Asking for Clarity (as in explanation-can't get better clarity on pics)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Sam Stone, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Sam Stone

Sam Stone Old, fat, bald, gray, ugly, lazy, and married

More important than my questions, first I want to wish everyone good health for you and all your loved ones. My family prays, but if you don't believe in Faith feel free to let me know what I can offer and if it's at all within my means (and legal, I guess) please let me know.

I pulled out a few photos I took a while back and meant to ask about them. One is a dark toned Lincoln Cent. I don't expect it to be valuable, I'm not understanding what causes some coins to turn this dark. I found a few articles about "black beauty" nickels and I have a couple of them to compare and it doesn't seem to be the same thing. I know some compounds, UV exposure, chemicals, etc., can turn coins orange with yellow polka dots because I have them, too. Is there something specific that causes coins to turn certain colors like my very literally orange pennies, this dark color, and whatever else I'm seeing?

My second picture is old too, but I haven't had a chance to set up with my better equipment, but I think this one should work for now. In the bottom of the 6 there is an odd melt over that simply flops down. The same coin has some slight doubling on the 9 as well. If it was one without the other it would make more sense to me, but I would think one process would preclude the other. One or the other, but not both. BTW, the 7 looks a little doubled in the picture, but that's just poor lighting and lousy photographer.

Finally, I can't find my notes that tells me why it looks like something to a bite out of the cent. Is it a clipped planchet? I know the color looks like another bad pic, but it actually is another different dark tone as depicted. I'm pretty sure I can get some of whatever causes the black coloring off with a high speed drill wire brush, but I'm concerned about what life will be like after my wife gets me home from the ER after trying it. Not to mention how many of the rest of my tools will be missing, never to be seen again.

Again, I'm not asking for anyone to say these are the only ones like them in existence, I just need to continue to learn the hows and why's.

Be safe, be careful, and you may not know us but my wife, son, and I are praying for everyone here.

Thanks for any info you can give about my questions. View attachment 1093964 View attachment 1093965
    1585629732907.png

Attached Files:

rascal likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

These darn copper plated zinc cents can do about anything even rot up and turn into a pile of corrosion. as for the area that appears to be a small clip the coin is in so poor condition it would be hard to tell for sure.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

On the 1987.. That is a Copper Plated Zinc Planchet.
    The plating was compromised and the zinc rotted away at those 2 areas. That would not be an Incomplete Planchet. It is Damaged.
    Exposure to water, saltwater and brackish water will affect the color and composition of plated Cents.

@Sam Stone .. Try this, take another Cent. If it does not fit into the curvature of the area in question then it is definitely not an Incomplete planchet. Why is it called an Incomplete planchet? Because the planchet was punched out to close to a previously punched out planchet. A clipped planchet is not actually clipped!

Look at this thread
    https://www.cointalk.com/threads/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-incomplete-planchet-error.77334/

@physics-fan3.14
    I'm showing a very old thread that you created from 2009 ;)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    tibor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted