Attribute This

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Marshall, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

181617927700.jpg 181617114947.jpg
    Having received this and taking sharper photos, the obverse is easily attributed as S-131 rather than the S-132 or S-133 with the Die break left of the Hair Ribbons in it's late state clearly there. I could not see it on the sellers photos.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

;)

4. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I just picked this up and am hoping the pictures are worse than the coin. I'll have to wait and see when it arrives.

95 Obverse.jpg 95 Reverse.jpg
    The details seem too sharp to have such little contrast. I'm hoping it's better in the copper and I can take a better image. It is unattributed on both the holder and the listing, but it is by far the best of the four I have of this variety. All four have been purchased since April 21st, 2017.

5. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Yeah! I know it's what you said from the original photo.

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Something just isn't sitting well concerning the identification of Sheldon's Obverse 4 and 8 ( Breen's Obverse 4) as the same.

I feel it's worth additional research.

7. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I have not been successful obtaining an image that shows the coin as it appears in the copper. This is the best of my poor attempts:

1811617246612.jpg 1811617255452.jpg
    I had to enhance the contrast to try to bring up the detail of the obverse. It looks far better and sharper in the copper. The color is slightly darker than the reverse image.

Anyway, I'm quite sure it is a S-95 R5+ in much better condition than my others.

ps is is also rotated slightly ~about 10-15 degrees~

8. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Why am I not collecting EAC? :D

It seems like a lot of 96 busts have very small fractions, but not all of them do.

Edit: The Reverses of 94 and 95 do.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Marshall likes this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I beat the snipers on this one. I sniped my own high bid of $32 and obtained it for $128.19:

1803 5.jpg 1803 S.jpg

I'm guessing F Details - Damaged but wouldn't argue with VG Details

It is 100% attributable anyway.

Tell me what you think including whether you would have it slabbed.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Omegaraptor and TypeCoin971793 like this.
  10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not bad, at first glance I thought it was an 1801 but dropped that idea pretty quick. Took me a little bit to identify it. Would I have it slabbed? I don't know, you might have problems convincing them what it is. And frankly it is going to be maily of interest to EAC type people and they aren't really going to care if it is slabbed.

1803 NC-1

Marshall likes this.
  11. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Sorry @Marshall the reference I like to use is on the other side of the Atlantic. :/

I trust that Condor’s attribution is correct.

12. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I' certain of the attribution and pretty certain it isn't counterfeit. There is a die scratch above the inner leaf at C(E) which would not likely be made part of modern dies.

I hope you're doing well in your studies in Europe.

13. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Double Post

Attached Files:

14. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Comparable Left - Subject Right

1803 NC-1 - Subject

1803_large_cent_sNC1_obv-tile.jpg

15. Omegaraptor

Awesome coin! It does seem to be the NC - congrats!

By the way, are very low grade 1796 Busts worth anything? I know the 1796 Bust is a tough coin, but if I use attribution skills (well, the reverse of 94 sticks out like a sore thumb) to buy a dateless one for a low price, is it worth anything?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Marshall likes this.
  16. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

If you can attribute it, it still retains some value over those you can't. I love the 96 Draped Bust group, though it carries a bit of a premium, even without attribution.

If you do look at Reverse of 94s, just remember that they are also used before and after 1796 as well. In 1796, there are actually only 3 reverses of 94 used. Sheldon's reverses S, U and V which are paired with numerous obverses on multiple varieties. Reverse of 95s include H, J, L, M, N, P, Q and X. This leaves only Reverses I, K, O, R, T, W, Y, Z, AA and BB as Reverse of 97s.

All have rarities within the broader category,

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    Omegaraptor likes this.
  17. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

Congratulations, Marshall! A desirable coin for sure.
    An NC! I don't have any yet in my collection.
    Much scarcer than S-264 that I was writing about in my other thread.

I noticed CQR and H.A call this variety R-5+. I would have expected R-6?

18. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

It has fallen from three known in 1948 to about 40 known with the discovery of lower grade specimens. It is likely to move to R5 at some point, but it will always have the NC Premium much like the S-264 has a premium.

While dateless from damage, this has pretty good detail for an affordable rarity.

My 1797 NC-5 is still R6 though. I also picked up another S-95 which is theoretically still an R5+, but it is my third.

Thanks for the congratulations.

Eduard likes this.
  19. Omegaraptor

Thanks. I don’t collect EACs much at the moment, I only have one unattributed 1798, but it looks really fun to hunt for rare varieties and buy them at low prices.

20. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Yes. It is fun!

21. Omegaraptor

CE06A226-9FD3-440B-BCAD-6685B8AA820D.jpeg C0AD32E3-6F01-498E-A6F8-9AA370118135.jpeg

This one already has its own thread, but I feel like it fits here as well. Bought this for $28 yesterday for a reason. Guess the Sheldon.

Draft saved Draft deleted