Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

there is always the Para P14 which holds 15rds of 45ACP or the Ruger 57 with 21rds of 5.7x28.

Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

21 rounds would be to much I think and to long.

4. Nyatii

Too long for concealed carry? or too long....?

Alegandron likes this.
  5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Double stack.

Alegandron likes this.
  6. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

So from how far away could any of you hit an AE3 LRB, thereby combining the two hobbies?

Kentucky and Nyatii like this.
  7. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I think it depends how far away you are willing to hold it.

:)

8. Nyatii

Depends on what I'm shooting and if you will settle for a once in a while thing or consistent hits. Handgun or rifle.
    I posted this before. It was shot pretty close (15yds) but a good 5-shot open sight target:
    [​IMG]
    I can do pop cans on a consistent basis with a 45 Colt open sights. But then again that is a little larger than most coins. Ha! Would fit into the currency category.

9. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

try the taurus pt92 seireis a lot less expensive, you can get after market clips that hold 18 or 25 (extended mag) and 1 in the pipe makes 19 rounds or 26, and it is exactly the same as a baretta, all parts are interchangeable, get a gas recoil siuppressor and gun is good for 20,000 rounds before replacing springs..great gun used to own a few..

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Thank you, but for now I will stick with Glocks. Yes they are expensive, but I like how easy they are to take apart and clean and they are accurate.

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I do not have my concealed carry yet. I just think that magazine would stick out to far.

12. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

link did not work. opps.

13. Nyatii

Clips are used to hold a woman's hair. Taurus uses a magazine.

Yes, those guns are harder to carry concealed depending on several things like stature and clothing. If it's too big a person tends to not carry as much. It's easier for me to carry my Colt Commander cross draw AIWB or shoulder holster. It's also easier when in a vehicle. With that said, the gun I always have whether I have a larger gun on or not is a KelTek .380. It's cheap and holds 7 rds. I can keep all 7rds on a grapefruit at 25 yds. They are the gun that Ruger modeled it's LCP after. The FBI used them for hideout guns. They are so light that I often forget I have it.

I purchased the Wilson Combat EDC X9 shown in a previous post for several reasons. They are a bit pricey. However, I don't shoot 9mm very much and why not have one really nice gun rather than 8-10 others. Well, maybe except for the Waffen marked P-38 and Luger which I will probably keep. Anyway, it's a quality gun, guaranteed accuracy of 1.5" at 25 yds, either 15+1 or 18+1 rds. And very concealable.

Mostly for people protection besides the KelTek, the guns I carry most are one of my Colt Commanders in 45ACP or ParaOrdinance. Big critter protection sees me mostly carrying my S&W Mountain Gun in 45 Colt with loads that put the 44 Mag to shame. If I need more I'll take my Ruger converted to 475 Linebaugh.

spirityoda and Alegandron like this.
  14. Preif18

Preif18 Member

I collect NY Islanders Hockey cards especially the goalie cards, I had season tickets for 29 years. At one time collected Columbia’s Expo items, now recently got back to coins and also started collecting interesting ANA Badges and medals.

dadams likes this.
  15. N5GWU

N5GWU Member

I have collected coins off an on since 1955. I was stationed with the Air Force in a lot of different countries so I always picked up a circulating set of the local coins and my favorites were the Philippines with the coins minted in the United States in the early to mid 1900s and the British coins since you could find pennies back to the mid 1800s in junk bowls at the local markets. For a while I was collecting world crowns and that made for an interesting collection.

Now that I'm much older and don't travel and my eyesight isn't as good as it once was, while I still spend a lot of money on certified US coins, I also collect vintage non sports cards (PSA or SGC if you don't mind). I am a collector of guns, primarily milsurp, but I don't get much chance to go out and shoot them. I'm a HAM radio operator (have been since 1984 and was a Morse Intercept operator in the Air Force) and I have had a variety of hot rods, my last being a 23 T bucket, currently up for sale to fund something with opening doors and a roof and may air conditioning).

I collected stamps and first day covers for a number of years and while I still have most of them that collection is dormant for now.

I also have a LOT of model trains including Lionel in original boxes, HO and N gauge and some S and Z scale. I don't have a layout due to lack of space and lack of time.

At one point I collected old books, especially when I was in England since old there means things that are really old and stuff from the 1800's was considered pretty new.

I believe that coin collectors are a special kind of people that are drawn by a gene in their makeup to things that catch their eyes.

16. N5GWU

N5GWU Member

I too am retired military and before joining the Air Force I only had 3 moves under my belt. In my 23 years of active duty I moved a total of 15 times, and since my retirement in 1992 3 more times.

Wow, I have a lot of crap for moving that many times, especially since the military would only move so many pounds of stuff for you depending on your rank at the time.

Alegandron, Numisnewbiest and DonnaML like this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

N5GWU likes this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

If my memory serves, we moved 23 PCS (Permanent Change of Station) moves in my 33 years of service and 5 moves since I retired. My wife seems to be ready to move every 3 years. :oops:

dadams and Alegandron like this.
  19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

My spider collection... plastic and metal... no real spiders...
    .999 cast silver tarantula
    sp 1.jpg
    sp2.jpg
    sp3.jpg
    Image06122020132302.jpg
    Image06122020132252.jpg
    .925 silver brooch
    Image06122020132329.jpg
    Image06122020132313.jpg
    Image06122020132630.jpg
    Image06122020132642.jpg
    Image06122020132651.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    dadams likes this.
  20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

These larger ones had wheels and came out of a plastic crate when you clapped your hands. With fresh new batteries the spider would roll out fast and knock the trapped door down. You could scare someone when the spider came out lol....

Image06122020132915.jpg

Image06122020140158.jpg
    Image06122020140329.jpg
    Image06122020140341.jpg
    Image06122020140433.jpg
    Image06122020140357.jpg
    Image06122020140408.jpg

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted