Attractive Mottled Toning

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Dec 15, 2012.

?

Is the 1954 Roosevelt Dime shown attractive?

1. YES, it is attractive

48.2%
  2. NO, it is not attractive

21.4%
  3. GOD NO, it is butt ugly

14.3%
  4. None of the above, the toning is neutral

16.1%
  1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Typically, I find mottled toning to be rather distracting and not very eye appealing. However, I just found a Roosevelt Dime on E-Bay offered up by Shane that has some exquisite mottled rainbow toning that I think is very attractive indeed. I have posted a link to the auction and the photos below.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

1954 Roosevelt Dime NGC MS66 Rainbow Mint Set Toned ~Colorful Toning~

So my question is, do you find this coin attractive? Please vote in the attached poll.

If you feel you have another example of an attractive mottled toned coin, please post a photo in your reply, thanks! I sold this Washington Quarter earlier this year and it had a mottled crescent of rainbow toning. It really was pretty impressive.

WQ 1958 NGC MS66* Obv.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Here is one in my collection that I would consider mottled. I do like it sometimes...it depends on the coin. I want to still be able to clearly see the coin. IMHO, the Washington Quarter is absolutely stunning...for me, this dime is a little over the top. I like it because it's cool looking, but it's a little too mottled for me. So, I find myself on the fence with this one. I voted yes...but it's not a strong yes.

Here is a example from my collection I really like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

Richie,

I like your Roosevelt. From the same seller I see. I think we should start threads with polls, like "have you ever purchased a coin from Kryptonitecomics?" I think it would be cool to see how many CT members buy from other CT members, even if they don't always know. Shane rarely posts here anymore. Don't wanna hijack my own thread though, maybe another time.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I haven't seen him around for some time...but it came from him.

6. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

From the looks of it, it would be spectacular if the colors were filled in, but there is so little of it left ..... I guess I would call it a plus, but I would certainly prefer less colorful coins with the color more in tact.

7. chip

chip Novice collector

I am no attracted to it but it is not repulsive either

8. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

For the coin in the original post, I say yes, it is a nice piece but I think the main attraction on it for me is all that blue.

9. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

I wonder if Danscos are responsable for these pieces. My Roosevelt set has many that look like this. for me, I don't find the toning to be appealing, but it looks decent in a set.
    1946 s r-1424266711.jpg 1123122052-1697608871.jpg

10. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It looks like Jackson Pollock got a hold of it.

11. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

i like mottled toning if the colors pop. i have a bunch of silver dimes that have a very attractive mottled toning to them. some can be ugly but some just look good. i like the one you have posted. i believe i have purchased coins from Kryptonitecomics

12. Danr

Danr Numismatist

I'd give it a 7 out of 10 maybe 7.5

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I like the coin and voted that it is attractive.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Same here. The blue is really cool and makes the toning stand out.

15. NorthKorea

NorthKorea Dealer Member is a made up title...

I had a Morgan that looked like that, and I was told it was post mint damage.

Anyway, the dimes tend to look like that coming out of the US Mint sets with that green paper.

16. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

here is one that is in my toned rosie dansco album. it was originally slabbed ngc ms65 till i set it free :thumb:

[​IMG]

Etcherman likes this.
  17. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I voted "None of the above". If I were collecting Roosies, it wouldn't bother me to have this in my collection.

Since you brought it up, Paul, I have purchased several Morgan toners from Shane.

Chris

18. petro89

petro89 Member

I like her a lot

19. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

20. Cazkaboom

Cazkaboom One for all, all for me.

Digging up an old thread here, but I just recently purchased this proof dime with mottled toning and thought it belongs in this thread.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. xGAJx

xGAJx Happy

I thought the same way, so I liked your post, but why do we call this roosie a girl? Roosevelt was a man.

Draft saved Draft deleted