Aspendos Wrestlers

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Shea19, Jun 1, 2019.

1. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

I’ve wanted one of these for a very long time, and after being outbid many, many times, I finally picked up an Aspendos wrestlers stater. I’m so happy I waited for this one...ended up being more than I wanted to spend, but definitely worth it. It’s well-struck, but has a little wear and tear, which is how I prefer it...it reminds me that someone actually held and used this a couple thousand years ago.

96EB9948-747A-4E7D-8C7F-58AD29CD3A32.jpeg

Pamphylia, Aspendos. AR Stater (22 mm, 10.65g). Circa 380/75-330/25 BC.
    Two nude wrestlers, standing and grappling with each other; between them, AK./ Rev[ΕΣΤ]FΕΔΙΙ[ΥΣ] Slinger standing right; to right, triskeles running left; all within dotted square border. SNG Paris 84. Tekin Series 4.

I especially like this series because it shows athletes, instead of the gods. And now I can almost forgive myself for selling off my old baseball card collection many years ago (well, not really, but I do love the coin).

I know there are many different varieties of these, so let’s see your Aspendos wrestlers!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Way to be! Some really nice detail on your athletes. As I recall @dougsmit had pointed out to me that some of these guys boxers and they're not always wrestlers!
    I was pretty jazzed when I purchased mine not to long ago:
    6BFFC760-2EC8-45E0-8958-341AA0F0AA2F.png

Pamphylia. Aspendos
    370-330 BCE
    Stater AR
    22mm., 10,17g.
    Two wrestlers grappling; AΦ between / EΣTFEΔIIVΣ, slinger to right, triskeles in right field.
    very fine
    SNG France 83

Since it's got a sports theme and there is a heavyweight title fight on tonight I'll add my coin with an ancient boxing glove:
    35E6E33F-294F-4C6C-AC68-1AE9688EE1B7.png

Ionia, Smyrna
    Civic issue. 2nd-1st century BCE 75-50 BCE Metrodoros, son of Menekles, magistrate. laureate head of Apollo right within dotted border / [ΞΜ]ΥΡΝΑΙΩ[Ν] / [ΜΗΤ]ΡΟΔΩΡ[ΟΣ] , ethnic and magistrate's name vertically downwards to right and left of hand in caestus; palm-branch to right. Cf. BMC 56; Cf. Milne 393; Cf. SNG Cop 1172. VF, smooth tan-green patina. "caestus" is a early version of the boxing glove

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  4. Plumbata

Plumbata Well-Known Member

Very nice! I've always been much more interested in the Slinger, and prefer to think that is the most important side of the coin. :)

cruddy Selge stater of the same style, with triskelion-embossed lead sling bullet:
    gggg.JPG

5. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This is a great type, and I very much like your example. Congratulations on the new acquisition!

In AMCC 1, I wasn't able to resist this coin:

Magna Graecia – Pamphylien, Aspendos, Stater, Schleuderer:Ringer.png
    Pamphylia, Aspendos, AR stater, 380–325 BC. Obv: two wrestlers grappling; FИ between; in exergue, EΛVΦA MENETVΣ. Rev: slinger in throwing stance r.; EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to l., triskele to r.; all within dotted square border. 23mm, 11.04g. Ref: SNG France 97–98; Tekin: Aspendian Wrestlers (2000), series 4. Ex AMCC 1, lot 35.

Also, here is a humble example of the "older brother" of the wrestler stater:

Magna Graecia – Pamphylien, Aspendos, Stater, Krieger Triskele.png
    Aspendos, Pamphylia, AR stater, ca. 465–430 BC. Obv: Warrior walking r., holding sword and shield. Rev: Triskeles, two test cuts. 17mm, 10.91g. Ref: SNG France 1–11.

6. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Aspendos, Pamphylia; 4th Cent. B.C. AR Stater (10.9 gm.). Obv: Two wrestlers of the early, and very rare, "Belt Wrestlers" variety, three letters in field: (?) to l., H below and between wrestlers, and X to r. (the only clear depiction of this letter on examples I have seen, and undocumented in the major references), all within a dotted circular border. Wrestler on right grasps belt of wrestler on the left with his right hand. Rev: Slinger advancing r., about to discharge his sling; triskeles to l. and ΕΣΤ to r., all within a dotted circular border. References to similar coins: Vente Publique 32, 20 Oct 1966, no. 134 ; Giessener Münzhandlung 102, 24 May 2000, no. 291.
    Aspendos_small.JPG

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  7. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

8. I need a sweep the leg type. Do you have a higher resolution photo?

9. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Here is a larger version...the largest I have handy: Aspendos.JPG

10. Svarog

Svarog Well-Known Member

great one, here is mine from H Berk Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 4.34.17 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-28 at 4.34.02 PM.png

11. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Awesome, and the boxing glove version is a first for me, haven't seen that type before, nice! Thanks for sharing @Ryro :)
    The coins of Aspendos, a city in southern Asia Minor, were struck on the so-called Persian standard. Most of the wrestler staters weigh around 10,80 - 11 ,09 g. There are very few staters which weigh more than 11 .10 g and less than 10.00 g. In the last emissions of the fifth series the weight is generally less than 10.60 g.

These are my wrestlers, one is round the other is oval:

AR Stater
    23 mm, 10.30 g; Aspendos, Pamphylia struck ca 330/325 - 310/300 BC.
    Ref.: SNG von Aulock 4575; SNG Copenhagen 240; SNG France 122;
    Ob.: two naked wrestlers, the figure on the left grasping his opponent’s arms, their heads pressed together as they strain against each other, within dotted circle. Monogram E between them.
    Rev.: slinger standing right, about to discharge his sling, triskelion in right field, O between legs, all within dotted circle. In l. field EΣTFEΔIIYΣ the local Greek name for the city of Aspendos

upload_2019-6-1_20-10-12.png upload_2019-6-1_20-10-23.png
    18 x 26 mm; 10.90 g;
    Aspendos, Pamphylia, ca 400 - 380 BC
    Ref.: SNG Copenhagen 205; SNG BN 74; SNG von Aulock 4518; SNG France 3, 104;

Ob.: two naked wrestlers, the figure on the left grasping his opponent’s arms, their heads pressed together as they strain against each other, within dotted circle
    Rev.: EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to l., slinger standing right, about to discharge his sling; triskelion in right field, sling bullet (or grain?) below, all within dotted square
    upload_2019-6-1_20-14-54.png upload_2019-6-1_20-15-8.png

Curtisimo, TIF, Orielensis and 7 others like this.
  12. Here's a recent pick up of mine. From a die CNG is calling "Fine Style for series." It is more elaborate than most of its counterparts.
    Aspendos Stater.png

PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos. Circa 465-430 BC. AR Stater (16.5mm, 10.74 g). Warrior advancing right, holding shield and spear / Triskeles within incuse square.

Curtisimo, TIF, Shea19 and 8 others like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

This is a very cool type! Nice score @Shea19 ! Here's mine:

[​IMG]
    PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos.
    AR Stater, 22mm, 10.78g, 12h; c. 380/75-330/25 BC.
    Obv.: Two wrestlers grappling; ΦK between, below
    Rev.: Slinger in throwing stance right; EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to left, counterclockwise triskeles of legs to right; lion countermark in lower right field.

Curtisimo, TIF, Shea19 and 7 others like this.
  14. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Another one with the 'belt-wrestlers'...

Pamphylia Aspendos - Stater 2247.jpg PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos
    AR Stater. 10.94g, 24.2mm. PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos, circa 420-410 BC. SNG Cop -; SNG von Aulock -; Tekin Series 1; SNG BN 47 var. (direction of triskeles). O: Two wrestlers grappling; the one on the left holding his opponent's leg and belt, the one on the right holding his opponent's neck and belt. R: EΣTFEΔIIVΣ, slinger in throwing stance right; triskeles to right in field; all within dotted square border.
    Ex Roma XIII (23 March 2017), lot 366

Curtisimo, TIF, Jwt708 and 8 others like this.
  15. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

OMG....those abs!!

16. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

Great coins everyone, thanks for sharing...if I was a betting man, I’d put my money on this guy to take down all of the other wrestlers here.

17. Nvb

Nvb Well-Known Member

Stater 380-325 BC v. Chr. Ancient Greece from Pamyphlia, Aspendos

[​IMG]

PAMPHYLIA, Aspendos. Circa 380/75-330/25 BC. AR Stater
    Two wrestlers grappling; Slinger in throwing stance right; EΣTFEΔIIYΣ to left, counterclockwise triskeles of legs to right; all within square border of pellets. .
    Weight: 10,8 g
    Diameter 22mm

Curtisimo, DBDc80, Shea19 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted