Assistance Identifying and opinions welcome

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by dog_pound, Apr 22, 2019.

1. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Just started dabbling in Ancients.
    I believe the first one is Severus Alexander, the military standards are confusing me.

The second I think is Marcus Cassianius Latinius Postumus, however the apparent deer on the reverse has me questioning my choice.

Again very new to this side of coins. I didn't want to just say help identify without a guess on my part so any pointers or opinions on the coins are welcome. Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

Your second coin is Gallienus with an antelope on the reverse.

Justin Lee and dog_pound like this.
  4. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Rough, but here are my guesses:
    First coin: Provincial coin of Severus Alexander struck at Nicaea
    Second, Gallienus

dougsmit, Justin Lee and dog_pound like this.
  5. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

It has IOVI CONS AVG as a reverse inscription -- it's a goat (the association of Jupiter with Amalthea):

Gallienus IOVI CONS AVG goat antoninianus.jpg

It's part of Gallienus's popular zoo series. Read more about it here.

I also have a similar provincial of Severus Alexander from Nicaea:

Severus Alexander Nicaea.jpg

6. dog_pound

Thank you, very helpful and I enjoyed the link to the zoo series

Roman Collector likes this.
  7. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I commend you for taking that initial effort, and very nice coins you have got there. Welcome! Curious what your process was or resources you used to get the info you had in your OP?

8. dog_pound

Started with a couple of opinions from my local coin club, then went to the following books, Reading and dating Roman coins, Whitman ancient roman and Greek, then the book Alec II. Checked a little on images via internet after I thought I had narrowed it down

9. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Nice coins. Welcome to ancients!

10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I am particularly happy you were able to explain your efforts before posting here. I might suggest a good first step is to decide which major category the coin fits in: Greek, Roman or Provincial. Of course there are many other non-classical civilizations (mostly Eastern) but narrowing a coin down to one of the three often helps. The Severus Alexander has Greek legends with a portrait of an Emperor so Provincial is the choice. The Latin legend on the Gallienus is pretty clear but the secret here was the reverse. If you can identify the reverse 'deer' you might search using that term and find who used the type. Postumus did not but you might note that his beard was very different from Gallienus' so you might go in the right direction even without reading the legend. The secret here is practice. Read threads here and try to ID coins belonging to others to build your vocabulary of ancient coins. Ask questions when you get stuck but I guarantee that you will get more help out of many of us if you show efforts on your own that tell us you want to learn rather than having it handed to you on a platter. Welcome to the group.

11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

A couple of good coins, and your effort at attribution is commendable given that you are just starting out. Welcome to the world of Ancients!!!

Roman Collector likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted