At/nt?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pi man, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Do you guys think this is AT or NT?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

It's hard to say Pi man. Even if it is NT, it isn't the type of toning that would add a premium. This particular cent looks washed out to me. Like it took an old cleaning or dip in something. Which may be the reason for the toning.

4. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

So it's not worth $2 on the Bay, I'd assume?

5. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

It's probably worth at least that, even if it is AT. If you like it, go for it.

6. BUncirculated

BUncirculated Well-Known Member

Why would someone waste their time ATing a cent?

Most ATing done is on silver coinage, mostly dollar coins from the late 19th, and mid 20th centuries, for the purpose of scamming people for toning premiums.

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Which is why you should never pay a premium for toning lol... sorry, couldn't resist. But it's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of toning and will never pay a premium for it; it may be artificial anyway (and is usually ugly even if not imo, but that's a matter of taste).

But otherwise, good point. If someone was trying to AT a cent to get more money than it would otherwise be worth, they wouldn't be selling it for just $2; it wouldn't be worth the effort.

8. Pi man

Pi man Well-Known Member

Valid points. The listing ended, anyways. I was too late (as usual).

9. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That coin does not have original surfaces. Whether or not one might consider it AT is one thing, but it has definitely been boinked.

Draft saved Draft deleted