AT vs NT??? 1881s morgan $

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jan 31, 2016.

?

AT or NT???

1. AT

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NT

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

Picked this up for $22 at a meltdown shop.... I check the shops inventory regularly as I've had many scores there.... Any who, this one was sitting right next to an obvious AT Morgan $, both of which probably walked in the same day possibly from same seller(idk)
    My doubts are: it doesn't look like a normal crescent toned Morgan like I'm used to seeing. What do you guys think???? IMAG0444_1.jpg IMAG0438_1.jpg IMAG0446_1.jpg IMAG0437_1.jpg

swamp yankee and bear32211 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. heavycam.monstervam

And b4 you say it Treashunt, photos thru 2x2s are useless... You have beaten this into my brain!!:banghead:

Insider likes this.
  4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

NT with some friction rub. I won't spoil why though just yet :p

heavycam.monstervam likes this.
  5. heavycam.monstervam

I already know what you're gonna say, which is precisely why I bought it;)

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I've heard of doctors using partial NT morgans with this feature and "adding AT to them" which is something to scrutinize but I've never ran into one myself

7. heavycam.monstervam

That's why I'm asking for expert opinions here, plus, I've seen 100s-even 1000s of morgans, but I don't recall seeing one quite like this.....

8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NT, and ditto to your quote. Don't know if I would catch one of those either.

Have seen many $ with both NT and AT characteristics on their surfaces. Perhaps those are some of the partly "doctored" coins we hear about.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

What doesn't look normal about it? Looks like your average, natural, scruffy, AU, medium eye appeal Morgan.

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Looks good to me.

11. heavycam.monstervam

It looks like it jumps from 2nd cycle to 4th cycle toning on the reverse
    Plus i normally see 1 sided toning, or 1 1/4 sided toning on morgans

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

"NT" doesn't necessarily mean one single exposure to appropriate "NT" conditions; it could well have begun, stopped with a sale into a location with cleaner air, and then restarted with a move into more sulphur-laden air.

Maybe the owner had a beautiful crescent-toned coin, and then a volcano erupted upwind and temporarily increased local sulfur content. I suspect the recent Icelandic eruptions blowing over Europe created a bunch of this.

13. heavycam.monstervam

That's a good explanation Dave, I hadn't thought of this . I just wanted to be 100% sure, as opposed to 90% I guess. Most of the circ Morgan's I run across are cleaned and/or I normally don't look real hard at 'em. This is the 1st AU Morgan I've picked up in ages. I like 'em unmolested;)

14. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

It looks just like some that my Dad had in his SDB, bought in the treasury releases, handled enough to become AU, then stored in a cardboard folder to pick up the dirty looking toning. The crescent was probably from its first life in the canvas bag.

JPeace$ and heavycam.monstervam like this.
  15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm with the consensus: looks good to me, though that might change with better photos. :)

That's typically what you'll get with bag or album toning, true, but it doesn't mean anything. I have a nice looking 1904-O that's toned 100% on the obverse and about 75% on the reverse (and the reverse part is a nice crescent shape that suggest an occlusion by another coin). The color progressions on mine are exactly what you'd expect from NT.

16. Insider

This coin looks totally normal to me. Cascade and I were exploring a different line of thinking.:angelic:

17. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

There is no good reason to AT a coin which already has value-added toning. Defeats the purpose of AT.

18. Insider

Actually, if the coin can be made even more attractive w/virtually UNDETECTABLE art toning, it makes perfect $s $e $n $s $e to me, but what do I know?:angelic:

Besides, the ONLY people the "Coin Doctor" needs to fool are the dealer Ex-Perts who find out the coin is AT in the opinion of the TPGS when they try to get it in a holder. But what do they know? :shifty::bookworm:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I've heard it's done to minor crecents with pullaway to turn them into monsters with pullaway. Although this is all conjecture as I've never seen one either in hand or in pics.

Insider likes this.
  20. Insider

By "pullaway" (never heard this term) are you referring to the "silver" untoned areas next to the relief such as the stars? Robert Paul calls it "Draft" toning. That's what I use also. I MAY change my terminology if all the guys on CT use your term. Anyway, if that is the case "pullaway" makes sense too.

Bob thought it had to do with the way "contaminated air" flowed over the coin thru time. Thus "Draft."

I think it has to do with the density of the metal at stress points due to striking that make it less susceptible to tone. Anyway, this is one of the best indications for natural toning - for now, as I can think of how the "doctors" can duplicate it.;);)

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

pictures in holders are very deceiving.

and generally useless.

Draft saved Draft deleted