Athenian Drachma crica. mid 4th cent?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mrktstrtmyhm, Jun 26, 2021.

1. Mrktstrtmyhm

Mrktstrtmyhm Active Member

Hey Ancient Coin buffs!

I'm plugging along "The Peloponnesian War" by Thucydides and have just reached the first mention of money in the book. For context:

Summer 428 BC

"At this time when their ships were at sea the Athenians had the largest number of ships on active service and in fine condition, though there were similar or even greater numbers at the beginning of the war. Then there were a hundred guarding Attica, Euboea, and Salamis, and a further hundred cruising round the Peloponnese, apart from the ships at Potidea and in other places, so the total number of ships in service in the course of one summer war two hundred and fifty. This and Potidea were particular drains on their finances. The men on duty at Potidaea were two-drachma hoplites (receiving one drachma a day for themselves and one for their servant). There were three thousand of these at first, and this number was maintained throughout the siege; and then there were the sixteen hundred with Phormio, who left before the end. All the ships paid at this same rate. This then was the initial drain on their finances, and this the largest number of ships which they manned."

Who can point me in the direction of the drachmas mentioned in this passage? Could they be from Athens or from other allied cities' mints?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
    PeteB likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I don't think Thucydides is asserting they were paid each day with two individual drachma coins. Drachmas coins exist, but are far rarer than tetradrachmas. I think pay was episodic and in larger amounts for which tetradrachmas would have be the actual coins utilized. Of course, they were too valuable for minor purchases and smaller denominations exist, from drachmas like this one:
    SG2527AthensDrachm11151.jpg
    15-13 mm. 4.22 grams.
    Sear Greek 2527. SNG Cop III 42. Starr plate XXII 9' (after 449 BC).

This design is the same as on the tetradrachma, but the coin is much smaller in hand. Most Greek cities seem to have used the same designs on coins of different denominations.

There are smaller denominations that others can show you.

Bing, PeteB and robinjojo like this.
  4. Mrktstrtmyhm

Mrktstrtmyhm Active Member

Thanks! I've been browsing auctions for a few months now and I don't think I've seen a single Athenian drachma meanwhile nearly every auction has a dozen tetradrachms. So what you said makes complete sense.
    Fascinating stuff. I'll have to add this one to the wish list.

Draft saved Draft deleted