Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

This is legendary. I am just in awe... and REALLY thirsty!

bcuda and Southernman189 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

I spend money on expensive audio equipment like over ear headphones and headphone amps/DACs therefore I'm also an audiophile.

Theodosius likes this.
  4. Southernman189

Southernman189 Well-Known Member

No "Billy Beer" lol poor ole' Bill Clinton will continue to have to live that one down.

5. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

The "Guess the Next Poster" thread has a whopping 1636 pages dating back some 13 years.
    I believe I was the second or third to post.

Bored? This should keep you busy for a while.;)

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/guess-the-next-poster.36433/page-1636

6. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

Threads come back to page one when somebody posts something new to them. That's why very old threads like this can keep coming back to page one. Generally it's considered rude to revive a thread more than a year or so old except in the case of threads like this that are meant to be ongoing.

7. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I didn't know that. Is this a rule of the forum? I've received "likes" on threads that are 4-5 years old. This rule seems similar to one recently posted that said only one request for help in identification per day. Are these arbitrary. The reason I am asking is it seems lately we haven't been as friendly and humorous as we used to be. Perhaps it's just me, but I miss posters like SteveX6 and TIF and bunch. Humorous posts are as important as serious academic posts.

8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I also never heard the "rule" about not reviving threads more than a year old, unless a thread is intended to be ongoing. It doesn't happen often anyway, and when it does I don't think it's a product of rudeness -- mostly it's either (1) the same person who started the thread coming back to update it with new information, whether about a coin or the subject in general, or (2) a new member not realizing that it's an old thread, who posts on it because they found the thread in a search and they're interested in the topic. So I don't think it's worth making up a rule about it, or suggesting that people who break that rule are necessarily being rude.

I do, on the other hand, think that it could legitimately be considered rude to post a half-dozen requests for help (with identification or otherwise) in a 24-hour period, all as separate threads rather than combining them into one thread. Not because it's inherently rude to do so, but because there are only 20 threads on the front page at any given time, and once a thread is knocked to the second page it might as well not exist for all the attention it gets. And posting so many threads in a single day has the effect of "disappearing" a lot of other people's threads, some of which (as I know from personal experience!) required a lot of research and took a long time to write. Still, though, when this kind of thing happens it's also usually from a new poster who doesn't understand the effect of what they're doing, and stops once that's explained to them. It's only rude if they ignore the explanation.

TLDR: What some people consider rudeness is more often the product of ignorance from new posters, and can usually be corrected with a polite explanation.

Southernman189 and Broucheion like this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This, and the only reason I didn't quote your entire post is that repeating the truth doesn't seem to help much.

I've used forums that take different approaches. Some close every thread after a certain number of days. Some let you post to old threads, but don't bring them back to the top of the thread list. Some do what we do here. The different policies lead to different flavors of discussion. I like the flavor we get here.

DonnaML likes this.
  10. Broucheion

Broucheion Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I prefer to keep all information on a topic in one thread. It seems unproductive to me to have multiple threads with good info in each spread over time and posting space. That’s also why I try not to repost my contributions and only cite the links. I use this forum more for research than socializing so I value posters who economize and don’t force me to scramble when I try to find out all I can on any particular topic.

- Broucheion

11. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I just returned to CT after a several year hiatus but started here in 2007.

It seems there were always lengthy threads back then that were basically about nothing. Just a bunch of folks getting together (usually in the morning) shooting the breeze and having a few laughs.

I see nothing wrong with that. Since I've returned I've reconnected with a few of those folks on this and another forum.

Heck, I found them by posting on a VERY old thread.

12. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

With regards to reviving very old threads, I am merely repeating what I saw posted when other people did it, when I joined this forum three or four years ago. It seems people objected mostly to new people reviving multiple-year-old threads with a post that's only peripherally related instead of starting a new post with an appropriate topic.

I don't think there's anything wrong with a person adding to a thread they started when new information is available. I don't really even mind people reviving old threads if they have something that's on topic and that adds to the original thread. I've discovered some threads started years before I joined that way. So I guess this was just a consensus opinion and maybe it's changed as we've lost some long time people and gained a lot of great new people.

I really miss Stevex6 and TIF. If you were not part of the board three or four years ago it's worth going back and reading some of their classic posts.

DonnaML likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

We should note that we have also come down on people (usually new posters) who post one thread asking ID's of a dozen coins all in that one post. Part of this is from a few people who posted these mega-requests and then offered the coins with our research on eBay. Some of us don't mind helping the clueless but draw the line as being used as unpaid labor by would-be coin dealers.

I agree with Donna's dislike of threads that push good threads off of page one so I tend to ignore requests for too many ID's in too short a period no matter how many posts are used to show them all. I feel we are here to teach men to fish but the ones who expect free meals should not expect fine dining.

Regarding rules: Most people consider any rule with which they disagree to be 'arbitrary' while rules with which they agree to be 'Gospel'. Personally, the 'rule' I would like to see is one that would reject posts in the 'ancient' group by people who do not realize that they are posting in the 'ancient' section. This is especially the case when we are told that all cleaned coins are trash or some other subject that applies to modern coins (for which CT has dedicated sections) but not to ancients (which are all trash, anyway). Opinions are one thing but answers to questions are better when the person posting that answer know where they are posting. I do not and should not post answers about modern coins (about which I know nothing) using data I have about ancients. Some here will disagree with me on this but I do wonder why they are reading posts in an area they do not have interest other than misleading people.

Egry, svessien and DonnaML like this.
  14. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

15. Maceraci Define

Maceraci Define New Member

Past away???

16. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

When discussions blather on, I like the old rules...

1) “POST AN ANCIENT COIN!”

:D

[​IMG]
    Roman Republic Anon AE Litra 241-235 BCE Mars Beardless Horse Head Craw 25-3 Sear 594

17. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I'm not certain, but I think so.

18. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

TIF was around again for a good part of last year, and until a few months ago. I think she's just really busy with her new job and other things.

Theodosius and Egry like this.
  19. Maceraci Define

Maceraci Define New Member

I have no words to say, but it is a pity that this forum has lost that cheerful person.

20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I miss TIF too.

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am gonna start a glass Marble collection...

il_794xN.3002069943_ghxd.jpg
    il_794xN.3002069959_9kig.jpg il_794xN.3002069863_bkrj.jpg
    il_794xN.2954363578_gtle.jpg
    il_1140xN.2954363590_l0px.jpg

Etcherman, midas1, Deacon Ray and 4 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted