Asking advice

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Wade Elliott, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Your eyes are the best judge. Save your money and slab them yourself. The best decision is your own! Good luck.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

Re: the Barber; I don't think it's a proof, and possibly a counterfeit. If I am reading the photos correctly (and I could be mistaken!) I am seeing raised metal pimples in the right obv field and on the bust. Some letters in GOD appear malformed. If the "pimples" are real it has to be fake. Maybe the scratches were to "mark" it as such?

Wade Elliott likes this.
  4. capthank

capthank Well-Known Member

You will always get really good advice here on CT. Ultimately it is your choice after receiving the advice. Neat that you are collecting after receiving 1/2 of your fathers collection.

Wade Elliott and John Skelton like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would add a comment, but it would just mirror @lordmarcovan's post #3.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  6. Phil's Coins

Phil's Coins Well-Known Member

Totally agree with M'Lord, the coins are good for your collection/trade but sending to a TPG i think would be spending $$ that could go to a better use.
    JMO
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Magnus87 and Wade Elliott like this.
  7. Wade Elliott

Wade Elliott Active Member

Semper Fi

8. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

I agree, not worth the time and effort to send them in. Cleaned. I also thing the draped bust half looks suspect. The denticles just don't seen quite right. Could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time. Thanks for sharing.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

Flying Eagles - I assume the 1868s are a typo and 1858s are what you meant. Small Cents are usually what is referenced by the term Flying Eagle, but somewhere in the back of my mind, the term was used for a pattern or two, possibly gold.

The 1856 Flying Eagle has been a point of debate on whether it was considered a pattern or a General Issue, though it appears that general issue has won the day. The Whitman Folder had slots for 1857, 1858 Small Letters ans 1858 Large Letters when I was young.

But I do seem to recall a Private mint flying eagle and it might have been 1868.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  10. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Once again, the capped (not draped) half is OK. The high rims are a trademark of that particular die marriage.

From PCGS--NOT MY COIN.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    ldhair, Penny Luster and Wade Elliott like this.
  11. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

To me, and this is what I see/look for...the coin appears lackluster...void of any natural luster...a "washed out" or "flat" look from cleaning(s), exposure to chems and the sort. Kind of like women's hair after they've colored and bleached it too much/often and/or used various chem-rinses, treatments, etc...the natural (key word, "natural") sheen/luster is shot, never to return or be restored. I ain't no hairdresser but just happen to think of that comparison/analogy.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  12. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

Okay, I can understand that.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  13. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

Wade Elliott likes this.
  14. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The Barber looks like a proof. Another way to tell is that on a proof, the rims are squared off which yours appear to be. On a circulation strike the rims are more rounded.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  15. Wade Elliott

It's just glare from my surfacepro.

16. Wade Elliott

Appreciate your knowledge on this. Many thanks.

17. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

The design was modified in 1834. I think you might be comparing apples and oranges.

Wade Elliott and masterswimmer like this.
  18. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

Many articles questioning authenticity and statements that the coins have been cleaned. What better way to establish both would be to spend the money and have them certified (or not if fakes). You can then be sure of what you have, and don't have to worry about possible storage problems for the raw coins. The best part is that it is up to you, based on all the input from experienced collectors, on what action to take. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Wade Elliott and SensibleSal66 like this.
  19. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

FWIW, I do not see any red flags as to authenticity here. They've all got some issues (mostly cleaning) that would preclude a straight grade if they were sent in, but I don't doubt they're real.

(Edited to add: there is, of course, the chance I could be wrong on that.)

However, there may be some value to sending the Barber half in, merely to certify it as a proof. That's up to you.

I believe (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), that proof sets of the era that coin (the Barber) was struck in, were issued with tissue paper covering the coins, and the sulfur in the paper caused toning which sometimes progressed to coal black over time! So many of the proof Barbers on the market have been cleaned.

I had a lovely PCGS PR63 CAM 1898 half from the Benson collection. It was white with Cameo contrast, and it had likely been cleaned, but not harshly enough for PCGS to "details" grade it. They gave it a straight grade despite some hairlines.

I have my doubts that the Barber half in the OP here would straight grade, but it does look like a proof to me.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  20. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Correct Capped Bust. Sorry.

Wade Elliott likes this.
  21. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

If the Barber is a proof, not sure? I would say that the surfaces have been altered.
    Something just looks off to me.

Wade Elliott likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted