Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just missed out on this one which just sold on eBay. I, and at least three others, were sufficiently convinced this is a S-188 to drive the price to $780. I, of course, set the price...again.

S-188 Obverse.jpg S-188 Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is the S-112 with my own lighting:
    S-112 Obverse.jpg S-112 Reverse.jpg S-112 Fraction.jpg

Cheech9712, gronnh20 and Moekeever like this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Here is my photo of the S-195. I think the seller's photos are superior.

S-195 Obverse.jpg S-195 Reverse.jpg S-195 Fraction.jpg

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just competed the purchase of a couple of coins. I'll let you figure them out for now. How do you think these grade and what do you think they are worth?

1796 S-82 (2).jpg 1802 S-242.jpg

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

First is S-82 Sharpness of maybe G-6 some rim dents, corrosion, net Fr2 to AG3

Second is S-242 F-15 sharpness some marks on the obv net VG-10 maybe a little better.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

These are hard to classify with uneven detail.

I liked the 1802 because of the heaviness of the Die Crack at the tops of NIT indicating a late Die State III (Terminal). It is heavier than any other III Comp I found.

The 1796 has strong detail at the date and S OF while weak elsewhere. Perhaps axial misalignment. I'll check for rotation when it arrives. But it stands in sharp contrast to the even wear of my other S-82:

upload_2019-7-18_13-27-18.jpeg

upload_2019-7-18_13-27-39.jpeg

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is a photo of the S-38 I recently picked up with my photo on top, the comp in the middle and the seller's photo on bottom. It is a cautionary tale for me on how much "movement" of detail can occur strictly from the lighting and photography;

Image distortion.jpg

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is probably a S-65, but I'm posting it because it appears to have an extra berry inside embedded in the leaf opposite M. It's probably PMD but ?

I have highlighted the "berry" on the reverse.

S-65.jpg S-65 Extra berry.jpg

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yes I would say it's PMD. Everything else does match S-65

11. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Damn @Marshall. You must have the uglyest collection around. Don't you save anything without a bullet hole in it. Lol. I get get you. You love any old copper. Must admitt. Your good at what you enjoy. Will never doubt you

Kentucky likes this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

For those with the resources, My collection is ugly. But if you love Early Copper, it is a treasure trove of rarity accumulated at affordable prices. Almost any of my coins go to 4 figures at G6 and above, so I specialize in problem and very low grade coins.

Considering that my target coins are varieties with 100 or less known on a fixed income, I think I'm doing OK.

Eduard and HoledandCreative like this.
  13. Cheech9712

Do you collect moderns

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I have a few that I've accumulated, but not things I pursue.

15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm not sure what the value of a new die state of a common coin is, but it appeals to me. It is certainly a S-214 Obverse, but the reverse does not show cracks which appear early in the S-213 die pairing (III). If this has not been tooled or altered, it would indicate that the earliest pairing of S-214 occured either before the first strikes of S-213 or very early during it's run (I or II) when the reverse did not have the cracks usually used to identify them. It can't be an early S-213 because the point of Liberty's curl is between the curves of the B and and not under the B.

1801 O.jpg 1801 R.jpg

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is a second S-124. Both have problems, but I think this is still an upgrade:

Current piece

upload_2019-8-15_22-7-23.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-15_22-7-41.jpeg

New Cherry Pick

1797 S-124.jpg 1797 S-124 Reverse.jpg

17. Cheech9712

Marshall. Looks like you got a real problem here. You can't own them all!!!! Aways glad to see you post old copper. Even though i have no idea what the letters and numbers mean. Is there a link i can look at to understand your craze. Could those type coins fit in a book. Have never saw a live version

18. Cheech9712

Do you ever get them in change? Or are they just to big. You know. Coin roll hunting

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

These are well beyond Roll Hunting. But I've been through a bunch of rolls in my youth when it was not uncommon to find cents from before WWII and even a few Indians. Buffalo Nickels were still common and almost any of the Jeffersons were in circulation including Silver. Silver was still fairly common and I remember going to the bank and getting a few Silver Dollars that would come into the bank.

These are the days that the young will remember with as much regret as I regret not spending every dime I could muster on searching more circulating coins then.

20. Cheech9712

So the chase continues. Thanks. What about the link

21. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Unattributed S-51 I found at a show. I sold this one before I had even finished writing the check to the dealer.

F3DBB000-2166-4D98-9D36-605AF0476332.jpeg 7580311F-643F-41DD-BAFB-A34B133477C8.jpeg

Marshall and Cheech9712 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted