Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I find it amazing that you all can ID these varieties with so little detail, that is probably why I can easily avoid these, I would have to spend a year researching each one.

:)

Marshall likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I cannot come up with a better match than S-170; however, I cannot dismiss a few points on the reverse that give me pause.

1. I see no evidence of a stem on the berry at (N)E.

2. No scratch at the end of the left wreath stem.

3. Right wreath stem appears to intersect the ribbon closer to the knot.

4. No evidence of clash marks seen on Reverse U.

5. What appears to be a filled in area between the right ribbon and the right wreath stem near the intersection.

Perhaps these can be accounted for by PMD, Die State differences or strike issues like grease in the die.

4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just picked this up. Take a shot at attribution.

S-195 Obv(5).jpg S-195 Rev(5).jpg

5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very quick glance says S-196.

Marshall likes this.
  6. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Looks like reverse F so I say S-195.

Marshall likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Attribution Diagnostics:

OBVERSE

The 9 undertype in the first 0 is boldly visible. It is distinctly a 9 and not a chip eliminating the Q variety (Obverse 7). This is a true overdate. This limits known obverses to 1-6.

The obverse retains the curl of type 2 (not yet worn smooth) so we can eliminate Obverse 1.

All of the upright of T is above and a little more distant from the hair of Obverse 2. The 8 is also close, but equally spaced between the 1 and the first 0 which eliminates Obverse 2 where the T straddles the JHF and is a bit closer. The 8 is also closer to 1 than the first 0 and the date is a little more widely spaced.

The second 0 is low and the shoulder loop is narrow and slightly concave in respect to the rim and the date is closer eliminating Obverse 4 which is wider, straight to slightly convex in relation to the rim with the second 0 higher.

The undertype of the 9 is bold and the second 0 low eliminating a very similar Obverse 5 which has a weak undertype, has a slightly wider date
    and slightly higher second 0.

The undertype is bold and date narrow with a low second 0 eliminating Obverse 6 which has a weak undertype, wider date and 8 closer to 1 than first 0. The shoulder loop is also a bit wider and rounder.

This leaves Obverse 3 as the presumptive Obverse die. This is somewhat confirmed by the edges of the 9/first 0 which were not exactly aligned making them appear thicker than other overdates.

REVERSE

Rather than eliminate all the reverses, I will point toward diagnostic or semi-diagnostic features of this reverse which will help to eliminate alternative reverses.

1. The right stem intersects the right ribbon at the lower part of the intersection with the wreath eliminating reverse E which intersects below that intersection. If there is concern that wear has been the culprit here, the additional points should suffice.

2. The fraction bar is closer to the numerator and below the bend in the ribbon.

3. The berry at (CEN)T is weaker then the berry at R(ICA).

4. The berry at M is close to the wreath vine.

5. The berry at (ON)E is of moderate length and points above the E.

6. The berry at (O)F has a moderate and bold stem which attaches above the point the leaf above (ON)E attaches.

7. While weak, evidence of the crack running from the right side of the outer 0 of the denominator through the right ribbon to the right foot of A, the base of A to just above the bottom of C appears to indicate a middle die state. The break is not evident from C to I, but that might be PMD.

8. A slight depression of the die at the bottom of 1 of the denominator creates a slightly elevated bulge on the coin there.

Here is a comparable:

1800 Rev F - Copy.jpg

So my attribution is Obverse 3, Reverse F or the S-195.

While called R5, this will be my fifth find of this variety. I suspect many relied too heavily on the diagnostic calling the fraction bar thin. While this might be true on higher grade specimens, the copper is too soft to retain it's thinness with wear and is often categorized as an early die state of S-194. But the alternative diagnostics are quite clear.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Moekeever likes this.
  8. Moekeever

I'm glad you picked up this one. I was watching this coin last night and decided not to bid. I have 2 S-195's (maybe more) so I'm spending my dollars elsewhere. Congratulations.

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Thanks for not bidding and thanks for the confirmation of the attribution and also that the S-195s may not be quite as rare as reported.

Moekeever likes this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

That's what I get for glazing over my book too quickly, spending just a few seconds trying to attribute it. I completely skipped over S-195 for some reason. I was wondering where the "horns" on the 8 were.

The diagnostic I was using was the mostly-filled-in upper hole of the 8. Both S-195 and S-196 have this, but S-195 does not have very clear "horns" on the 8.

11. Moekeever

@Marshall
    You got me thinking about the 1800 overdates. I have multiples of each variety (not NC's) except S-191. Not a single one. Plus I still have another 8 that I haven't positively identified yet. None of them are the S-191 though. Just a fluke or not?

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I haven't seen many for a variety which is supposed to be common (R1, R2, R3.) But I did bid on one recently which was unattributed, but lost out. I usually avoid common varieties unless they are a rare die state, but I thought a S-191 was worth the effort. I begun to become interested in all the 1798 and 1800 type one hair varieties.

13. Moekeever

The overdates in my collection were either inherited or I purchased because I liked the overdate. Only recently have I changed my buying habits. My guess is it's a rarer variety than advertised. Looking at past auctions, the S-191 has very low numbers for the ones that were attributed.

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Here are overdate obverses 1-6 of 1800 for convenience:

1800 Obv 1-horz-vert.jpg

Moekeever likes this.
  15. Moekeever

Thanks for the photo. I now have an S-191. Low grade but I'm happy.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Congratulations.

17. Moekeever

1798's. I must be getting tired, sorry for the crappy photos.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

S-166 R1,
    S-150 R5,
    S-187 R1,
    S-163 R4-,
    S-164 R4

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  19. Moekeever

Thanks for the confirmation. Exactly what I had. I have about 20 more 1798's. A few are the overdates but they are very worn.

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Glad to help. It's always good to have confirmation because if somebody else can't see what you see, the attribution is suspect. If they see it after explanation it is good, but on their own is great.

21. Moekeever

Last second impulse buy. I know very bad idea.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted