Attica, Athens Tetradrachm: Choosing your devices

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by iamtiberius, Jul 31, 2015.

1. I find it astounding when supply has no bearing on demand. The Classical Tetradrachm from Athens is essentially the poster girl for Ancient Numismatics. Although millions are in existence and easily available, the cost is abnormally inflated. The only other coin I believe has the same irrational inflation may be the Tiberius Denarius (Tribute Penny.)

Around the age of 10, in my US collecting years, my grandfather gave me a numismatic magazine; on the cover, the Athens Tetradrachm. I read a short article detailing the importance. My only thought: "it's thousands of years old, it has to be thousands of dollars." I continued collecting US. 6 years later, an individual from my church found out I collected coins and gave me his widow's mite; the ancient fever was on.

Fast forward to 2 months ago, and I'm fervently looking for an example with eye catching style, an inclusion of the devices I want on flan, and of course, a decent price. Referring back to the Benveniste's post about a $1000 buck owl, what better place to look than CNG?

I knew, like with 99% of Athens tets, that I wasn't going to get all of the Obv design on flan. Although, there are several examples I've seen with full details on the Rev; all nearly falling within a nearly perfect incuse. The search was on. Turns out, most people bidding care about the nose or a centered face; so proves the auction results. I found my coin within 3 auctions. At first I thought I was taking a loss with the nose falling off flan, but after looking through several results, I can't find many others that provide as much “crest” as the one I acquired. Since then, I've been more than happy with the Obv and am extremely happy with the all devices appearing, well centered, on the Rev. The Obv deposits and Rev toning provide decent eye appeal.

Athens_Tet_vs_2 reflection 80 percent.png
    ATTICA, Athens. Circa 454-404 BC. AR Tetradrachm (26mm, 16.87 g, 12h). Helmeted head of Athena right, with frontal eye / Owl standing right, head facing; olive sprig and crescent behind; AθE in right field; all within incuse square. Kroll 8; HGC 4, 1597.

*I thought I'd go with an AJ'esque reflection. Gives the photo depth and a 3D feel.

Anyone else have an example of searching for a specific coin, with certain devices?

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Very nice Owl and I love the toning.

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

+1 !

5. Alegandron

I have 4 owls that I got years ago for a "song". They are off-center and have a lot of bankers marks. Would you mind if I could post, ask for help attributing them, and perhaps advice about some encrustation on one of them?

iamtiberius likes this.
  6. Nobody minds; post away. I've only cleaned 1 coin that happened to be an Athens tet with another forum member's advice. Worked great.

7. Alegandron

Thank you: 4 below...

Attica Owl 16-8g  22x6-5mm Obv.JPG Attica Owl 16-8g  22x6-5mm Rev.JPG
    17.2g
    22.6mm X 6.5mm thick

Attica Owl 17-2g  22x6-7mm Obv.JPG Attica Owl 17-2g  22x6-7mm Rev.JPG
    17.2g (sorry for the split pics)
    22.0mm X 6.5mm thick

Attica Owl 17-3g  22-9x6-8mm Obv r-crud.JPG Attica Owl 17-3g  22-9x6-8mm Rev r-crud.JPG
    17.3g
    22.9mm X 6.8mm thick

Attica Owl 17-4g  20-4x7-5mm Obv edge-crud.JPG Attica Owl 17-4g  20-4x7-5mm Rev edge-crud.JPG
    17.4g
    20.4mm X 7.5mm thick

maridvnvm, chrsmat71, stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Pics seem fairly accurate to color, toning, and encrustations-(on the last 2).

9. Bing

I like them all well enough to want any one of them in my collection. However, the first two are my favorites. The banker's marks can be very interesting in and of themselves.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. Bing

Well, what the heck. Here is my only one and I think she looks like Judith in the "All In The Family" sitcom:
    ATTICA ATHENS.jpg

11. Bing

I must have forgotten to re-image the above coin, but that is now corrected. I do not think there is much difference other than the contrast using the black background.
    ATTICA ATHENS a.jpg

12. Alegandron

LOL, looks like yours got an earful!

I agree with you: I really enjoy the banker's marks. However, I was told that it was actually rare that banker's marks are on the face of Athena. No one wanted to offend the Goddess by defiling her with a mark. Is this true?

Also...the mineralization on the last two: is this a problem? Should I soak in distilled water or just leave it be?

This is where I need some help: What years within Athens history are they? I tried to attribute them but got lost in some of the detail...

I just love these chunky coins...fat and heavy! Not a pond skipper, rather a sling rocket!

13. Alegandron

LOL, oh yeah! You told me you did not like Royal Blue... :)

14. Bing

No, I like a blue background. Prior to this round of imaging, all my images were on a blue background. I like the black better mainly for contrast.

I'm not the one to give any advice or information on this issue; however, there are those here on CT that seem to be experts in these. I own one, so I'm no expert. Like JT said, owning one of these is a must for Ancients coin collectors, and I had to have one too.

Alegandron likes this.
  15. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Who doesn't like Athens? Here is one of mine.

Attica, Athens
    AR Tetradrachm (BC 454-431)
    24.5 mm x 17.07 grams
    Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena with Archaic style eye.
    Reverse: Owl Standing Facing Olive branch, moon in left field. Greek Legend A TH E in right field.
    Ref: Classic Owl Type A
    Note: Horn Silver, 2 x Ancient Test Cut
    AthensTetradrachm BC440-40417.jpg

chrsmat71, stevex6 and Alegandron like this.
  16. Alegandron

Boy, even though yours looks like "Stifle Yourself, Edith!", it is a great looking Tet! Clean, and has been in real commerce... Like that!

Jwt708 and Bing like this.
  17. Bing

LOL - "Stifle Yourself Edith". I used to love that show. Wouldn't air today. Too many people would be offended. What a shame.

Alegandron, Jwt708 and stevex6 like this.
  18. Alegandron

Yes, more than agreed. We have forgotten how to laugh! :) Loved the show...groundbreaking. And considering today, would be groundbreaking again!

stevex6 likes this.
  19. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Nice => great eye appeal on that OP example, iamtiberius (congrats)

... I only have this one example

Athenian Attic Owl AR Tetradrachm
    After Circa 413 B.C.
    Mint: in imitation of the contemporary coinage of Athens (Egypt or Syria)

coin3ax.jpg coin3bx.jpg coin3cx.jpg

Jwt708 and chrsmat71 like this.
  20. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Hey, iamtiberius ... here are a couple more of my creepier owls for ya

Cheers

Pontos
    Pontos Amisos AR Siglos a.jpg Pontos Amisos AR Siglos b.jpg

Troas
    Troas Sigeion.jpg

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

21. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

that's a sweet one IAT...that owl is dang near perfect and the obverse is attractive even minus the nose.

i'd love to get one of these, but considering the price...it's actually not high on my list. can't realistically put it there.

Draft saved Draft deleted