Ask Before I Bid - Ask Before I Bid - Ask Before I Bid

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Randy Abercrombie, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I am a confirmed US coin guy and get myself in trouble each and every time I come over here and look at you guys coins... Yet, I never learn.... I saw a "Tetradrachm" in a post here that I thought was one of the most spectacular looking coins I had seen. The bust with the lion headdress just melted my butter..... So for about a year I been on the hunt for one and I see they run maybe $500.00 and up.... Two days ago I see Heritage has an auction of ancients and I am running wide open at work but take a second to peruse the offerings and lo and behold.... There it is. Good looking centered bust. It was perfect. One day left on the bidding and the piece barely has any interest... So I plug in what I think is a reasonable number to see where this one goes...... Last night I am trading texts with our illustrious @lordmarcovan and he gently lets me know I have placed a Tetradrachm size bid for a Drachm, or about a dime sized coin.... Well phooey. It's a pretty safe bet I will be winning this one..... Will you guys please stop posting photos? ;)

Drachm.jpg Reverse.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The Meat man

The Meat man Well-Known Member

Sorry about the confusion! But, that is a spectacular drachm!

4. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Your hi bid doesn't mean that you gave too much to everyone else, it just means you gave too much to the bidder under you. Nice Coin.

lardan and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The quality of that drachm far outweighs the mistake, IMO. Enjoy it

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

It's a decent coin with nice toning on it. These drachms are common and come in decent grades. So I am sure you're over paying going through that auction site.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

The last show that I purchased an acient coin the dealer had one like this for $200 It was out of my budget but yeah....Randy you aren't "the only one whos wants exceeds their needs." ;)

8. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I don't know, but it seems to me that there is a starting bid and your high bid will be placed by increments as other bids are received. I have a drachm in my collection for which I paid $95 ten years ago

9. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

I like the control marks. Is that a dog or a sphinx? Either way it is unusual.

sand and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Cherd

Cherd Junior Member Supporter

Accidentally overbidding on an item isn't too big of a deal....... Unless somebody else makes the same mistake that you did on the exact same coin! :facepalm:

In cases like this, the thing I've always been worried about is the auction company itself shill bidding on it's own behalf (when it comes to money, I always assume the worst in people and companies). Heritage is pretty much the only major auction house where I shop, and in my experience, this does not happen (I've won multiple coins for literally 1/3 of my proxy bids). So, hopefully you find some comfort in that!

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I almost bid on one myself recently but I passed on it. I do like it but I don’t really know enough about them to bid to high in an auction. I do not count other people’s bids as reliable as I’ve seen plenty of bidding fever.

12. Collecting Nut

@Randy Abercrombie No I will not stop posting photos. If I do you wouldn’t want to help me like you do now. LOL :):)

13. medoraman

Btw @Randy Abercrombie , did they post weights of the coin? I know some slabbed coins do not have this information, and some sellers also do not, both of which are massive disservice to bidders. I always look at weight to be able to judge relative size in my mind, to know better what I am bidding on.

Hope that helps. It has helped me bid better after a few disappointing, "oh, I didn't know it would be this tiny" package openings taught me better.

14. Randy Abercrombie

Oh, they clearly noted in the auction information that the piece is 19mm. I don't see the weight listed. I just acted in haste..... Like I never done that with a coin before... LOL

sand, LakeEffect and CoinCorgi like this.
  15. Randy Abercrombie

The description states, "Forepart of a lion".

16. Collecting Nut

Just done tell your wife. Lol As if she doesn’t already know.

17. Randy Abercrombie

She doesn't have the safe combination.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

LOL

19. medoraman

Smart man. Mine does. :( She asked to put her "middle tier" jewelry in it a few years ago and I was stupid enough to agree and give it to her. At least I wasn't dumb enough to give her access to SDB, (yet).

Ryan McVay and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

You know that it sucks that we don't get to see some of the other coins that would be posted,
    I am calling all the other folks that left, partly because of my input, that they Post every once in a while, so we know you are doing ok. I am a firm believer in second chances.
    There's only a small number of real collectors.
    I would put that in a nice wooden box, if I were you.
    It's a nice looking coin.

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

At least you bought a nice coin. That’s better than overpaying for junk, right?

Draft saved Draft deleted