Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

So far, Draped Bust Obverse and Reverse of 94/95.

If you didn't pay too much, it's worth the fun of attributing it.

I'm immediately drawn to what looks like double leaves left of C(ENT) with the tips about even with the top of C. Probably because it is a diagnostic for the 1795 NC-3. But the ONE CENT is fairly well space and neither too high or low.

I'll keep plugging away. I'd be interested to see whether the date is raised or depressed (which would indicate engraving.) The dark color makes me think engraved, while the shape of the 7 looks correct which doesn't usually happen when engraved.

I think I've spotted it. The double leaf may be a triple leaf and the leaves under AM look right. The spacing of ONE and CENT look right as well. On the Obverse, the date, though dark, looks correct for the S-93.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Moekeever likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Looking at the date the shapes appear correct to me. I don't have it in hand so that might change. I think the coin was severely corroded and someone took a drimel with a buffing wheel to it.

4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just made an impulse buy myself.

S-76a Obv.jpg
    S-76a Rev.jpg
    It was advertised as a Lettered Edge on a large planchet. If true, that would make it a S-76a.

Eduard, Moekeever and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

See my edited post for a possible attribution.

After a second look, my confidence in the S-93 attribution is rising.

6. Moekeever

Nice pickup Marshall! Thanks for the attribution. I haven't looked yet.

Yes the obverse looks right. I have to rely on your expertise for the reverse until I get it in hand. Cool, I don't have the S-93.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I actually like reverses more for quick attribution in 95 and 96 since they have lot's of diagnostics.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I've been following a S-133 on eBay which has been under $61 until today. Apparently a few others have too and decided to bid early. I'm out as it gets over $200 and probably would have had to bow out well before that. My Paypal Credit is getting a little bit out of hand.

But I'm glad I had it for the 76a.

Moekeever likes this.
  9. Moekeever

I need to keep my focus on the 1794's. I keep dropping $$$ on whatever I think is cool. The 1800's and before are interesting but I'm on a mission to buy as many 1794's as possible before the wife figures out how much I'm spending.

This fall I'm going to start unloading all the coins (non large cents) on eBay to free up space in the safes and more $$$$ for my favs.

Kirkuleez and Marshall like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Marshall and Moekeever like this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas morning while waiting to see if this is as described. I was disappointed last time when what I thought might be a 76a from photos turned out to be a 76b with sharp a sharp edge instead. I had a fairly nice one a few years back, but sold it.

12. Moekeever

Hopefully you'll be pleased when it arrives. I got two in the mail today. My s-191 looks nicer in hand than the sellers photos. The s-93 meanwhile looks exactly as the photos.

13. Moekeever

I missed out on this one. image.png image.png

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The 76 arrived today, but unfortunately it was a 76b with edge damage. I'm definitely returning this one.

15. Moekeever

That's too bad it looked like a decent coin.

16. Moekeever

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I would have bowed out too. I wasn't going for that one since I recently picked up a S-202 in the terminal die state VII which was also lightly double struck for about $35.

Moekeever likes this.
  18. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Since I have two friendly EACers in my company, I have a question for you two:

What is the allure of paying large amounts of money for worn-out, damaged copper simply because of its die variety? In many cases, the differences are hardly noticeable, which makes it seem like its not worth it. Is it only because of rarity? I get the thrill of the hunt, but there must be cheaper, more-interesting options?

In the past year, I have gotten several extremely rare coins in nice condition that show up only a few times per decade for fractions of what these large cents bring.

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I believe you are right. Unfortunately, the "letters" are actually just common rim damage and the planchet is not thick or even over sized from a thin planchet. What might be lettering does not match the edge lettering device, but it is possible this was struck on a TAL token. I'll check the weight to see if it's underweight since TAL tokens were underweight, even for thin planchets.

I believe the appearance of thickness is actually sharpness of the edges, which I have seen on some some 76bs. Perhaps the move to the thin planchets did not immediately change the edge rolling process which later became less sharp or squared.

Eduard likes this.
  21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Much like any collectable, the desire to own something others cannot, at least in large numbers, is alluring. Of course, demand is the reason the price goes up since even rare items without it will not bring a premium.

But in this case, coins also represent a piece of history as well. Just think, many of the 18th century coins might have been held by our founding fathers. Ancient collectors have coins which were held by people long since departed and it's a way of connecting with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted