Featured Athena and Nike (Sort of)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by robinjojo, May 1, 2020.

1. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

From the slightly unhinged mind that brought you Athena and the frog, now comes Athena and Nike (sort of).

This is a tetradrachm that I picked up last year on VCoins. It is an early mass production coin (c. 465/2-454 BCE) that retains some of the characteristics of earlier tetradrachms, particularly regarding the owl. The owl is off center, so it is not possible to determine if the tail feathers separate into 3 or merge together. I suspect the latter.

Now it is well known that Athena had an affinity for Nike. This is shown in the Pallas Athena, where she is holding Nike in the palm of her right hand.

[​IMG]

In Athens, there is the temple of Athena Nike, constructed around 420 BCE, when Athens was in the middle of the Peloponnesian War.

[​IMG]

Now, as tetradrachms go, this example is VF perhaps a little better in condition. But what is interesting is the die rust that formed under Athena's neck. At first I thought it might be engraved, but it is die rust, nothing more, nothing less, but it does have a suggestion of being Nike, with wings extended and arms spread out. Of course it really isn't, but it's fun to use one's imagination sometimes, with or without the help of some libation!

D-Camera Attica Tetradrachm, Interesting Die Rust, 5-1-20.jpg D-Camera Attica Tetradrachm, Interesting Die Rust.2, 5-1-20.jpg

Sulla80, Orielensis, TheRed and 9 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

You have a better imagination than me. However, nice coin. My recent Athens Owl with nothing special to point to:
    ATTICA ATHENS 3.png

TheRed, rrdenarius, Andres2 and 7 others like this.
  4. robinjojo

That's a really nice, well centered tet. Did you get this coin out of auction?

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Nice coin, how recent?

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

No, I purchased from Frank Robinson's coin shop (http://www.fsrcoin.com/index.html).

7. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

I have one of pretty similar dies with die rust in the same spot :)

G135LG.jpg

robinjojo, Ryro, Alegandron and 3 others like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I have an Athens Fractional from the Peloponnesian War. These seem a bit harder to capture:

upload_2020-5-2_13-0-35.png
    Athens (Attica),
    454-404 BC,
    silver hemidrachm, 16mm, 2.08g

Obverse: Helmeted head of Athena w/ frontal eye r., wearing disc earring and pearl necklace
    Reverse: Owl w/ wings closed, standing facing between olive branches, Greek 'A-TH-E' (counterclockwise)
    Reference: Krol 12; HGC 4, 1641; Cop 70; SG 2528
    Comment: A classical "Athenian owl" hemidrachm from the golden age of Athens - characteristic for the fully facing reverse owl. Appropriately, attributes of the eponymous city's great patron-goddess claim the whole coin. From an Italian collection, formed in the early 1990
    Ex: Rudnik Numismatics

Here is one of NIKE about the same time, but in Sicily

upload_2020-5-2_13-3-57.png
    Sicily, Kamarina.
    AR litra, 11mm, 0.56g, 9h;
    c. 461-440/35 BC.
    Obv.: Nike flying left; below, swan standing left; all within wreath.
    Rev.: KAMAPI-NAION; Athena standing left, holding spear; at her feet, shield.
    Reference: Westermark & Jenkins series 2C; SNG ANS 1212-6.
    Ex: @John Anthony

Sulla80, TheRed, John Anthony and 4 others like this.
  9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

A big bit harder!

Alegandron likes this.
  10. robinjojo

Last year, from Athena.

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted