Athens New Style Coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by NewStyleKing, Oct 28, 2019.

1. NewStyleKing

NewStyleKing Beware of Greeks bearing wreaths

This coin type is either you love them or hate them and yet they are now crucial to dating important hoards since the low chronology of Lewis/Mattingly is now accepted.
    They are my interest and I have written my own small papers on academia.edu on the subject under my real name John Arnold Nisbet.
    These coins not only can be reasonably dated the where's and hows and whys can be reasonably speculated for this series

I hope you enjoy my efforts on academia.edu.

The picture below in my new 3 D coin display shows the earliest New Styles. The top 5 shows the earliest 4 years assuming issues are yearly-which no one can prove but seems likely.

Enjoy-I do

Attached Files:

Orielensis, galba68, Paul M. and 14 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Very instructive research @NewStyleKing . The pictures are also pretty cool. If I were you, I’d put the link of your paper here. I don’t think it’s against CT’s rules. One day I’ll maybe collect Roman Republicans too...

4. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

I like 'm too, but only got one:

P1230030best.jpg

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ditto
    Athens Attica B.jpg

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

What is the current status of the datings in the Svoronos book? Is it close with a few revisions here and there or a complely outdated joke to those who know the series?

Paul M. and ominus1 like this.
  7. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

I found a direct link at https://www.academia.edu/16354608/The_Athenian_New_Style_Rome_Pontic_Coins

Consider doing a follow-on including the months.

For example, this tetradrachm has month M. I looked it up elsewhere and got the year 98/97 BC. Your paper gives 95/4 BC.
    image00052.jpg
    ATTICA, Athens, Tetradrachm (16.5g), June 13 - July 13, 97 BC? Or 95/4 BC? 27mm
    Obv: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet
    Rev: AΘ-E / NI-KH-THΣ, ΔIO-NY-ΣIOΣ, EMΒI (=Athens, Niketes, Dionysios, and Embi-) Owl standing right, head facing, on amphora; magistrates’ names in fields; gorgoneion to right; M (= month 12) on amphora, MH below; all within wreath.
    Ref: Thompson 961 (Seems to match the obverse die for Thompson 961, reverse die of 958a)

With the years from elsewhere, and Wikipedia on the Athenian calendar, and this chart on the phases of the moon, I got the range June 13 - July 13, 97 BC. If I take your dating of 95/4 I will have to go through this exercise again. It would be nice if you supplied a table that combined the magistrate/symbol, amphora letter, month name, and lunar calendar that year.

I have an extremely worn bronze coin of Athens with the same symbol as the tetradrachm.
    athens-both.jpg
    Athens Bronze 7.9g AE21, 98/7 BC
    O: Gorgoneion, snakes rising from hair, snake bow below chin, sometimes with slight frown.
    R: ΑΘΕ; Athena, wearing crested helmet, advancing right holding spear in right hand, aegis draped over left arm.
    Lindgren and Kovacs 1543

The rationale for the date 98/7 is the belief that the bronze was issued the same year as the tetradrachms. Another nice follow-up would be to show a picture of each year's bronze alongside the tetradrachms. (I have never seen them lined up before. Catalogs usually illustrate first the silver, then the bronze.)

8. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I've got only this one. (I'm crazy happy to have it). :)
    New Tet Collage Best B.jpg

9. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

10. Ed Snible

Ed Snible Well-Known Member

Thanks! I like the style of the little face. There should be a third snake, not visible on this example, as it is off the flan.

Margaret Thompson wrote, in 1941, “Aristion, returning back from a successful visit to Mithradates with ample promises and Pontic troops to back them, was acclaimed by the Athenians and elected strategos with full powers. The money which he struck in unison with Philon was stamped with the drinking Pegasos, an unmistakably Mithradatic symbol…. The Gorgoneion may be interpreted as a Pontic symbol or it may have been simply a revival of an old familiar Athenian device.”

She continues “The Gorgoneion may be connected with pro-Mithradatic sentiments on the part of Niketes and Dionysios who, taking office during the last archonship of Medeios, could only express their partisanship by the choice of a symbol which was Mithridatic but which was also capable of an Athenian interpretation.”

NewStyleKing likes this.
  11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..i like'em, but have....... nun.jpg

NewStyleKing, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  12. NewStyleKing

All my replies as a guest, from work-I don't know my log in details!- have vanished!

13. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

@NewStyleKing Great papers and of course a very impressive set of tetradrachms you have!
    Here is my one and only.. a recent pickup and one of my favorite coins =)

Attica, Athens, New Style; Magistrates Mened- and Epigeno-, Asklepios, c. 135/4 BC, Tetradrachm, 16.90g. Thompson-353, rev. like a which equals 352b, but neither of these coins is illustrated.
    Obv: Helmeted head of Athena r.
    Rx: Owl standing r. on amphora, head front; ethnic and magistrates' names l. and r., in l. field Asklepios standing l., leaning on serpent staff; third magistrate EΠIΓO in r. field (final O impinges on wreath), Z on amphora (written like sideways H), ME below; all within olive wreath

14. NewStyleKing

That is a very very nice example. Was that from the Steven H Corn collection? I got my Griffin from that collection. Athens New Style and "The coins of the great transformation" ( see Andrew Meadows, available on academia.edu) are fab.

15. NewStyleKing

Kroll ( 1993) puts this AE down to the time of Mark Anthony and one example is over-struck on a Owl on Amphora type too!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Ed Snible likes this.
  16. NewStyleKing

A lovely lovely Elephant. Antioxos was once thought to be a Seleucid prince-a couple of choices were available- but now Mattingly followed Habicht and came to the conclusion that it was an another magistrate with the common name Antiochos making a connection with the famous Seleucid Elephants for his symbol.

17. NewStyleKing

A great Eagle on Thunderbolt of c 126/5 BC. One of the "over represented coins" found in Macedonian hoards along with Prow, Tripod and Dioscuri-sometimes Nike is added! See deCallatay and Meadows.

18. NewStyleKing

A really nice Dolphin & Trident the second coin by these 2 magistrates followed by Roma as the third. Roma makes these magistrates Roman partisans but the meaning of their symbols, if, any in political means is unknown except for the Explicit Roma...

19. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Athens Ar Tetradrachm Thompson 69a 153-152 B.C. 16.50 grms 29 mm athens41.png

20. NewStyleKing

A dramatic looking old catalogue New Style "Cicada". It is a pity that the amphora is bare because this issue bears the first month dates (first control) for this series. Lovely lovely coin!

21. NewStyleKing

Svoronos is old hat, so is Barclay Head and sadly so is Margaret Thompson and Morkholm. The work of Lewis 1962 destroyed Thompson who got it right in 1941 following Bellinger but changed her mind for the NSSCA. Now the late Mattingly,deCallatay and most of all Andrew Meadows and Lorber prefer a sensible c 164/3 to the middle to late 40's BC when the denarius took over with Marcus Antonius in Athens.

Draft saved Draft deleted