AT vs NT - what do you think?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by BigTee44, Jul 15, 2016.

?

AT or NT

1. NT

2. AT

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

Let's vote and see what everyone thinks

image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

That's tuff but I'm actually thinking it's NT. Look how the color banded around the specs at TY & shoulder area plus the color progression looks good. The pattern is the only thing making me think AT but unusual patterns exist and I'm seeing elevation chromatics

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

@BadThad you have a message at the front desk :)

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

gonna go with AT.

6. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Market unacceptable.

BadThad likes this.
  7. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

No offense. Ew that is so bad. AT.

8. totally

totally Active Member

fake fake fake

9. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Looks like it would grade AT but stranger things have happened

10. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

AT. You can tell by the patterns that a liquid was applied to make it tone.

carboni7e likes this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'll second that.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Damn, I'm out voted like a bazillion to one lol. Don't know what I was thinking last night but with fresh eyes and seeing the date I would have to agree

13. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's still pretty. :D

MKent likes this.
  14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not that I will do it, but what sort of chemical would do that?

15. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Not sure but heat may have something to do with it.

Paddy54 likes this.
  16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

That was my first impression

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Just getting back from the outer banks as a collector I couldn't help to notice how many pennies I received in change that had rainbow like shine on them.
    I learned quickly that one must leave their car windows cracked as the heat that built up in my rental was like an oven, even more so there, then home.
    That said I'm sure that tourists leave change in their cars
    as they go to and from the beaches.
    I also noticed as I received a 1945 P war nickel in change from a beer I purchased that there were a lot of cents pre 1980 circulating . Again all had a cooked look to them.

18. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful coin. I won't deny that. But the person who posted it on IG said its NT. I'm not a toning expert but I didn't think 10 years is long enough to have results like this naturally.

19. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

I say intentionally toned - IT.

20. thedredge

thedredge Active Member

I think it is AT as well.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I'd almost bet that the toning on your avatar occurred in much less time than that.

I realize that a great many people think that natural toning takes a long, long time to occur. But it doesn't. Oh sure there are times that it does take a long time, sometimes even a very long time. But there are also times when it occurs very quickly. And from everything I've seen, studied, read about, and heard over the years - quick occurs far more often than long.

Of course quick and long are relative terms and some will see them as meaning many different things. But for my purposes quick can be anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. Long can be anywhere from 5 years to decades. But in no case is either one a requirement for toning, or the lack of it, is entirely dependent upon conditions. And in most cases ones personal experience has little if any bearing on it because conditions can vary so greatly.

In other words, one can say well my coins never did this or my coins never did that, or my coins did do this or my coins did do that. And they think that this has meaning, that it indicates what other coins did or didn't do. But they don't realize that whatever happened to their coins only happened because their own very specific, and often quite different, conditions. There are literally a thousand or more variables involved in how coins tone or don't tone. And quite often, in fact almost always, those variables came into play long before you ever owned the coin.

I have personally seen colorful toning begin on new coins in as little as a few weeks. And that was on coins sealed in Air-Tites and then sealed in Tupperware containers - and in the second driest state in the country. And yet only 12 feet away where I had other virtually untoned older MS coins stored also sealed in Air-Tites and in another sealed container - nothing happened.

So what was different ? What could possibly explain such drastically different results ? Simple, the coins that toned were in a wooden chest of drawers. The coins that did not tone were in the safe, with nothing but inert materials.

And I did not do this as an experiment, it all happened quite by accident. The coins that I stuck in my dresser had no value to speak of, they were simply new coins that anybody could get, Silver Eagles as a matter of fact. So no, they weren't modern clad coins, they were silver, just like the older more valuable coins in the safe. The one and only difference was their exposure from being stored in that wood dresser.

My point is that's all it takes, once little thing being different. You can have your coins in album out on a bookshelf in the living room, or in an album stored away in your safe - and the results may be different. Or they may not, for there are other variables as well, countless numbers of them. And somebody else in another town may have completely different results than you did, even though they did the same things you did.

So no, colorful natural toning doesn't always take 10 years, or decades, or any other period of time. So don't ever fool yourself into believing that there is some set time. It can occur quickly, or slowly, or it may not occur at all. Certainly some toning will occur no matter what you do. The only question is the matter of degree and the way it will end up looking - hardly noticeable, attractive, ugly, or just plain blah.

NSP, BadThad, carboni7e and 1 other person like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted