AT or NT--Opinions Please!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lehigh96, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I would like everyone to examine this photo and guess whether or not the coin is AT or NT. Please give your reasons for your choice as well. I have my own opinion, but will keep it to myself until we have some replies. This should get interesting.

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

We meet again! :)

I am leaning toward AT. Some aspects of the toning appear to be NT but most appears to be AT.

I wouldn't pay a premium for this toning (but keep in mind I wouldn't pay a premium for most toning). In fact, I might discount what I would pay due to the toning.

4. snaz

snaz Registry fever

opposite for me. I love toning.
    yet to add one to my collection though

5. Lehigh96

Hobo,

What aspects do you find to be AT or NT. BTW I agree, and I don't plan to pay a premium for this coin. This is just a numismatic exercise.

6. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I'll guess accelerated enviornment toning with a juiced saturated pic....
    Elements of natural toning exist

this use to fool NGC alot

EDIT
    This coin doctor is good

7. snaz

snaz Registry fever

thanks, it means alot:cool:

8. gocamels

gocamels Learned Blockhead

Part of the color on the reverse looks like it might be natural, but most looks like AT to me as well.

9. diocletian

diocletian Senior Member

AT. Too splotchy and the progression of colors does not look natural. Pretty coin tho. Torch or chemicals?

10. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

The toning lays on the fields and does not climb up on the devices (like NT) in some areas - especially the reverse - but does climb up and over the devices in other areas (like AT).

I agree. I am leaning more and more to AT on this one.

11. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

I agree, the splotchiness (is that a word?) makes it appear unnatural, unlike that nice smooth colour transition that only time (I'm assuming) can bring.

It's still a very attractive coin though... I'm a fan!

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Lehigh - post a pic of that Rosie in your sig line up next to this coin. Then see what they have to say.

13. Lehigh96

OK,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FWIW, I have no idea whether or not this Roosevelt is AT or NT and I really don't care. All I know is that it is the singularly most attractive clad coin I have ever seen or owned. I love my little emerald dime.

14. covert coins

covert coins Coin Hoarder

Iam leaning toward AT also. The dime is AT for sure but the whole idea of collecting is getting what appeals to you the collector..

15. Lehigh96

After studying this coin, I have concluded that I can't determine whether or not the coin is AT or NT from these photos. The color on both the obverse and reverse does not look quite right to me. The powder blue and magenta on the obverse seem OK, but the mixture of mottle sunshine yellow and teal just looks wrong. The reverse green also looks unusual. The apparent depth of the toning appears natural. The toning pattern has definite aspects of NT with the untoned lettering on toned fields. The reverse progression seems to also indicate NT starting with yellow-magenta-cyan. The obverse toning progression is all over the place, but that is not enough to definitively say it is AT.

I have even examined some external factors. The coin is 1927-P and although it is not rare, most AT Mercury dimes are minted after 1935. However, since we all agree that if the coin is AT, this coin doctor is really good, it would not be out of the realm for him to apply his trade to a coin a little more expensive than $20.

The coin is raw which is a strong indicator that the coin is AT. However, the coin is being sold by a very reputable dealer (R & I Coins). It would surprise me if a dealer of this quality would attempt to pass off a cheap AT coin on their site without mentioning that they believe it to have questionable toning.

Last but not least, R & I coins does not do a very good job of photographing toned coins. Their photos (IMO and experience with them) completely distort the actual colors. Take a look at the photos below. The photos on the right are by Heritage and are an accurate representation of the coin's appearance. The photos on the left are by R & I coins and honestly those colors are not on the coin. The dealer has a 15 day return policy on their E-Bay auctions so I will probably bid on this coin and if I win, I will post new photos before making my determination about the originality of the toning. Then I will decide whether or not to keep the coin. Stay Tuned!

[​IMG]

16. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Keep us posted. It will be interesting - and educational - to find out if it is NT or AT.

17. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

NT with saturation modified in imaging program or slightly accelerated NT/AT(not sure where to draw the line on AT to NT) over NT. On the R side of both pics, toning looks as if it is part of coin and hard to say on the L. Between t and date on obv and of to Dime on rev.

18. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

geez, hard to say.
    it looks like it could be NT... but there's a good chance it isnt too.

no idea...

19. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

I would not even venture a guess

20. Lehigh96

Don't worry magman, you spent 2 minutes and came to the same conclusion that took me 2 hours to make.

21. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

lol, thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted