features Eirene on the reverse.

The closest matches to this type I can find online are Milne 4359 and Curtis 1791. The reverse is described as "Eirene standing left, holding olive branch and transverse sceptre."

However, I see a raised hand (that is big enough to palm a basketball), not an olive branch. Also, my example has the reverse inscription "ETOYC" where others I found do not.

I just ordered a copy of Emmett's work, but wanted to see if any of you had ideas as well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Aurelian AE Tetradrachm, Alexandria
    271-272 AD?
    Obverse: A K L DOM AVPHLIANOC CEB, laureate and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: ETOYC, Eirene standing left, holding olive branch? and transverse sceptre. S in right field.

Thanks!
    Jeremy

arizonarobin, TIF, Justin Lee and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jb_depew

I thought I'd add a little info about Eirene. Exerpt from theoi.com:

EIRENE (Irene) was the goddess of peace and the season of spring. She was one of the three Horai (Horae), deities of the seasons and keepers of the gates of heaven. Her sisters were Eunomia (Good Order) and Dike (Justice).

Eirene's name is the Greek word for peace (eirênê) but it is also closely connected with the word for spring (eiar, eiarinos). In ancient Greece late spring was the traditional campaign season, the time when peace was most at risk.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  4. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Very nice looking Aurelian. Congrats on the pick-up. These later tetradrachms tend to be somewhat reasonably priced, and also highly collectible.

jb_depew likes this.
  6. jb_depew

Thanks for your help! I appreciate it.

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. jb_depew

I think I paid $35 for this one. Looks like a relatively rare coin (R4 in Emmett?) I'll know for sure when my book arrives. I'm relatively new to Alexandrian tets and have been enjoying the coins and research.

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

You will be pleased and surprised when you get your book. Emmett 3935 comes in three years (2, 3, 6). Your six is a beautiful coin with all the important letters clear (you need to practice reading Alexandria squiggle). Many have bad surfaces. This is excellent. $35 is a steal. My only year six is a bird but the legends are the same. I paid $28 which was too much for this common coin in its condition.
    pa2629fd2261.jpg

9. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Very nice!

Here's my year 5 eagle:

[​IMG]
    Aurelian, Ruled 270-175 AD
    AE Tetradrachm, Egypt, Alexandria
    Struck 273/274 AD
    Obverse
    : A K Λ ΔOM AVPHΛIANOC CEB, laureate and cuirassed bust right.
    Reverse: Eagle standing facing wings open, head right, holding wreath in beak, ЄTOVC Є to right and left, RY 5.
    References: Emmett 3924, Dattari 5490
    Size: 20mm, 8.4g

Alegandron, TIF, jb_depew and 3 others like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Wow, JB... that is a very attractive coin and the price was a steal!

Draft saved Draft deleted