Assissin's Creed Odyssey Set in Ancient Greece!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

The new Assassin's Creed Odyssey video game due out in October will be set in Ancient Greece sometime around 430 B.C. if what I am reading is correct.

https://assassinscreed.ubisoft.com/.../exploring-the-land-and-sea-of-ancient-greece

There are lots of cool screen shots of the Parthenon, etc. floating around the internet from the game.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/15/assassins-creed-odyssey-athens

Not a big fan of the series although I enjoyed the pirate themed release and still need to play the one set in ancient Egypt.

This should be cool just to be able to walk around ancient Athens and tour the landmarks. The company seems to have spent a lot of effort in making it as accurate as they can.

Maybe I can watch this coin being made:

Athens Tet 1a.jpg
    John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Theodosius

Looks pretty spectacular:

Untitled.png
    Low res screen capture from a video...

Wait until you can play it in 4K.

John

4. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Looks incredible .. it's amazing how big the gaming industry is now. Some of the creative budgets are similar to what you would expect for blockbuster movies.

ominus1 likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

...assassins....

6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I was slightly thrown for a loop a few days ago when I got the newest GameInformer mag in my mailbox... This game was the cover story and here is the mag cover:

20180817_150618.jpg
    Including a lil Athenian owl.
    20180817_151058.jpg

And here are a couple inner pages:
    20180817_150638.jpg
    20180817_150244.jpg

They toute lots of branching storyline and decision making making for a dynamic game.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to this one. The last one, AC Origins, was set in Egypt around Ptolemy (I believe) and was far and above better than the ones that had been released in awhile.

zumbly and Theodosius like this.
  8. Theodosius

Do coins play any part in Origins?

I wonder if any make an appearance in the new game?

John

9. furryfrog02

Not that I can recall beyond buying normal weapons and whatnot.

10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Wow they even got details like that the Theatre of Dionysus was made out of wood at this period instead of stone like the Roman era remains we see today.

I'm not easily impressed by a video game's attention to detail but I must admit that this game looks impressive!

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. furryfrog02

Origins has a mode where you can just do a walking tour of Egypt. Basically your character walks around the map and gets history lessons on the area and famous people and landmarks. Pretty interesting :)

Theodosius, zumbly and Justin Lee like this.
  12. Milesofwho

Milesofwho Omnivorous collector

I remember hearing about this. I’ll definitely watch some videos about it when it comes out. I don’t think I’ll buy it though. I always have felt $60 is too much money for a video game. I stick to $20 or less.

TypeCoin971793 and Justin Lee like this.
  13. furryfrog02

I don't buy new releases anymore. They usually have a sale after a month or so for ~$35. That is an acceptable price point for me. I will probably get this game if/when it goes on sale around black friday.

Clavdivs likes this.
  14. Milesofwho

I am just waiting it out until Mega Man X legacy collection goes on sale, just like the first two did.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  15. Milesofwho

While we’re on the topic, what video games do you all play? I don’t intend thread drift.

16. furryfrog02

I've got the original collections that came out for ps2...not to mention originals for NES, SNES, and PS2 :)

17. Milesofwho

Neat! I don’t have any original ones, but I have played a Mega Man 2 cartridge on a physical emulator.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  18. The plot of the game seems to be Spartans vs Athenians. The main character you play is a Spartan who was "discarded." I've watched all gameplay and trailers. When you receive payment; it's in the form of a gold drachm that seems to be styled after a Spartan shield. Not sure if they just don't care or don't know that Spartans/Lacedaemonians didn't make coinage for another 200 years. I'll send a message to the creative director. They seemed to take several Athenian districts seriously, i.e. the pottery district, linen district, marble district. Maybe we can get them to create a Mint to be toured in Discovery Tour Mode when it releases and to change the image of the coins to Athenian tets or drachmae.
    ACO Drachmae.png

Curtisimo and furryfrog02 like this.
  19. furryfrog02

What can I say...I'm old :p

Milesofwho likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

Say what you want about the story-line and stuff...but I will say that they do try to do their best with regards to historical accuracy when it comes to small stuff if possible.

21. Milesofwho

Hah! One of the best things about those collections to me is that I don’t have to pay the original issue price for all of them separately.

Quant.Geek and furryfrog02 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted