Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

We'll see what my funds are like before I study abroad in the Spring. I may have to take up on your offer.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Thanks Marshall. I thought 97 or 98 but I gave up. Not worth much though, it's another one from the junk box.

4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

That's MY kind of junk...

5. Moekeever

I came in second on this coin and the sellers 1796. Wasn't my night.

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

You may have been fortunate to miss on that S-65. I believe that "Die Break" is Post Mint damage and the gouges in the cap just happen to be on the other side of the coin from those "Die Breaks."

Moekeever likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is a new addition to my high grade problem set:

1796 Obv.jpg
    1796 Rev.jpg

Eduard, Moekeever and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  8. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I like it, damage and all!

Marshall likes this.
  9. Moekeever

Marshall likes this.
  10. Moekeever

I think your right. I just drove the price up substantially for someone. I still would have taken the 1796 though.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Since my High Grade, but damages set now has three coins, I might as well show the other two:
    S-206 Obv.jpg
    S-206 Rev.jpg
    S-226 Obv.jpg
    S-226 Rev.jpg

Moekeever likes this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It does appear to be Die State IX however.
    lf.jpg
    The wear pattern is the same as this Die State IX only with more of the fraction obscured.

Moekeever likes this.
  13. Moekeever

Marshall likes this.
  14. Moekeever

I'm fine with missing out. I can spend that cash on other 94's.

Marshall likes this.
  15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This interesting S-239 is about to end. It appears to be between Die State I and Die State II. The Berry at (N)T is gone but the clash marks at the fraction and (C)A have not yet shown themselves.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. Moekeever

For me, the 1802's is where I start loosing interest in the draped busts. I know they are popular as are the 1803's, but I much rather study and buy the earlier part of the series.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I understand. I start losing interest when most of the series is common. I prefer collecting varieties of less than 100 known which is about R4+.

Moekeever likes this.
  18. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

I have to agree about 1802's and 1803's. These dates seem to suffer under the stigma of being too plentiful and therefore uninteresting. Somewhat undeservedly I think as there are some nice varieties. I do still pick them up when i come across a more interesting variety, as for example this S-265 (R4), large date and fraction, bought for $160.

1803 Cent S-265 Obv1-better - 1.jpg 1803 Cent S-265 Rev - 1.jpg

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I hate attributing on an Ends Soonest sort and then the listing expires just as things get interesting. I need to remember to capture the images first or at least watch it to get back to them.

20. Moekeever

Here's an interesting draped bust that came in the mail today with two others I bought as undated. In hand it's either 1798 or 96. Very hard to capture what I see. $22.50 for all. Another is a 1798 I haven't attributed yet. The last one has tape residue so I have to give it an acetone bath.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

21. Moekeever

I try and run a newly listed each day then watch the item and come back a day or two later to attribute. Takes a lot of time according to my wife.

Marshall likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted