Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

The attribution point I used was the POL to U in UNITED. S-86 is unique among the 96 Caps in that regard.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

1796 8                B S-82, S-83, S-84-horz.jpg

4. Omegaraptor

Interesting how there are characteristics of both 84 and 86...

New NC? :p

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I think simple spreading of copper from excess wear is the better explanation. It makes the leaf appear closer the the U, but from wear rather than the die.

Omegaraptor likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

My S-39 arrived and these are my first photos:
    S-39 Obverse-tile.jpg S-39 ONE 2-tile.jpg

If you look carefully between FOR A, you can see an earlier edge AR ~. Perhaps some other letters can be seen, but I just decided to post my initial observations.

I think there is more here than I thought from the seller's photos.

TypeCoin971793 likes this.
  7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

You can also see the remnants of the earlier ONE between A and DOLLAR.

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I picked this up last night because I can't attribute it. There are several points that should make it attributable, but I haven't found a match yet. The falling berry {left of O(N)}, the elongated upper serif of the middle of E {(C)E}and hair positions relative to LIBERTY. I can find any of these, but not all.

The closest I can come up with is an early die state of S-213, but I have to make a lot of allowances for PMD imitating positions and digits. Also, I can't find another S-213 with dentils showing above IB regardless of grade.

Obverse.jpg Reverse.jpg

9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is another S-191 and my second entombed with a straight grade (G4) to go with my NGC F-12). But this one may be an earlier Die State than seen by Noyes. I see no evidence of the Die Break through ICA evident in his earliest Reverse State B. He indicates the State A was only seen on NC-1.( S-191 Obverse PCGS G4.jpg S-191 Reverse PCGS G4.jpg S-191 Obverse.jpg S-191 Reverse.jpg

10. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm stubborn at times. I now believe this is an 1800 S-209. This is from the position of the point of 1, the right side of 1 left of the junction of the hair and shoulder, The point of curl under the left side of the curve of B and the similar clash marks under the hair ribbons and highest curl. The reverse also matches up with complete loops.

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Another new pick-up: This one was properly attributed by the seller.

S-122 Obverse.jpg S-122 Reverse.jpg

12. Omegaraptor

I know the attribution, as I was watching that one! I will not be giving it away, however - let’s give the others a chance.

Congrats on winning it - you got a great price. Very tough R-5+ (hint, hint), and these don’t come particularly nice (finest known is an XF IIRC). I stopped bidding around $25.

Marshall likes this.
  13. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

S-122 ?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Omegaraptor likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Yes. Perhaps the Bottom Pop candidate, but the right price at $66.95.

Eduard and Omegaraptor like this.
  15. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Definitely a good price for an S-122.
    I was able to find an S-124 some time ago for just a little over that.

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I got a damaged S-124 a year ago this month for $58.88, probably plus postage.

17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just realized I never posted that find.

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I've been dabbling in Ancients, so I haven't posted much here. But I did add two this morning. Both are interesting for what they MIGHT be rather than for what is easily discernible.

First is this 1800 with type 1 hair and which I won't even bother to show the obverse. But the area around the numerator and first digit of the denominator have caught my attention. Even extremely worn, it might be a second coin showing that discoloration in the Comp Coin may be a trace of a second die state.
    SUBJECT
    purchase.jpg

1800 X              X 1800 NC-6.jpg

SUBJECT
    purchase Close.jpg

NC-6 COMP 1800 X              X 1800 NC-6 Close.jpg
    It's tantalizing, but I can't really be certain.

19. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Marshall, I would love to see your S-124 if you have pictures of it.

This is the one that I found - It was unattributed so I think I got lucky.

1797 Cent S-124 OBV1 N - 1.jpg 1797 Cent S-124 REV1 N - 1.jpg

Moekeever and Marshall like this.
  20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The second is an 1803 S-265 which may have a die crack not shown on the current Terminal Die State.

This is one which I had just ordered followed by the newer one. The first shows the break through S which I believed to be State VIII or IX from it's development but without the marker visible to confirm that.
    S-265 IX.jpg The new crack appears to start above the E, cross the bottom of the E at the previous crack, through the leaves above (N)E, the middle of E, the left stem of (N)T to the base of T. this new crack is sharper than the previous crack which has faded and disappeared over N on this example.
    S-265 X.jpg

I'm anxious to see what you guys think.

And please don't spare my feelings since I need to avoid wishtribution.

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It's hard to look at, but here it is:
    upload_2018-10-20_11-16-49.jpeg upload_2018-10-20_11-17-3.jpeg

Eduard likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted