Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

spirityoda likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

At one time I started a "Certificate of Authenticity" collection.

It was all from basically worthless garbage that people brought into the coin shop and paid way too much for.

Unfortunately they found out that they had been ripped off when they came in to sell. My old boss would buy darn near anything. I saved the COAs for kicks until my wife got tired of it and made me throw them away.:(

DonnaML likes this.
  4. clembo

midas1, svessien and spirityoda like this.
  5. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

spirityoda, Alegandron and DonnaML like this.
  6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Looking at the link, it has to be him. I'm absolutely glad I was wrong.

akeady and DonnaML like this.
  7. BJBII

BJBII Metrologist, CSSBB

While Clinton may have much to live down, I believe "Billy Beer" was a product related to Jimmy Carter's brother, Billy. And it had his signature on the can.
    s-l500.jpg

bcuda, DonnaML and masterswimmer like this.
  8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Here is one for you!
    HELLO KITTY BEER
    [​IMG]
    Hello Kitty fans in China could get drunk on admiration for the character.AMY ROSS, FLICKR // CC BY-ND 2.0
    The endurably adorable Hello Kitty has enchanted children everywhere for decades, which makes the precocious feline a puzzling choice to endorse an alcoholic beverage. Licensed from Sanrio, the owner of Hello Kitty, the beer was released in 2013 by Shanghai KT and brewed by Long Quan. A variety of different flavors, including passion fruit, peach, banana, and lemon lime were available. While just 2.3 percent alcohol by volume, the beer was said to be so smooth that over-indulging could be a problem. The beverage was only available in China.
    Source: https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/645258/brands-that-went-off-brand
    upload_2021-4-15_8-17-50.png

9. Something no one else seems to be interested in... Genealogy, searching for Ancestors... You would be surprised at the people I am related to. When one gets back past the 1400's the records get fuzzy. Have to be cautious about how accurate they might be.

10. masterswimmer

@Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis likes this.
  11. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I have three different versions of this can

12. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

Here is one I have a few different ones of, would hate to have this for a last name.

CAN.png

BJBII, svessien and Theodosius like this.
  13. Evan Saltis

Evan Saltis OWNER - EBS Numis LLC Supporter

Nothing remotely close to that is available for my family. Boring peasants. haha!

masterswimmer likes this.
  14. masterswimmer

Notice his phrasing. He doesn't say he's related to nobility. Just that we'd be surprised at who he's related to. Maybe Genghis Kahn ;)

15. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

from an earlier post in this long thread--

from another post, one of the reasons I am not much interested in going further back than 10 generations

Theodosius and Evan Saltis like this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Marble #2... Amazing colors....looks like a planet...

il_794xN.3046281439_maxf.jpg
    il_794xN.3046281235_ilts.jpg
    il_794xN.2998569160_ms7c.jpg
    il_794xN.2998568808_1nu2.jpg
    il_794xN.2998568812_k1wp.jpg
    il_794xN.3046281045_i2xi.jpg
    il_794xN.3046281305_4o9h.jpg
    il_794xN.3046281307_8uhg.jpg
    il_794xN.3046281175_k4nq.jpg
    il_794xN.2998568972_a0sq.jpg

Carl Wilmont, midas1, Fugio1 and 5 others like this.
  17. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I posted in this very thread, more than a year ago, about my long-standing interest in genealogy. See https://www.cointalk.com/threads/as...any-other-hobbies.290248/page-70#post-4049444. I've been interested in my family history since childhood, and started interviewing elderly relatives in my early teens. I've been doing research more actively for about 30 years now, both for myself and for friends, and have traced the names of almost 250 of my direct ancestors, back as far as the 1500s in the Alsace/Switzerland/Baden triangle. Not so easy for Jewish families. (Before the Internet, it was really tough, even though of course there are still untold millions of archival documents that haven't been digitized and certainly won't be in my lifetime.) I even have some paying clients now.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
  18. Millard

Millard Coindog

I used to fish Bass Fishing Tournaments, alas not anymore but I enjoy bass fishing. I am still a hacker at golf (and probably always will be but that's ok too). I am the family genealogist and have traced both my parents back to our original immigrants (1747 and 1749). Hope to search our Scots-Irish and Welsh roots too someday. Love to read fiction and non-fiction. Didn't get heavy into coins until about eight years ago.

Theodosius and DonnaML like this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Got my 3 Modern art marble off Ebay just now...Tammie Tanner 1.68" Glass Marble (Orange Blue Vortex) It sure draws your eyes towards the center...

fedrcccx.jpg
    yhyhnnnjknv.jpg
    hyghujjh.jpg
    Marble 1B.jpg
    Mable1A.jpg
    fsdfsadfsdfd.jpg
    sedrfdd.jpg

20. clembo

Dumpster diving.

No really. It started off last fall.
    I go to a local park and read often. I noticed some of the local power company workers working on a substation.
    I got curious and when they left checked out the dumpster. I pulled $150 in copper out of that dumpster.
    Finally the power company gave ME something.

At first I felt like "really, I'm dumpster diving?" but the more people I talk to the more I find that dumpster dive to some degree.

My next foray was a block from my house. I saw some wood in a dumpster and thought I could probably make a raised bed out of it for my garden.
    Under that wood I found boxes of brand new dishes. Restaurant grade stuff and I've already sold some.
    Digging deeper I found more goodies most of which will be for sale.

An 8 foot counter top which will be put up beside my shed as I cook outdoors a lot. Brand new handbags with price tags up to $60 and a great variety of brand new hair weaves as well as about 20 large print bibles.

Next to the dumpster was a large filing cabinet which my neighbor helped me haul home. I'll show you what I did with that in my next post.

When that dumpster was gone I spied more wood behind a car dealership in the same strip mall. Good stuff so I figured I better ask about it. I did and they said take it.
    A few hundred bucks worth of wood. Just had to pound a few nails from some pieces and again I'll show you what I've used it for.

Then this week sure enough more wood in the same strip mall. I went there yesterday and the guys dumping it were out there.
    I began chatting with them and they're opening a pawn shop. I gave them my card to let them know I know a bit about coins. Told them I worked in a shop for 10 years so who knows.
    Turns out we know a lot of the same people in the coin and pawn business.

Anyway, they were cutting the wood up and throwing it in a dumpster they keep locked because people use it as their own dumpster.
    I told them I was interested in some of the wood and I'll be darned if they didn't load it up in their pickup and follow me home with it.
    Nice guys as it would have taken me several trips as I tote it on the roof of the car.

Yep. Dumpster diving has been quite fruitful for me.

21. clembo

I love to garden. Nothing like fresh veggies and I've had a what I call a "hillbilly garden" for years.
    I used to paint for a living and 5 gallon buckets are great for gardening.

Luckily I have good neighbors as my hillbilly garden has expanded thanks to my dumpster diving exploits.

Here's what I did with the filing cabinet my neighbor and I dragged home.

100_5767.JPG

I call it my "filing cabinet o food". So far three types of lettuce and beets are growing in it.
    A few of those buckets in the background have radishes and carrots.

In a few bins I yanked from a dumpster I have green onions, more radishes, bok choy and snow peas up. How appropriate to have snow peas as they did get snowed on the other day. All plants are fine.

Next was a work in progress when I took the picture.

100_5768.JPG

A 6x3-1/2 foot raised bed built from the wood I got from my dumpster diving/scavenging missions.
    It's ready for planting now and I completed another the same size yesterday.

I will soon be planting 4 varieties of tomatoes, 5 kinds of pepper (all spicy), cukes and zukes, green and lima beans and a plethora of herbs (all legal).

Gonna be a good harvest this year!

midas1, svessien, catadc and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted