At it again... fake gold coins listed on ebay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jwitten, Jan 29, 2016.

1. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Endeavor likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

This guy won't give up. Considering the number of bidders, I don't half-blame him.

4. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

I see casting bubbles all over the surface of the reverse. Obverse pic is too blurry.

5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

If all of his coins are fake then I feel bad for the guy who bought this from him

1923 $20 ST. GAUDENS Double Eagle Gold Coin (#161937595713) US $1,275.00

6. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Among too many issues to have just one. :(

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Sometimes I tell myself there can't be that many idiotic people to bid.

Obviously I'm wrong....

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If you click the feedback item link (for this and the $600+ sale) they've been removed.

9. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

10. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Not sure how 39 ppl thought they needed to bid on this ..
    Winning bid:
    US $661.21
    Free shipping
    [ 39 bids ]
    This was a flagrant counterfeit .. not even an attempt to make it look real

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Where they keep getting this rubbush

12. HardTruths

HardTruths Member

Wow. That really worries me. I am new to collecting and have been looking at many coins online. I am aware of the risks but since there is only one coin shop in my area I have limited options other than online. The risks would be mostly avoided if I could afford pcgs or other graded coins but unfortunately thats not an option at this point. Heck, I barely made my tuition payment this semester. Plus, I like to look for coins that have been missed or are bargains. It's kind of like a treasure hunt where you get a little pot of gold at the end. Or in my case Silver... Well, I guess I am going to do some research on spotting fakes before even considering a bid. This site is great. I have learned a lot since signing up a few days ago.

13. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

It is hard starting out, my recommendation to all beginners, start with one or two types of coins, get books about those types. Take your time as you select coins. Your collections may grow or change as experience grows. Learning to spot good and bad coins will come with your experience. Find a coin club in your area, local and regional coin shows. Big Coin Shows will also have many benefits like the ability to view coins to be auctioned. Most generally they are graded. See as many of the type coins you collect, as this can teach yourself variety and consistence of grading. Good Luck hope we can help. :) Neat thing about coin collecting .. it can be what you can effort. Planning is part of the journey :)

JPeace$ likes this.
  14. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Ebay is a great place to buy and sell coins but you better be careful. It's a minefield with all the fake coins and shill bidding.

And don't count on Ebay to do much about it.

15. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Here I am a whole 13.5 hours late to the party, and I can't see the pictures because the listing's removed. :(

16. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

This is the reason Go2 is not open for everyone to sell.... Only dealers we know and trust. If there is ever a problem, we will take care of it.

JPeace$ likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted