Astroid 16 Phsyche - Worth? $10,000 quadrillion!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by paddyman98, Jan 6, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

HUBBLE CAPTURES PHOTO OF ASTEROID WORTH 70,000 TIMES THE GLOBAL ECONOMY!

Phsyche 16
    Asteroid_16_Psyche_-47191.jpeg
    The asteroid’s worth is $10,000,000,000,000,000,000
    That’s a lot of zeros, right?

It's made almost entirely from metal instead of rock and ice. Psyche could be unique in that it might be an asteroid that is totally made of iron and nickel.. That's a lot of Nickels that can be minted!

I want to share the following webpage with you -

https://www.diyphotography.net/hubb...steroid-worth-70000-times-the-global-economy/

GH#75, SensibleSal66 and Inspector43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

However, with that much mineral available I think the market would be diluted to the point that it do very little for the economy.

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

I see two problems with this valuation:

1. Metals (or any other commodity) are only worth something if you can get to them and move them to where you will use them. Spaceflight is enormously expensive, and even if Elon Musk or someone else manages to reduce the cost substantially, it's still going to be a difficult and dangerous endeavor.

2. If that much metal suddenly entered the economy, the value would crash, for obvious supply-and-demand reasons.

There are already mind-bogglingly enormous quantities of metals right here on Earth, but buried so deep that there's no way we can get to it. This asteroid is interesting scientifically, and may be worth sending a probe to visit, but I wouldn't get your hopes up for economically-viable asteroid mining just yet.

GH#75, Inspector43, -jeffB and 2 others like this.
  5. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

Paddyman98 and musk are set to depart at the end of summer...dangerous? Have you seen the "scooper" he has...see dirty diggin videos....they might just tow it into earth orbit.!!!

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

My thoughts? Maybe in the very far future we will figure out how to use such an asteroid to begin building a Dyson Sphere ;)
    1_KZeGiiC5Wm3oAMMNQoCeUA.png

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. Sidney Osborne

Sidney Osborne Well-Known Member

And with the help of neuralinking you and elon can program humanoids to do most of the menial work of the dyson construction....
    Have faith in you Paddyman98. .get elon organized..he has a lot on the table..!

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

Building a Dyson Sphere would upgrade us from a Class 1.2 civilization to a Class 2 civilization! :D

Inspector43 and paddyman98 like this.
  9. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As you know, value is only what someone is willing to pay for it, so I'll bid $1, but probably can't afford the delivery cost. LOL

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

There's a lot more metal than that right under your feet. You can't get to that metal, either.

We'll probably never be able to harvest metal from Earth's core, but we'll someday be able to work on asteroids. If the prospect of shiny PMs motivates someone to build out our space capability, that seems like a good thing to me.

11. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think there is one of these in Sudbury, Canada. Nickel capitol of the world.

Sudbury is built around many small, rocky mountains with exposed igneous rock of the Canadian (Precambrian) Shield. The ore deposits in Sudbury are part of a large geological structure known as the Sudbury Basin, which are the remnants of a nearly two billion-year-old impact crater;[25] long thought to be the result of a meteorite collision, more recent analysis has suggested that the crater may in fact have been created by a comet.[26]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Sudbury

20191025_205045.jpg 20191025_205054.jpg

12. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

We could also exploit Saturn's moon, Titan, the largest moon in the solar system. We now know that Titan has 100 TIMES the oil and natural gas reserves that the Earth has. So much for oil and gas being "fossil fuels", BTW.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

o_O

Okay, first of all, "hydrocarbons on Titan proves Earth's oil isn't fossil fuel" is absolutely silly. It's like saying "there's CO2 in Venus' atmosphere, so that proves that animals on Earth don't exhale it."

Second of all, yes, there are immeasurable tons of hydrocarbons on Titan -- but to move a ton of it from there to here, you'd need the energy equivalent of burning a hundred tons, or a thousand tons, or a million tons of hydrocarbons (no, I'm not going to do the math right now). One other catch: you'd have to take your own oxygen to combine with it, and that would take two or three times as much energy.

paddyman98 and Parthicus like this.
  14. Numiser

Numiser Well-Known Member

They'll keep all the ore in space so they can build a death star!

deathstar.jpg

paddyman98 likes this.
  15. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

16. longnine009

A hundred years from now.

Hi everyone. So I just bought this astroid called
    Phsyche 16 and I was wondering, is that a laminationian at 10-12 O'clock? How much does that increase the AV? (astroid value) Thank you in advance...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    -jeffB likes this.
  17. longnine009

Next time don't run the turnpike toll!

Draft saved Draft deleted