Athena and A Headless Nike

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by icerain, Jul 22, 2016.

1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

More coins from my buying spree.

I'm not too familiar with Nabataean coins but JA got me hooked on looking for these, so whenever I see one in decent shape I pick them up. This one is from @Brian Bucklan 's store.

[​IMG]
    Anonymous Issue
    270-72 B.C. / AE18.8 , 4.4g
    O: Helmeted Head of Athena right
    R: Nike standing left, holding cornucopia and wreath
    HGC 10, 671

Not sure if the year I got is right, it seems really far off from some of the other Nabataean coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I will say it's nice, but, really, I know nothing about these. Now JA on the other hand.......

icerain likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I know so little about Nabatean coins that EVERYONE else is an expert LOL....but I never realized they had those 'Greek' devices???

icerain likes this.
  5. Brian Bucklan

Brian Bucklan Well-Known Member

@icerain : Now I know who you are. It's nice to put a name to your Cointalk avatar.

As to the coin: I was told by an old time collector that these were first struck by Aretas III just after the mint was moved to Petra and are imitations of gold types of Alexander. They actually issued variations of these for many years but they must have been used quite a bit as they are typically found in not too great of condition.

icerain likes this.
  6. noname

noname Well-Known Member

What do you call ancient coins that lose their design when the patina is stripped off?

7. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Bought several coins from you over the years. Very happy with them.

I don't know if there is a technical term. But I would guess environmental damage since the layer underneath is now exposed to the elements.

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

You can read my pages on these coins here. Click through the rest of the chapter where I differentiate three different styles, catalog a unique drachm of the same type (sold by CNG), and correct a mistake of Meshorer's where he claimed the Nabataean letter heth occurred on some issues.

Mikey Zee, Alegandron and icerain like this.
  9. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

Curious where that date came from? Yours is a Meshorer 1 attributes to Aretas II. ca. 110-96 BCE. Here is one I sold and is most likely over struck on a Ptolemy. g225.jpg

10. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

No Nabateans here but it is one of my fave motifs.

Sidetet.jpg

Mikey Zee, TIF, zumbly and 2 others like this.
  11. John Anthony

The overstrikes came before the coins struck on blank flans. Hoover and Barkay suggest a terminus post quem of the mid 3rd-century BC. My page on those is here, and the next page catalogs a currently unique overstrike on a Seleucid bronze. Prior to this find, we had only seen overstrikes on Ptolemaic coins.

Brian Bucklan and Alegandron like this.
  12. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thanks @John Anthony . So the correct attribution should be this?

Early Kings
    Damascus mint: 135/4-110 BC to no later than 32 BC.Obv.: ‬Head of Athena right, ‬wearing crested Corinthian helmet.Rev.: ‬Nike standing left, ‬wreath in right hand, ‬uncertain object in left.
    Reference: ‬Me ‬1A, ‬S-K 2

13. John Anthony

It would be Me 1, S-K 1. Those are the coins cataloged by Meshorer and Schmitt-Korte that include the symbol ˄ under Nike's arm. Me 1A and S-K 2 are without the symbol.

icerain likes this.
  14. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

Thanks, I thought that little thing was part of the wing.

15. David@PCC

David@PCC allcoinage.com

That's great, I book marked it!

John Anthony and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted