Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Jack D. Young

Jack D. Young Well-Known Member

Same thought as when these first hit in the fall of 2015 Marshall; the 1st one noticed was purchased in a TPG slab as a possible new variety paired with an interim S-158 reverse. The coin showed no indication of tooling since it was struck from dies made from a genuine one that was either tooled or the dies were. When we quickly started finding more with the same "tooling" and circulation marks we knew we were looking at counterfeits.

HoledandCreative and Marshall like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This one was on eBay and I suspect a counterfeit. The dealer is honorable and is sending it to a TPG for certification before completing the sale to the winning bidder (not me) after I notified him of my suspicion.

What do you think?

Subject Obverse.jpg Subject Reverse.jpg

4. Jack D. Young

Why the suspicion on this one?

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I was immediately suspicious with the lower locks of hair not appearing to be consistent Hair on the S-30/S-31. The lack of an upper pole between the hair and cap appeared to confirm that something wasn't quite right. On the reverse, the extra large knot appeared shaped more like the S-33 than the S-31.

While none of these appeared sufficient on their own to provide sufficient proof of being counterfeit, the combination made me suspicious.

After more thought, I have considered a combination of circumstances which might explain the discrepancies better. The hair and pole differences might be from polish or grease on the obverse die while the reverse might simply be in a different state of wear than the comps I use.

But at this point, I'm not persuaded either direction, but am left with suspicion only.

This is an unfortunate byproduct of knowing counterfeits are out there and of my own inability to identify them.

I'm left only with impressions of something not quite being right based on familiarity with comps.

Jack D. Young likes this.
  6. SorenCoins

SorenCoins Well-Known Member

You guys are incredible; knowledge sponges

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Jack D. Young

The corrosion and damage also tend to distort details as well. Here's an image of my low grade/ clipped planchet example:

8907-s31-raw.jpg

Marshall likes this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I think that explains the reverse and possibly the lowest curls. But the absence of the upper pole with strong hairline and cap can only be explained by grease or polish on the die in my opinion. That is becoming a little more likely than a counterfeit however unless others begin to show up with the same problems at the same locations.

The pole on your "low" grade example shows a clear upper pole.

9. Jack D. Young

Would be better to have it in hand; I have seen lighting and just bad images hide details. I can almost convince myself there is something of the pole in the image...
    Untitled-94.jpg

Marshall likes this.
  10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It's definitely a case where a look in the copper would help. But one by one, the things that made me suspicious seem to have alternative explanations to being counterfeit.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

.jpg 1794 14            12 S-31.jpg

I think the feature behind the hair suggests either authenticity or a die made from an authentic obverse in a later die state. But I'm not sure which.

I've drawn arrows to the feature I'm looking at. You may have to enlarge the images to see them.

12. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Jack D. Young and Omegaraptor like this.
  14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Omegaraptor likes this.
  15. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

In hand or with better pictures it might be attributable. With just a quick flip through the book I can narrow it down to one of ten varieties (and yes S-63 is one of them) With more work could probably narrow it down further.

Marshall likes this.
  16. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Marshall, thought I would post one for you. Hope you are doing well.

F3AE1B7F-8338-4F90-BD36-B5071CBF011A.jpeg 9D40C2AC-13EE-495F-BD5C-80DBA4B858A4.jpeg

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm doing well, but I've run out of money to acquire new coins to post. This is an intriguing example that would seem to be easily attributed, yet I can't settle on an attribution. Because of the wear and damage, I may be excluding some varieties I should not exclude.

It appears from the L and E that this uses type two lettering which excludes all the 1797s except one obverse. But the "7" is too distant for that obverse. I only looked at the 97s because of what appeared to potentially be a point of a seven and the couched E which is most commonly (though not exclusively) found on 97s.

I have therefore excluded 97s.

Now the more probable 98s are a bit problematic. It still has a couched E though the top of the hair is away from and left of the upright of the E. The "8" is away from the bust, and the 1 and 7 are apart, rather than close. The 1 is away from and between dentils. The seven is damaged but appears to be just right of the dentil below.

I'm off to Church so I'll be back later with observations on the Reverse.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

After reviewing this more closely and particularly looking at reverse features (leaf points at middle D and middle M and fraction/denominator positions) along with obverse letter positions relative to the HWH and SHWH, I've settled on the S-152 as the attribution with a fairly high level of confidence.

Moekeever likes this.
  19. Moekeever

Moekeever Well-Known Member

Thanks for your attribution. I agree as well.

Marshall likes this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just completed a new set of photos of the S-39 I obtained last September and have included edge shots this time.

upload_2019-2-25_18-45-22.jpeg

Moekeever likes this.
  21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Here is my S-73 I got about a month earlier. I didn't realize I hadn't posted it yet.

upload_2019-2-26_17-50-23.jpeg

Moekeever likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted