ATB Proof - Silver or Clad?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Asher, Oct 24, 2021.

1. Asher

Asher Active Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

I'm a bit sketchy about this one,when it takes you to the coinfacts page it goes to the clad not silver for the coin.If I were you steer clear of this one the seller is trying to sneak in a few bills.

4. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

It's not silver.

5. Asher

Asher Active Member

Thanks, just confirming my suspicions

6. CaptHenway

CaptHenway Survivor

Down below he says that certification numbers may vary, so this may just be a stock photo of the design on a clad coin, but why bother?

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

This seller has 608 items for sale. He probably lists this stuff on the side in addition to doing other business. Not making excuses for him as it should be correct but I imagine some people on ebay list so much product, so quickly that there's bound to be mistakes in their favor or yours. They're pulling from hundreds if not thousands of stock photos. I've noticed you really have to pay attention as there's always auctions sprinkled in that are stock photos and not actually what you're buying.

8. Asher

Asher Active Member

That makes sense...well I put my bid in. There's a 30 day return policy. TY

9. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Silver Proofs will only be found from broken mint sets. Probably not going to find a good deal on one.

10. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Let us know how it goes.

11. Asher

Asher Active Member

in 2020 there was not a quarters only set?

12. Beardigger

There may have been a proof set of just quarters. But I don’t think there was a SILVER proof set of just quarters.

13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

My clad proof set came with a lens of just quarters. I think the silver proof set would have had a separate lens as well. Either way a single proof quarter would have needed to be broken out of a set. 20211024_205705~2.jpg

expat likes this.
  14. Asher

Asher Active Member

I think almost always the silver proof sets have a black internal holder. The lack of a 2020 silver quarters only would justify the high prices for single coins (as the 2021s are). I'll investigate more.

15. Asher

Asher Active Member

https://catalog.usmint.gov/america-...roof-set-20AQ.html?cgid=2020-product-schedule

Well, that was easy :)

The Mint sold it for $60 so $12 each would be reasonable. Sadly for me, I started my ATB Silver collection with buying two of the coins from this set. So afterwards it made sense to buy the 5-coin sets. So now I'm stuck with buying the American Samoa and Tallgrass coins which for some reason happen to have the highest prices.

16. Beardigger

Well here you can save a nickel from the mint set price and get all 5. Buy the set and keep the loose ones to sell later if you want. I never knew they sold them separately as in just quarters, and that's odd because I buy a silver proof set from the mint every year. I had a hard time with the 2021 set because of the price, but I really needed it so I bit the bullet.
    Anyway here is a link.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/255185734391?hash=item3b6a414af7:g:yc4AAOSwpthhbiUu

17. Asher

Asher Active Member

18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

The mint set, is clearly labeled "Silver".

19. Asher

Asher Active Member

I ordered the ZDCollectibles set, $50 is a very good price. A few days later the order was canceled without reason.

Draft saved Draft deleted