Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just picked this up. While it looks like a coin that has been cut in two, it is actually parts of two different coins. The larger piece is 1800 S-206 just like my ICON with a die break under the hair ribbons. The smaller piece is 1802 S-234. There might be another pair somewhere with the remnant of these two pieces. Now do I store them together or separately?

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg

Kentucky, NSP and HoledandCreative like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

HoledandCreative likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

5. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Aways glad to hear when your chasing oid copper. Really glad to hear from you and your obsession

Marshall likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Thank you.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The attribution is clear with the notable die break near the rim behind the hair. S-139. The question is whether the advanced buckling between the state 2 cracks in the left obverse field is sufficient to be a separate die state.

Breen notes state V has advanced buckling there and new buckling at the bust. Noyes notes four states with the last as D/C. This appears more advanced than any of the three Noyes photos of D/C and there are subtle indications of a chip and flaw in the field left of L(IBERTY) where this coin shows a bold break or chip. The buckling behind the hair is certainly stronger and weakness had developed at TED opposite the buckling.

20218154133780.jpg 202181542834.jpg 20218153649637.jpg 20218153524823.jpg

Cheech9712 and HoledandCreative like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I hate to tell you since I should have caught it at the time, but this is the rarer S-50. The separation between the hair and the neck along with hair details should have made this a quick correction.

9. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Well crap. That’s a thousand or so that I missed out on. I concur with your assessment

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I believe I've spotted a second coin which has hints of the state VII crack I've proposed. It is very early and perhaps would even be considered an intermediate die state between VI and mine which forms a CUD between VII and I state cracks.

New on eBay
    S-167 VII confirmation.jpg
    Mine

1912313594521.jpg

1798 S-167 VII.jpg

Would the Crack be state VII and the Cud be state VIII?

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Another comparison:

1798 S-167 VII-vert.jpg

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Your new piece definitely seems to show a die crack from the rim along the left side of the 9 and up into the bust. But it seems to enter the bust further left than the edge of what looks like a retained cud on your first specimen. Also the edge of the coin on your fist specimen also looks interesting. I have frequently seen that same appearance on coins with a cracked planchet. And a cracked planchet can sometimes mimic a retained cud. What does the edge of the original coin look like below the 9?

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Here are a couple of edge shots of the S-167. I don't know if they show the edge well enough to be helpful. Unfortunately I can't focus in when it's enlarged so I have to guess.

Fri Mar 06 09-29-06.jpg Fri Mar 06 09-31-13.jpg

14. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Can't tell if it is a hit or a crack in the planchet.

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

A cracked planchet might well explain what appears to be a retained cud. Thanks for the information. I wonder if it might also explain the "new crack?"

As usual, I appreciate your knowledge and perspective. I've learned so much from you.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

In the copper, there appears to be a ding at the 9, then flat in the middle of the edge, and then another very small ding left of (E)S. I also noticed the top of the state I crack actually looks like it might be a cracked planchet rather than just the crack. It goes about half way across the edge.

What looked obvious may not be what's happened.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Please confirm attribution:

Obverse (2)-horz.jpg

18. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The reverse is definitely Reverse X. The obverse is neither of the more common S-49 or S-54. My initial impression was S-52 (Immediate Purchase), but on second look (After Purchase) I'm leaning toward S-51 which I initially ruled out thinking the L was too close to the cap.

Either way it's either a good purchase or a very good purchase.

If not for almost automatic deductions for Environmental damage, I think it would draw a straight Fr2 with the obverse close to or at AG3 and the reverse on the B-1 to Fr2 borderline.

Heritage Archives shows none receiving a straight grade below VF20.

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Here are a couple of later die state S-201s. The first is consistent with Breen's Terminal Die State VI. The second looks more advanced to me and I call it Die State VII though it's not currently recognized.

upload_2020-3-8_15-10-14.jpeg upload_2020-3-8_15-10-29.jpeg

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm playing around with a couple of recent purchases and photographing them and displaying them. Please critique.

upload_2020-3-12_18-9-25.jpeg

upload_2020-3-12_18-9-58.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted