Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Now another High detail problem coin I picked up.
    S-226 Obv.jpg
    S-226 Rev.jpg
    The seller says it is a metal detector find. It looks like it might have been coated or silvered. I'm hoping it is something which has protected the coin and some or all of the corrosion is actually a layer that can be removed like old varnish.

I'm not too familiar with dug coins or whether that can be properly cleaned or not. If it's truly corrosion, I know nothing will help the damage already done. The best that can be done is to stop it. But if it's a protective layer, who knows?

Any opinions?

Attached Files:

ZoidMeister likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I think that it was a metal detecting find that has too much direct blue light. It will look brown-ish when it arrives.

But I like it! Reminds me of mine.

IMG_4953.JPG IMG_4955.JPG

ZoidMeister and Marshall like this.
  4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

That's a really nice S-237. I hope mine comes out close. Did you treat it to get it where it is now or did you receive it this way?

I generally soak it to remove hardened dust, let it dry and then coat with my last few drops of Blue Ribbon.

ps I've now determined the Die State is V with clash marks from dentils through 100 and ICA as well as the die crack at the nose of State IV.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

The seller had it at VF details and sold it for $50. Someone took a clean EF/AU coin and dumped acid on the obverse, and then proceded to scratch it up. That is how I received it.

Marshall likes this.
  6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I guess I'm starting a second type of set. High detail problem Coins to go with my rare low grade problem coins.

I hate the damage, but it makes them affordable.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Back to the basic collection.

Just picked this up:

Obv.jpg Rev.jpg
    Hint! The obverse is confusing and misleading, but the reverse is rock solid to identify it. It's the second of this variety I've picked up. They seem to come in pairs for me.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

S-147

Marshall likes this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Is this a CUD or a shadow/reflection of the holder? I estimate about a $300 question. (unique die state premium)

I originally thought it was a CUD, but cannot find any prior mention of such a CUD for this die. This is an S-84. This is an unusual reverse used on two different types as well as years and skips a year. It is Sheldon Rev B of 1796 used on S-82, S-83 and S-84 Liberty Caps and again used as Sheldon Reverse K of 1798 on the S-156 Draped Bust.

If this were a CUD, it would indicate the last of the S-84s was struck after the S-156s which is possible. but unlikely since they are on different planchet sizes as well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you mean above and left of the O in OF that looks to me like a rim bruise.

And the 96 caps and 1798 cents should be on the same size planchets

Marshall likes this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Oops! Brain lapse on the planchets.

But I was looking above the F AM at what appeared to be an elongated rim break CUD. I agree with rim bruise above O.

But it really doesn't make sense. It's the down side of not being able to see the coin in the copper.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Note. Upon arrival, the "missing" stem in the photo IS visible in the copper. So the last piece of the puzzle falls nicely into place.

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It didn't take me long to get over finding that S-208 that I thought was a S-202.

While ugly to some, this is a nice addition because I love terminal die states.

Obv (2).jpg Rev (2).jpg

ZoidMeister likes this.
  14. 180IQ

180IQ Active Member

I'll be the first to attribute environmental damage.

Marshall likes this.
  15. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Not to mention intentional human damage...

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I think that is a shadow from the prong. Note the glare spot on the slab that shows you where the light is coming from. That would cause the edge of the prong to throw a shadow right about there.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  17. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I think you are right. The size and location are just too convenient to match the prong that closely.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

You nailed it. It arrived bronze in color with exceptional detail. Unfortunately, the problem ares were corrosion and not a protective layer. At least this high grade problem coin wasn't CLEANED like my other one.

19. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Is this good enough to identify or is the coin or photo insufficient? It is unlikely to be what I came up with. I appreciate your attributions to see what others see.

16 or 17.jpg

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not much to work with and no picture of the reverse, first approximation I coin up with after a quick flip through the book is 127

21. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

This is another one where I see something different every time I look at a different area of the coin. The S-127 looks right for L I B spacing, The S-138 looks right at the date, and the S-139 looks right at the second hair peak (sharper peak) and distance and position from JHF to T(Y). I'm solid on the reverse, but the obverse just doesn't seem to match up for me.

I'm attempting to avoid wish attribution. But the obverse of the coin may be too far gone to claim a new mule or new obverse die.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted