Assistance please

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Vorsehung, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Vorsehung

Vorsehung New Member

I have been trying to research this penny and haven't been able to track down any duplicates or information. Has anyone seen this type of error? Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Welcome, new member!

There's nothing to research; it's just a powerful PMD gouge from a chisel or screwdriver, thereby mutilating the coin.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

It looks like post-mint damage to me, too, and I'm just guessing that it was originally dated 1918.

Chris

5. SunriseCoins

SunriseCoins Active Member

PMD,nobody could say why,as nobody here was there to see what did the PMD to that Cent.

6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hey that 1918 Cent was mine! I did it.. I took a small flathead screwdriver and hit it hard to see what would happen! Thus causing Post Mint Damage! Then I used it to pay a toll booth to get across a bridge.

7. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Very logical. And because the tollkeeper only needed ONE Lincoln to complete his set, a 1918 :woot:, he was so irritated at the mutilation that he threw the coin in the river, where it was found with a metal detector and eventually displayed on CT.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The corrosion pattern seems to reflect a long time in the ground. Likely a metal detector find and hit with the digging tool . ;)

9. Vorsehung

Vorsehung New Member

Thank you for the warm welcome to the neighborhood and your opinions/thoughts. Grandmother kept in a box for years. Probably thought it was a rare valuble coin. Passed away years ago and we found. May not be worth much in $ but something special to us. Thank you again

Draft saved Draft deleted