Athenian Owls (Ancients)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Seattlite86, Nov 29, 2015.

1. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Nice link but wow the navigation is awkward.

Seattlite86 and Mikey Zee like this.
  4. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

It's got great pics, but yeah, navigation is a little awkward...

Seattlite86 likes this.
  5. Seattlite86

I agree, the navigation was a little awkward. It works well if you just hit the right arrow on your keyboard, otherwise, you have to find and select the dots.

6. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

OK if you can't easily view the linked photos I can pacify everyone with this parliament of owls:

Athens Owls Collage.jpg
    Nothing archaic to see here (sorry).

7. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

man, I always love seeing that sweet photo, C89

8. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Great set of "feathered friends" thanx for the peek at some great coins!

9. Seattlite86

Wow, amazing photo!

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I saw nothing awkward about the site but it was a bit different. You could change the image using the scroll wheel on the mouse but I know many of you don't mouse anymore. The scroll in from the sides is a gimmick but far from the worst one I have seen.

Writing web pages allows you to be ahead of your times or behind. Being cutting edge current requires you to know who will be viewing the page using what equipment or writing more software to sense such things than it took to write the page. I hate the Smart Phone my daughter gave me...but we all knew I am behind the times anyway.

Jwt708 and Seattlite86 like this.
  11. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

The transition to the next image by having the screen split vertically and the two halves go outwards and come back in with the new page is too cute for me. I find the site design irritating.

On the other hand, the coins are great.

12. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

It is just another example of fancy style over content. Valentinian and I both have websites coded in dinosaur era HTML. Some dinosaurs are older than others. The question is whether the information presented would be more clear had we spent more time on code and less time of coins. I used more tricks than he did but the reason I have a web site is I wanted to learn some HTML back in 1997. I never felt the urge to keep up with the modern web design techniques.

Microsoft offers a free Windows program called Windows Movie Maker. I did a slide show with it for a presentation my wife gave. The number and complexity of fades and other things that happen to photos as one changes to another was staggering. Some got in the way of seeing the photos; others just added nothing. We used none but going through them to see what was available was a trip.

13. brassnautilus

brassnautilus Well-Known Member

weak crescent and E, but at least it wasn't cut lol

[​IMG]

Pishpash, Sallent, Bing and 2 others like this.
  14. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:eek:

woooo you dissin'?

ancientowl2a.jpg

:rolleyes:

Seattlite86, Jwt708, Pishpash and 3 others like this.
  15. brassnautilus

bought something nice this morning
    last second bidding was vicious and I was forced to overpay by like 100 bucks
    [​IMG]

There was a fourree just a few days ago, unfortunately I wasn't strong enough that day and it got away :banhappy: Wished I could have the 2 of them side by side, oh well...
    [​IMG]

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Is that a tetradrachm? The style and wear patterns make it look like something smaller... or is that a trick of the photo?

17. brassnautilus

Both drachm. the fourree is only 2.98g, 14mm. One I bought is the same size but 4g.
    The fourree looked like a tet right :woot: Too bad I underestimated people's desire for a fake...

Draft saved Draft deleted