At least he's being honest...

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mikenoodle, Oct 13, 2019.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I stumbled across this auction tonight on eBay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1882-BU-WO...599520?hash=item2cf88dbce0:g:qbsAAOSw2XtdnVMR

The description reads:

The coin is in raw uncertified condition and is a very nice coin. Please look at the pictures as this is the actual coin you will receive. Coin has been cleaned and artificially toned.

I think that those things are mutually exclusive, but I digress...

I wonder if you ask him how he knows that they've been cleaned and artificially toned, if he'd tell you that the only way that he could know for sure is if he did it himself, and he is sure.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Very strange. The guy put a lot of effort in the description, not so much with the B/W pictures.

I was just looking at his listings. All of his picture stink! That's gotta be intentional!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    I_like_Morgans likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

The ever-in-demand "glossy silver" toning? o_O

5. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

A good way to sell your Morgan dollars that wouldn't ordinarily sell. Just polish them and say you did so.

6. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Ooh it’s shiny!

7. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

Very high contrast setting to make it appear PL. Very common deception tactic by eBay sellers

I_like_Morgans and Islander80-83 like this.
  8. Islander80-83

And his negative feedback reflects that.

I_like_Morgans likes this.
  9. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Not really, if I were to post coins for sale all of my pictures would stink, too, but that's because I have a very old, low resolution camera, and no skills at working with my photos to improve them.

I see that sort of listing often on ebay, and when I suspect that a coin might be modified, I often contact the seller. If I get no reply, that probably means something negative; if he replies by saying he accepts all returns with no questions asked, it means something else. If he says something else that might not seem like the truth, then I dismiss the coin.

10. Islander80-83

You wanta sell something, it's all in the advertising. Good pictures probably equals better sales, don't you think?

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You are assuming the purchasers have a modicum of common coin sense. Sadly I am afraid you are over assuming.

12. Islander80-83

No, I was actually referring to the sellers. But I guess it applies to both.

13. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

How can you tell it is even toned - worst pictures eva .. of course doctored too :)

14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Yuck. In no universe should anyone pay more than melt for that.

Also, cleaned (or in this case, highly polished) and AT are not mutually exclusive. I've seen plenty of these where the AT is an attempt to hide the cleaning. Nothing's going to hide the polishing job on this one, though.

15. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

He must do his own coin polishing, because the Morgans all look the same. All have "mirrored surfaces" (his wording).

16. LA_Geezer

I contacted this seller a year or so ago to ask about a particular coin I was interested in buying. I asked about cleaning and polishing. He answered that he did not know and that he is selling the coin just as he received it.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  17. LA_Geezer

Sorry, I didn't see this reply. Yes a quality picture is surely an aid to selling, but this assumes that none of the sellers who have quality pictures are doctoring those pictures to end up with a superior looking coin.

Even though I once had a deep interest in photography—I even took two courses in photography in college—that was fifty years ago. I abandoned my interest after college because the expense was so high, and I had no free lab to use anymore. My eyes at my age are not good enough to distinguish a good picture from a doctored one.

18. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

He only has 10 negative out of almost 17,000 positives

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

If he accepts a return and the buyer leaves negative feedback, he can get that feedback removed. Lack of negative feedback isn't a reliable indicator.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Not if you are trying to hide something. In that case good pictures would probably hurt sales.

21. Islander80-83

I guess I'm to naive. I shouldn't assume the seller is honest.

Draft saved Draft deleted