Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I'm sure this is the Reverse O from the position of the leaf at M(E) and the sunken die at STATES OF A and possibly a terminal die state. 1797 Rev O Late Die State.jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This one doesn't fit my collection since it only has minor problems.

S-116 Obv.JPG S-116 Rev.jpg

ZoidMeister, Kirkuleez and Moekeever like this.
  4. BostonCoins

BostonCoins Well-Known Member

That 1796.... I'm guessing it's a S-116 R5?? I based this on the leave position next to to the T in Cent, along with the E and N nearly touching in CENT.

Marshall likes this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Yep. I'm concentrating on coin varieties of less than 100 population or high grade problem coins at great prices. I also go for terminal die states.

Moekeever likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I hadn't noticed on the image, but this was double struck with the first image showing at the date (creating the effect of an overdate) and on the reverse inside leaf pair at O(N) just above the graffiti. It stands out in the copper more than in the photo. Also, some of the "Corrosion" at the edges turned out to be glue or lacquor.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just got either a bargain or got taken to the cleaners on this one.

S-95 Obv.JPG
    S-95 Rev.jpg
    I believe this is right at the border of Basal-1 and Fair-2.

I'll ask how many think it's worth $155.50?

ZoidMeister and Moekeever like this.
  8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Big day for my 96 collection. I picked this up this afternoon. It was labeled as a 1797 rather than the 1796 it is. It's not rare, but a nice example of a concavo-convex planchet with the obverse receiving a lot of protection from being on the concavo side.

S-92 Obv.JPG S-92 Rev.jpg

ZoidMeister and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just noticed it was a double strike as well. It's most noticeable above CENT on the reverse.

ZoidMeister and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I like a challenge and decided to attribute this dateless offer on eBay. I was able to attribute it.

Obv.jpg
    Rev.jpg

Now my only question is whether to reveal what I found or let others have the opportunity.

ZoidMeister, Moekeever and Endeavor like this.
  12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Is it me or the coin? This is the reverse of an S-210 or a previously unknown perfect die state of S-197 before Die State I with it's markers. The reverse fraction just doesn't seem quite right to me with the (1)0(0) appearing too far to the right to me. Of course the S-197 isn't right either, but I think the S-210 is the correct obverse though close. the 1800s are a tough group.

1800 R-V      R-V S-208, S-209, S-210-horz-vert.jpg

ZoidMeister and Moekeever like this.
  13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Times up. This is the 1806 S-270. This reverse is distinctive from all others in the series.

Moekeever likes this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just took a shot on another lottery ticket. I'm anxious for it's arrival to either confirm or more likely refute it's appearance. See if you can identify each side of this coin and tell me why it's a lottery ticket.

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  15. TypeCoin971793

I recognize that reverse anywhere. It's either S-76a, S-76b, or NC-2. I see you are hoping for the latter. Looking at the spacing of the date, I think it is S-76. What kind of edge does it have? Or is that the kottery ticket?

16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

That's NOT a 1795 obverse. Look at the position of the 7 entirely left of the junction of the hair and shoulder. It is obverse 3 of 1796. That would be my lottery ticket. But It's probably either wrong photos or a lamination of a ground down 96-3 obverse to the 95-C reverse. But if it's a single coin, I hit the lottery with a new variety.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

New Coin.jpg
    This is plausible since the 95-C was paired with two reverses and one has two sub-varieties and the die state indicates the second variety was struck after some and before other die states of the first. Obverse 96-3 was paired with four reverses so a brief pairing with an old reverse could easily have occurred.

While worn, it does appear to be weak in all the areas described in die state IX.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  18. TypeCoin971793

Are you sure it is obverse 3? I concur that the date position does not match any of the 1795's married to the C reverse.

19. TypeCoin971793

20. TypeCoin971793

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Well, it doesn't look like a DDO. It looks more like it's DOA. :)

coinsareus10 and Marshall like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted