Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Tell me about it . My Mom moved from South Dakota . Those are some thick skinned people . Farmers true and true . Peace .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

To @Cucumbor and @DonnaMLWOW!!! I’m without words when I read your posts and try to take in these photos that you’ve posted of your grandfathers. I visited the Verdun battlefield cemetery and ossuary and the experience affected me greatly.

Thank you for posting!

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Which undergrounds?

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Here are a couple of old pics:

Great Grandfather (maternal) in the U.S. Navy circa 1918.

ottomuir.jpg

Great Great Great Grandfather (paternal) in the 18th Ohio Infantry

(picture of the CO and senior sergeant) - he was a private so is not in the pic

18thohio.jpg
    My Dad's ship in Viet Nam, 1968 (he was the CO)

LST905a.jpg

My Dad's ship during the Iran Iraq war operating in the Arabian sea. (He was the CO)

fox.jpg

Lastly, my Dad with Joe DiMaggio in Viet Nam, 1969, he's the guy on the left

dimaggio.jpg

6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Does anyone fly fish ?? I love tying flies . Anyone else ?

Everett Guy and Theodosius like this.
  7. Everett Guy

Everett Guy Well-Known Member

spirityoda likes this.
  8. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

I love to do Family research, I have done a few stories on some of my Ancestors.
    This is the first one I ever did.

j martin.jpg

Decided I owed it to my Great Great Uncle John Martin Pealer to write a little about Him. So here goes.

John Martin Pealer
    And His Story
    John Martin's parents John Frederick and Margaret Pealer were immigrants that came form Germany in the fall of 1838 looking for a better life. They landed in New York and traveled to Worthington Township Richland Co. Ohio. With three small children a few clothes and $1.20 in money, they managed to secure the use of a stable until they found better quarters to live in. It was here that John Martin was born and raised with 7 brothers, all helping their Father work the farm fields until they could buy land of their own to farm.
    In 1861 the Civil War broke out (Deadliest war in American history) between the northern states loyal to the union and the southern states that had seceded from the union. John Martin joined the 64th Ohio Infantry Volunteer Regiment on October 19th 1861 for 3 years to fight for the union. (A corporal from the 64th wrote in his Diary We are now fighting to destroy the cause of these dangerous diseases, which is slavery and the slave power. There were others who joined up for the adventure with their friends). I would think this would have been the reason John Martin joined at the young age of 20 years. Sadly John Martin was shot in the Right lung at the battle of Chickamauga. He died In a Nashville hospital on October 26 1863 at the age of 22 years. He is buried at the Nashville National Cemetery plot E,154. Picture of His headstone is below.
    John Martin's detailed service and battles are as follows:
    1861: Moved to Louisville, Ky., December 14; thence to Bardstown, Ky., December 25. Duty at Danville and Ball's Gap, Ky., January and February 1862.
    1862: March to Munfordville, thence to Nashville, Tenn., February 7-March 13, and to Savannah, Tenn., March 29-April 6.
    1862: Battle of Shiloh, Tenn., April 6–7.
    1862: Advance on and siege of Corinth, Miss., April 29-May 30.
    1862: Pursuit to Booneville June 1–12. Duty along Memphis & Charleston Railroad until August.
    1862: March to Louisville, Ky., in pursuit of Bragg, August 21-September 26. Pursuit of Bragg into Kentucky October 1–15. Bardstown, Ky., October 3. Battle of Perryville October 8 (reserve).
    1862: March to Nashville, Tenn., October 16-November 7, and duty there until December 26. Advance on Murfreesboro December 26–30. Nolensville December 27. Battle of Stones River December 30–31, 1862 and January 1–3, 1863.
    1863: Duty at Murfreesboro until June. Reconnaissance to Nolensville and Versailles January 13–15. Tullahoma Campaign June 23-July 7. Occupation of middle Tennessee until August 16.
    1863: Passage of the Cumberland Mountains and Tennessee River, and Chickamauga Campaign August 16-September 22. Reconnaissance toward Chattanooga September 7. Lookout Valley September 7–8. Occupation of Chattanooga September 9. Lee and Gordon's Mills September 11–13. Near Lafayette September 14. Battle of Chickamauga September 19–20.
    Thank you for your sacrifice, John Martin Pealer may you rest in peace.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    -jeffB, Egry, +VGO.DVCKS and 4 others like this.
  9. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

One of many American hero's, may they all RIP, God Bless. Thanks for your very important post. Be safe

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would like to see pics of your custom knives and crystals and gemstones collections.

11. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Only a couple of bucks on eBay - stereopticon card of the Roman Forum, Column of Phocas, Temple of Saturn, Plutei of Trajan. Not sure I "collect" these, but I could see getting a few such views:

Rome - Stereopticon for MAW Jan 2021a.jpg

12. AuldFartte

AuldFartte Well-Known Member

I'll post some at a later date, yoda. Thanks!

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Those are some amazing photos, @ancient coin hunter !

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Just bought this cool looking bronze tarantula... for the spider collection...

il_794xN.1134009409_llac.jpg
    il_794xN.1714826325_hy6h.jpg
    il_794xN.1714826361_5jxz.jpg
    il_794xN.1714832391_nb3x.jpg
    il_794xN.1667353858_pnn2.jpg
    il_794xN.1087420782_cygj.jpg

15. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

spirityoda likes this.
  16. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I am gonna wear this 1 as a pendant when it comes in the mail.

17. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

SELLING AT FLEA MARKETS, ALSO BARGAIN HUNTING AT TAG SALES, AND AUCTIONS, ANTIQUES, WRITING AND READING

Deacon Ray likes this.
  18. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

19. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

...Okay, don't leave us in the dark, is there any acknowledged relation?

Alegandron likes this.
  20. otlichnik

otlichnik Well-Known Member

Did. A couple years back. Stunning book if you are a hard-core sci-fi fan.

Any attempt to describe it - "space spiders" etc - sounds lame and cheesy. Better to just read it. It is neither lame nor cheesy.

SC

21. Victor_Clark

Victor_Clark all my best friends are dead Romans Dealer

I spent considerable time looking up family history in Tennesse and I am mainly interested in my ancestors that served in the military. My grandfather was descended from the Bradleys. I started with Richard Bradley, my 5th great grandfather.

Richard Bradley was born in Duplin County, NC in 1758 and died in Sumner County, TN in August of 1827. Richard joined the Continental Army, and the quote below is from his pension application.

"Richard Bradley, while a resident of Duplin County, North Carolina, enlisted August 9, 1777, served as a corporal and sergeant in Captain Henry Dawson's and James Read's companies, Colonel Thomas Clark's North Carolina Regiment, wintered at Valley Forge, was in the Battle of Monmouth, went south, was in the siege of Charleston, South Carolina, and, on May 12, 1780, was taken prisoner and remained such for two years and three months, made his escape, and was discharged in the Fall of 1782, near Charleston. He served a tour of two or three months against the Tories in North Carolina, assisted in taking prisoners and in shooting one Tory, and was discharged in November or December 1783, officers’ names not stated."

This guy was a Revolutionary Rambo.

During his time in the military, Richard married Catherine Taylor ( b. 1763 Duplin County, d. Aug. 1839 Sumner County) on 24 July 1783. They lived in Duplin County, North Carolina. Richard Bradley is listed in the 1790 census from Duplin County. The family eventually moved to Sumner County, TN. The earliest record of Richard in Sumner County appears to be a land grant from Tennessee dated 1803 for thirty six acres. He was granted land on Drakes Creek, and according to the 1820 tax records, he had 194 acres. Here is a copy of his will from 1827. He left his property to his wife and other children, one of which was Abraham, or Abram for short.

This is Abram Bradley

AbramBradley.jpg

Abraham Bradley ( 13 Feb 1792- 25 Dec 1866) was born in Caswell County N. C. The earliest record of Abram is a land grant from Sumner County dated from 1813 for 46 six acres of land at Drakes Creek, near his father. Abraham fought in the War of 1812. He served under Colonel Thomas Williamson in the 2nd Regiment West Tennessee Volunteer Mounted Gunmen. This unit served from September 1814 - April 1815. According to the regimental histories, "they helped Jackson take the port of Pensacola from the Spanish on 7 November 1814. Williamson's men then participated in all of the engagements at New Orleans, where they were part of the left line of Jackson's breastworks. In March 1815 they returned to Tennessee via the Natchez Trace." Below is a copy of Abram's discharge from his service record.

1812discharge.jpeg

ZelphaBradley.jpg

Abram married Zelpha Dorris ( Oct 1795- 20 Sept 1864) on the 27th of June, 1818 in Sumner County. The father of Zelpha was also a Revolutionary War veteran. Abram was appointed postmaster of Fountain Head TN in 1839. Maybe his military service helped him get a job at the post office! Abram and Zelpha had four children-- Alexander (1819- 1872), Abigail (1822- 1855), Richard (1825- 1908) and on 22 July 1834, Abram and Zelpha had another child-- A.W. Their son, A. W., joined the 30th regiment when he was 27 years old. Zelpha passed away while A. W. was fighting, and Abram died about two years later

A.W..jpg AW Bradley

Here is a link that includes the combat seen by the 30th Tennessee Infantry regiment.

This is a list that I compiled that gives significant dates for the 30th

Battles for the 30th

11- 16 Feb 1862 Battle of Fort Donelson TN

POW

Feb- Sept 1862 Camp Butler IL
    lots of deaths in POW camp

cousins and uncles and two great grandfathers

emp-jort1.jpg
    Thomans Empson died of cholera at Camp Butler as a POW

Trans-Mississippi

22 Nov 1862 Tippah Ford, MS (Abbeville)

3 Dec 1862 Springdale, MS

29 Dec 1862 Chickasaw Bayou near Vicksburg

March 1863 Port Hudson, LA

3 July 1863 Edward's Station, MS

12 May 1863 Battle of Raymond MS

emp-jort2 (1).jpg

Cousin Empson killed at Battle of Raymond...still buried there

13 July 1863 Yazoo City, MS

10- 17 July 1863 Siege of Jackson MS

Army of Tennessee

19- 20 Sept 1863 Chickamauga GA

25 Nov 1863 Missionary Ridge, TN

Atlanta Campaign

7-13 May 1864 Battle of Rocky Face Ridge

13-15 May Resaca, GA

9 Jun 1864 Pine Mountain, GA

27 Jun 1864 Kennesaw Mountain, GA

20 July 1864 Peach Tree Creek

22 July 1864 Atlanta, GA

31 Aug- 1 Sept 1864 Jonesboro, GA

Oct 1864 Big Shanty, GA

Invasion of Tennessee

26- 29 Oct 1864 Decatur, AL

30 Nov 1864 Battle of Franklin, TN

AW leaves on medical discharge-------- spent in Mobile AL

5-6 Dec 1864 Murfreesboro, TN

16 Dec 1864 Battle of Nashville, TN

The Last Battles

2 Apr 1865 Hazel Run, NC

21 Apr 1865 Battle of Bentonville NC

the war is over discharge paperwork

parole.jpeg

conduct of safe passage

conduct.jpeg

after the war, AW married Frances Empson, sisiter of two men he had served with.

FrancesEmpson.jpg

I still have a fifty from them

50obv.jpeg

-jeffB, Nyatii, Theodosius and 9 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted