Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

S-187 with the drooping berry above and left of O in ONE.

C-B-D likes this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I concur, but it's with little confidence since I can't pick up the drooping stem. Thanks for the assist Conder. I see no evidence of the later state die break on the obverse, so it would be an early state.

C-B-D likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The stem is there
    upload_2019-12-31_14-4-13.png

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Unfortunately my eyes are not at the moment. Hopefully a little laser correction on 1/13 will help.

7. HoledandCreative

HoledandCreative Well-Known Member

Best wishes for the new year. Also, the best with the surgery. Dave

Marshall likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The Laser Polish went well. Took about 5 second per eye. The fog has lifted. Now I'll get contacts in a couple of weeks and I should be good to go.

NSP, Dynoking and HoledandCreative like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I couldn't help myself with this one. Great detail other than at the date. Scuzzy from corrosion mostly and perhaps some rim damage. But I paid AG money for a third S-99.

upload_2020-1-17_7-54-34.jpeg

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

My first 1793. Rough but affordable. S-5 R4

upload_2020-1-25_13-8-35.jpeg

11. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

That one would be a tough one to attribute! How were you able to narrow it down to S-5?

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I can see just enough to rotate the reverse to an upright position.

1793 R-5.jpg

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

First, it was already attributed. But second, I was able to confirm attribution by the R above the head. The Large Letters are unique (Wreath Cents) to the R-5 Obverse (6.) The leaves above where the date should be also show. After careful examination, the parallel leaves under E(R) can be seen which is unique to the Reverse (F.) F is shared with Obverses 6 (S-5), 7 (S-6), 8 (S-7) and 10 (NC-5.)

It is from FriscoMint and I actually made an offer below his asking price, but chickened out when I saw 18 people watching.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

After a little research, this appears to have made the rounds lately as it has been for sale at Goldbergs, Saladmeasure Cafe and my source, Friscomint1793. I apparently sold at auction for $175 plus 20% buyer's fee ($35) or $205 plus tax to the buyer. Not exactly the bargain I thought at $350, but I intend to take it off the market for a few years.

Moekeever likes this.
  15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is an ugly purchase, even with the detail, But the obverse looks like 1798 NC-2 while the Reverse doesn't match. In fact it doesn't match any 1798. But the corrosion could be misleading. Any thoughts are appreciated.

1798 NC-2.jpg
    My biggest question is authenticity since they like to artificially age them, sometimes significantly. Being a new reverse by process of elimination and thus a new variety as well as die would be a long shot.

But I will point out the width of LIBERTY and the positions of BER to their peaks and the rotation of the 7 as reasons for my attribution of Obverse 15. The distance of the 100 below the fraction bar and the short fraction bar along with the closeness/overlap of the bottom pair of leaves on the right are why I eliminated all 1798 reverses.

16. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

I can’t help with variety but the corrosion looks very suspicious. It is too uniform on both sides and unusual in appearance. I own hundreds of corroded pieces and none have that look.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

upload_2020-2-5_20-12-20.jpeg

Top is the only known 1798 NC-2 without a die break above RT. Below is the subject.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I now have to consider S-161, which I ruled out as a possibility. My reason for ruling it out may have been caused by the corrosion. Reverse P could also be a possibility for the same reason. Extraordinary claims need extraordinary evidence.

19. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I really like this one

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I should have it within a couple of days. It's from Germany and it was held up 11 days there. Now it's in Houston so it should arrive today or tomorrow.

TypeCoin971793 and Edessa like this.
  21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Seller's Photos:
    upload_2020-2-6_20-28-3.jpeg

My photos:
    1796 S-99.jpg

HoledandCreative likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted