AT or NR toning?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LuxUnit, Oct 21, 2017.

1. LuxUnit

LuxUnit Well-Known Member

AT or NR, and what tips do you have for identifying natural vs artificial?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

AT. The colors, blue goldish brown and purple with no graduation between them. Those colors are the tell. Notice that the blues look like what happens if you heat a coin with a match or lighter. One way to learn is to experiment. Get some nice AU-Unc 1964 Washington Quarters that are just junk silver and try putting them in a SBA dollar tube, light a match and put it inside (not touching the coin) and block the end so the match runs out of air. See what the unburnt sulfur does. Lot of things like that and you will see what colors come out. PCGS has done a big dis-service in grading ASE's as legit toning with wild colors. Nothing natural can tone like that that quickly. At least ANACS grades the MS60 Artificially Toned.

Insider likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

6. Dave Waterstraat

Dave Waterstraat Well-Known Member

Intentionally toned - not market acceptable.

7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Badly done AT, not market acceptable either. If a person intends to fake toning, they should not use circulated coins.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Kids need to stick to coloring books

9. LuxUnit

lol I appreciate the feedback, Its funny to me how easy it is to tell but I still dont know. This means once it clicks in my mind it will hopefully be easy to identify!

10. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Read, read and read again & again & again...

http://www.jhonecash.com/coins/tonedmorgans.asp

SilverMike likes this.
  11. LuxUnit

@Cascade really good read, I already feel better about identifying just by that article.

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Read it again and again and again until it sinks in. And also the links. And also, when you see toners you're interested in or already have go to it and try to identify the color progression to get familiar with the stages and also try to match the patterns.

13. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Cooked........

14. SilverMike

SilverMike Well-Known Member

That is a great link. The color progression is explained well.

Draft saved Draft deleted