Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I was attributing a coin listed as S-113, but I think it might have been a 1797 NC-5 which shares the reverse with the 96 S-113, S114 and S115. But it timed out before I could pull the comps I use to verify it. It would be a rough attribution anyway.

Moekeever likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I came up with S-174 based on the stemless berry right at (A)M and the pronounced clash from the head on the left stem which matches up. The berry stem at O(N) and under F also match up. The reverses after O are quite similar.

Here is my comp reverse:
    1798 56              X S-174.jpg

4. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Well I just started on the 1798's as it took me most of yesterday to eliminate the 96's. I hope one day to be half as good as you. Again thanks. I will start reviewing the 1798's to attribute the second 1798 and post it at a later date.

5. planman2014

planman2014 Active Member

On Ebay? Would be very hard but we can try. Have pics of it?

6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Okay @Marshall, what am I looking at? It appears to be a small date/small fraction (but it could be a large fraction), the numerator is high, and the right stem points down the side of A. The E is centered over the wave of hair. (I'm not good at differentiating individual dies, just certain diagnostics). I cannot find a satisfactory match.

IMG_0220.JPG

7. TypeCoin971793

Nevermind. I answered my question. S-257

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Good Attribution. It was a bit more difficulty due to PMD at the HWH making it appear to peak under the far right of the R unlike any known 1803. But the PC (Point of Curl) is at the extreme right of the outer curve of B limiting the choices to S-256 or S-257. (The S-261 has the right PC, but the date spacing is far different.)

The 1 is slightly closer to the hair on the obverse and the reverse confirms it with the right stem pointing to the right leg of the (C)A along with the telltale signs of the flat top of the high 1 indicating a Large Fraction. But if you run across one with damage at the top of the 1, you will also note the S-256 has 1 between dentils while the S-257 is centered over a dentil.

ps The tip of the leaf at (N)T is a good diagnostic as it moves from just covering the base of T to almost touching the right serif as well as inside to directly underneath to right of the serif. It is particularly useful in eliminating reverses quickly from those you wish to look at more closely.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  9. Moekeever

@Marshall I need your help with attributing my newest lady friend. The reverse has me stumped. The ribbon knot kinda looks like a S-18 but maybe there's a scratch there that's throwing me off. Not the best 1794 but other than someone scribed "1794" crudely, she's a keeper.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  10. Moekeever

Or S-56, the office boy reverse? Those two are the closest I can determine.

11. Moekeever

On a side note. Did you ever complete the edge lettering project that you had in another post from 2010?. I have a lot of lettered edges from 1793 - 95 that I could try to photograph for you.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Both obverse and reverse lead me to the same coin. S-22.

Obverse diagnostics include position of the R high above the head and hair curls from bottom to top. Heavy broad curl 1- Divergent 2&3, two short thin curls 4&5, downward pointing curl 6, isolated curl 7 and parallel curls 8&9.

Reverse diagnostics include incomplete left ribbon which fails to reach the wreath and a broad right ribbon attaching above the knot going past the wreath, ribbon and then right stem.

The knot is northwest of the intersection of the stems.

Moekeever likes this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I found good edges on the Boka Collection sight for 94s. But edges just don't get photographed very often, so any photos you could make would be appreciated.

14. Moekeever

2017-07-09 14.53.05.jpg Here are my 1794 and 1795 lettered edges. Unfortunately my 1793's are in plastic prisons and I cannot photograph them. I will try to do each one individually later. Some of the 94's lettering is either missing or corroded and won't be of much help.

Kirkuleez, Eduard, Marshall and 2 others like this.
  15. Moekeever

I photographed the interesting ones. Here you go.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

17. Moekeever

18. Moekeever

19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That's an impressive stack of large cents! I've enjoyed lurking on this thread for the past few months and have found it quite interesting to watch the deliberation and attribution of these historic coins.

Marshall and Moekeever like this.
  20. Moekeever

Purchased this coin online for $17. It was listed as an 1800. I believe it's an 1798 S-170.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

21. TypeCoin971793

I approveth of thy new avatar.

Moekeever likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted