Asking the impossible--help with Mac & Di provincial

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Roman Collector, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

This one has very rough, corroded surfaces and I can't make out a single letter of the inscription on either side of the coin. I believe it's Macrinus and Diadumenian based on the portraits. It's probably -- but by no means certain -- from Moesia Inferior or Thrace, based upon the presence of a "centration dimple."

It's tetrassarion-sized:

Macrinus and Diadumenian.jpg
    Macrinus and Diadumenian
    Roman provincial Æ (tetrassarion?) 25.2 mm, 10.06 g, 12 h
    Unknown city and issuing authority
    Obv: [illegible inscription], lauriate and draped bust r., facing Diadumenian, bare-headed and draped bust l
    Rev: [illegible inscription], female deity (Ceres?) standing left, holding object (corn ears??) and cornucopiae.
    Ref: ?

I'd be grateful for anything to go on! Thanks in advance!

chrsmat71 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

On reverse, It looks like a deity riding a horse. Head Left.

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

The only thing I have in my collection with confronted busts of Macrinus and Diadumenian is from Markianopolis, but the reverse looks different from what I can see on your coin:
    Macrinus 2.jpg
    MACRINUS
    AE 26
    OBVERSE: ΑΥ Κ ΟΠΕΛ ΣΕΥ ΜΑΚΡΕΙΝΟΣ Κ Μ ΟΠΕΛ ΑΝΤΩΝΕΙΝΟΣ Κ, laureate head of Macrinus right facing bare headed head of Diadumenian left
    REVERSE: ΥΠ ΠΟΝΤΙΑΝΟΥ ΜΑΡΚΙΑΝΟΠΟΛΕΙΤΩ/Ν, Artemis, huntress, advancing r., reaching for an arrow in quiver at shoulder and in her l. hand holding a bow; below a hound. E to centre l
    Struck at Markianopolis, Moesia Inferior, 217 - 218 AD
    10.4g, 26mm
    Moushmov 532

chrsmat71, Johndakerftw, TIF and 3 others like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I see Tyche on the reverse, holding cornucopiae and rudder.

dougsmit, TIF and Roman Collector like this.
  6. Roman Collector

Looking at it in hand, I think that's it.

7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Definitely! You can see enough of the tops of the heads to know that the style is that of Macrinus and Diadumenium and of course you're right about the overall style being typical of Moesia Inferior.

At a glance the reverse seems hopeless but Zumbly is right-- you can definitely make out Tyche standing left, holding a rudder and cornucopia;.

Roman Collector likes this.
  8. Roman Collector

Looking through Wildwinds, acsearchinfo, Sear's Greek Imperial, it's clear there were only a few cities that struck these coins of Mac & Di with confronted busts and this has to be Marcianopolis. Moushmov 571 or 575, I think.

9. George McClellan

George McClellan Active Member

Until someone mentioned Tyche, I was ready to go with Artemis advancing r.

10. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

That would make it a coin like this one, from Marcianopolis, rev. Tyche with cornucopia. This is a pentassarion (marked E for 5 assaria), 26 mm, 12.17 gr.
    3211 Macr kl.jpg

11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The E is visible on the OP coin so now you are down to cities that marked the denomination that way.

Roman Collector likes this.
  12. Roman Collector

That narrows it down to Markianopolis for sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted