Aside From Coins, Do You Have Any Other Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Yup i'm another old school muscle car guy.
    Love the GM's the best but the Buick's are my passion. Daily drove from 79 to 86 a 66 GS starting in high school.
    Now I have a 70 455 Stage 1 thats been garaged from the 90's.
    Not a show queen but with a new trunk floor and left front fender it would be a super driver car.
    Modding Star Trek TOS phaser toy's with high power lasers is my latest hobby but getting tired of it by now.
    So I went to penny role hunting again for now..

Attached Files:

dadams likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus Maximus

Parthicus Maximus Well-Known Member

Besides coins I have two other hobbies. I like to read books especially books about history but also novels. My other hobby is classical baroque music. I find it interesting to read about this and of course listen to the music. The composers I listen to most are: Vivaldi and Bach, followed by Handel and Telemann. Some music I now listen to:

The music above is from a recent reconstruction of Jordi Savall of Bach's lost Markus passion. The first is the opening choir, the second is one of my favorite arias.

Other music I also like:

I wanted to add more but it is not allowed

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Roerbakmix, midas1, dadams and 2 others like this.
  4. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Oh yes, the old 67 C2 on the new C-6 drivetrain:D
    The 400hp 427 came with a powerglide?:confused:

5. oldfinecollector

oldfinecollector Well-Known Member

This letter have a great story as it was sent by an English gentlemen in Paris during the 1870 187 between France and Germany, the guy relate very difficult time as the German military were around Paris to starve the people that couldn’t enter or go out of Paris. The letter was sent by an air balloon and after by boat up to London. This English gentleman was meeting people like Thiers a famous politician and wrotte to his girlfriend in London about politics and also how people survive in Paris at this key historic time. It is an important postal history in my postal history collection F279E068-C515-4557-BFBE-62B4AB9ADF0C.jpeg

Etcherman, midas1, Broucheion and 4 others like this.
  6. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

Do you know anything about Hitler stamps?

Attached Files:

7. oldfinecollector

Hi, no as I was always focus on French stamps and French postal history from 1849 to 1900.

8. Hazmatt

Hazmatt Active Member

That's a good time for stamps from that region

9. dadams

dadams Well-Known Member

I picked this up just a few weeks ago as opportunity presented:
    tn_FranceBalloonSiegeMedal.jpg

10. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Interesting story and letter. Thanks for posting.

oldfinecollector likes this.
  11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I own a few different interpretations of
    Misere mei Deustransferred by Gregorio Allegri

One of my favorites is by the Tallis Scholars in the Sistine Chapel, Vatican. The singers are in different locations in the chapel so it's a very spacious recording. Beautiful.

It sounds terrific on my old school Vandersteen speakers

Miserere has a very interesting history:

"Allegri wrote the Miserere to be sung in the Sistine Chapel during the Easter celebrations. During the service, which started at 3.00am, there would be 27 candles burning. The Pope would gradually extinguish the candles until there was only one left burning. The Miserere was performed as the pope prayed at the altar with the single candle.

This piece of music became very popular, and the Vatican did not want anyone else to perform it. No one was allowed to take the music away from the chapel or make copies of it. The Vatican called for excommunication of anyone trying to make a copy. However, by 1770 there were three known copies of the music. One of these was given to Emperor Leopold I by the pope. Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart visited the Sistine Chapel during a tour of Europe with his father in 1770. He was just 14 years old, but heard the piece and wrote all the music out from memory later the same day. A second visit enabled him to check that he had it written correctly. It is believed that Mozart's copy of the music was sent to England where it was published by Dr Charles Burney. It would be assumed that Mozart would have written the improvisations in his copy. Burney's version lacks the improvisations, so it possible that he removed them, and destroyed Mozart's copy to avoid trouble with the church. There were no copyright laws in those days, so there was nothing that the Vatican could do about it."

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    -jeffB, Parthicus Maximus and dadams like this.
  12. oldfinecollector

Nice as you know each air balloon have a name and a crew.

The Gutenberg was one of these balloon I can if you want have more information about it on one of my book about 1870 war time and postal history ?

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

NATURAL RED MEXICO CRAZY LACE AGATE

Mexican crazy laze.jpg

14. oldfinecollector

spirityoda likes this.
  15. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

I constructed a motorized model of Isambard Kingdom Brunel´s gigantic 1859 steamship, the "Great Eastern", in 1:150 scale:

1584652002.jpg

17844-1584487084.jpg

17844-1584487094.jpg

It is built out of 100 % LEGO :)

Attached Files:

16. oldfinecollector

Julius Germanicus likes this.
  17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

LEGO makes rope now? ;)

spirityoda likes this.
  18. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Some scopes:

ar1524.jpg

z10.jpg

I've actually got four telescopes.

19. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  20. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

10" Zhumell with dust cover on. Other telescope is a 6" refractor.

-jeffB likes this.
  21. Julius Germanicus

Julius Germanicus Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted